Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Anyone ever sell prints at a street fair...

Michaelparris
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone ever sell prints at a street fair...

If so got any advice....

Oct 30, 2017 at 03:37 AM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone ever sell prints at a street fair...

I've sold prints at fairs, but only at fairs that focus on art...not handy craft hobbies. Stay away from the latter as people that attend these types of fairs are looking for merchandise on the cheap.

The cost of getting ready for a fair is not cheap and includes tents and a bunch of your images printed out and mounted. You also need to take into account the costs of travel and accommodations at the different locations fairs are held.

Bottom line, it's s neat experience but don't think you'll make any money...in fact expect to lose money if you take all costs into account.

Oct 30, 2017 at 01:22 PM
coops75

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone ever sell prints at a street fair...

You can make money but it may take a few shows to recoup your initial costs, which will be quite high, probably. A good used copy with walls will cost you around $800-$1000, then a print rack or two. A credit card slider and of course your prints. I buy pre-cut mats and foam board and make my own prints, putting it all together myself. I use metal prints on the walls. They look great and are quite durable for transporting from show to show. Show can cost $200 to $600 and more to do, as well as the costs of travel etc. I usually do local shows. In fact I have not done a show for several years and have my first one in two weeks. I have spent around $4000.
The show I am doing first has always been good to me, averaging $3500 when I did it regularly. My second show in March averages $1500 for me and my third averages $3000. So by the time I get back my initial $4000 and replace stuff I have sold I make only a little extra, but will be in good shape for the next show season. Then again I may make squat. I usually make a few online sales also.
Its not something you can really do once, and I would not recommend it to anyone who has an easily bruised ego. Your work may be great but you will have times when a photographer down from you with questionable work cannot keep up with sales while you sit and twiddle your thumbs.

Oct 30, 2017 at 04:12 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone ever sell prints at a street fair...

Thanks for the input!

Oct 30, 2017 at 04:35 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone ever sell prints at a street fair...

Not street fairs, but at art "fair" events, including one that I just did in San Francisco this past weekend. (I'm part of a group of night photographers known as 'Studio Nocturne SF" that has participated in the SF Artspan Open Studios event for many years.)

Your question is so open-ended that I/we can't really give you a comprehensive answer, especially since we don't know your background or starting point. So, lacking that, a few thoughts.

1. The odds are that you will make little or no money, especially at first, and that the costs of preparing work and creating your set-up, including tables, places to hang work, lighting, marketing stuff, and so on will be somewhat substantial. I won't go so far as to say it is impossible, but I don't know anyone who actually makes a substantial contribution to their income by doing this sort of thing. Honest answer? It is likely to cost you more than you'll make for some time, and even when you start to make more than it costs, the amount you'll make per hour of actual time is likely to be very, very low.

2. If you value the potential to be seen by people who may be interested in the sort of work you do, then that could have some value. For me — and your situation may be different — that means visibility to potential clients who are serious collectors of photographic art and who mostly come specifically with that in mind. General "street fair" traffic (or tourist traffic in one location where our group exhibited) rarely has this effect, since most of your traffic will be pretty casual, those that do make a purchase will likely make a very small one, and very few will seriously consider buying more expensive work.

3. Depending on where you show your work, you may be far more likely to sell small stuff — little prints, cards, etc. — than big prints. On the other hand, some big prints can make you more visible and might encourage those small item buyers to look at the less expensive stuff.

4. So, small stuff can make for easier sales... but the profit margins are tiny. You'd likely have to see hundreds of cards, or even thousands, to cover your start up costs.

I'll stop there for now...

Dan

(One more observation. These things are often very unpredictable. First time I did one, I made most of my sales on cards, which surprised me as I had priced them on the high side. So the second time I brought even more cards... and didn't sell any, but did sell large prints! This year, I did well. However, one of our group members who always gets good sales — and other productive leads — didn't sell a single piece!)

Edited on Oct 30, 2017 at 08:36 PM · View previous versions

Oct 30, 2017 at 06:22 PM
mikeinctown
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone ever sell prints at a street fair...

To me street fair sounds like a photo booth with costumes and cheap 8x10 event. Charge someone $10 to look goofy in a photo booth and print them out their picture. If you plan on selling prints of your work than I would follow the advice above as I've never seen anyone buying prints at a street fair.

Oct 30, 2017 at 08:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone ever sell prints at a street fair...

whatever

Oct 30, 2017 at 11:49 PM
AmbientMike
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone ever sell prints at a street fair...

I've done a few craft shows, some of them were outdoors. One was indoors but made for people who were attending a kind of outdoor event around town to walk through.

Here's my suggestion: Matt it, put it in one of those plastic sleeves (I am forgetting the term,) try to hit $29 price point, maybe some less expensive. But have higher priced stuff, too.

I think people might like the canvas, which is ready to hang, for bigger more expensive pieces.

I overestimated the market, and printed on Hahnemühle. I'd have been better off with cheaper paper, but matted and in plastic, I think.

A lot of people really sell a lot at these. Make a good living, and travel all over, michigan, Florida, etc.

One photographer sold $5k in a week, it rained, said $13K the year before, IIRC. And he wasn't selling the most there.

One woman was selling $90 or so non-photo art prints all day long. Almost certainly 6 figure income. Fleur-de-lis art in Louisiana.

http://candicealexander.com

Oct 31, 2017 at 03:59 AM
AmbientMike
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anyone ever sell prints at a street fair...

I'd also recommend more iconic stuff, like Fleur-de-lis,New Orleans, or plantations with Spanish moss, in Louisiana. Of course adapt it to your area. It's a trick to get the right stuff out there.

The guy I kinda knew went to Africa regularly, but didn't really sell wildlife prints much. Just not the right stuff.

Oct 31, 2017 at 04:15 AM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anyone ever sell prints at a street fair...

Thank you...Well informed answer

Oct 31, 2017 at 03:47 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Anyone ever sell prints at a street fair...

Are you doing juried shows? I used to sell woodworking at juried shows many years ago, and to show there I had to send photos of my stuff to a jury to qualify. However, those events were for higher quality items with prices to match. Where you show may affect your reputation. Sell at lower quality events and your rep will be for selling lower quality stuff.

At least that was how it worked long ago in a galax... - sorry - got carried away.

Ron

Nov 01, 2017 at 12:19 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password