New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Canon Pixma Pro 10 -- Opinions?

lara_ckl
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon Pixma Pro 10 -- Opinions?

Before anyone flames me, this is cross posted to both the Post-processing&Printing Forum and the Nikon Forum (where I hang out).

I am thinking of buying a Canon Pixma Pro 10 (not Pro 100) printer soon. A few stars aligned.

I shoot a bit of everything. Most of my "print worthy" shots are from the D810. I have a backlog of about 70 photos I want to print large. After that is cleared, I should average 2-3 large (11x14 or 13x19) prints a month. Maybe 10% will be B&W.

One of the "cons" I can think of for this printer is that it was introduced 5 years ago.

However, I like its price point (around U$430), larger ink tank (compared to the Pro 100), pigment ink, 10 ink palette, Canon's reputation of non-clogging (compared to Epson), and Canon inks are cheaper vs Epson (to me in Canada).

Any other pros/cons I am missing?

Oct 30, 2017 at 12:37 AM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon Pixma Pro 10 -- Opinions?

Found a negative. (I confirmed with an owner.) The Canon Pixma Pro 100, 10 and 1 all won't print borderless on Fine Art paper. Worse, it actually imposes a 1 inch top and bottom margin on the three sizes of Fine Art paper it allows.

(Apparently, if you use Fine Art paper, you have to select that in the print driver. If you select Regular Photo paper to bypass this limitation, the printer won't be using the right black ink for Fine Art (usually matte) paper.)

Oct 30, 2017 at 09:40 PM
DtEW
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon Pixma Pro 10 -- Opinions?

lara_ckl wrote:
Found a negative. (I confirmed with an owner.) The Canon Pixma Pro 100, 10 and 1 all won't print borderless on Fine Art paper. Worse, it actually imposes a 1 inch top and bottom margin on the three sizes of Fine Art paper it allows.

(Apparently, if you use Fine Art paper, you have to select that in the print driver. If you select Regular Photo paper to bypass this limitation, the printer won't be using the right black ink for Fine Art (usually matte) paper.)

I also own a PRO-10.

See this thread:

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Professional-Photo-Printers/Will-Pro-10-print-borderless-on-fine-art-papers/td-p/35265

Using/setting the printer by the straight-and-narrow, the Canon will enforce large margins on fine art papers if you specify that as the paper profile* in the printer driver. Because the PRO-1/10/100 do not feature a vacuum platen, this is a typically Canon-conservative approach to reduce the possibility of head strikes that result from the paper curl manifested in some fine art papers.

* - This is a different thing from the printer/ink/paper ICC profile; the paper profile tells the printer how to handle the media in terms of paper thickness, vacuum power (if available), how much ink, what kinds of ink, etc.

Of course, there are workarounds, as you can gather in that thread. Paper suppliers that supply PRO-10 ICCs often ask you to set the paper profile/type as "Premium Matte" so you don't have to incur the super-conservative margins.

Disclaimer: *I* don't print on fine art media with my PRO-10, as I have another (larger) printer for that. I also use my PRO-10 with Precision Colors (read: aftermarket) inks. The cost of fine art media will easily exceed even OEM ink costs, esp. on wider formats (read: bigger tanks = cheaper ink by volume). Therefore fine art paper only gets OEM ink in my usage (putting cheap ink on expensive paper seems penny-wise, pound-foolish)... which again is to say that I don't print on fine art paper on *my* aftermarket-ink equipped PRO-10. YMMV.

My (potentially-biased) opinion of the PRO-10 is that it is a good entry-level fine-art-capable photo printer. You noted that it's 5-years old, perhaps insinuating that it doesn't incorporate the newest-and-greatest technologies and most-recent developments. The flip-side of that is that it's a well-known quantity, whose quirks and peccadilloes have been well-explored and documented... none of which have led to negative judgment of its overall worth (see the opposite for the Epson Stylus Pro x900 printers). Being that reselling a printer is considerably more difficult than reselling most other photography equipment, playing the bleeding edge should really be reserved for more-experienced print-makers. Therefore the PRO-10 is a good choice for getting into printing.

One thing to note, assuming you don't know this: fine-art-capable printers, esp. pigment printers, are more like pets than equipment, in that they require constant use (read: consumption of materials) in order to maintain their functional health. If you print once every few months, your will very soon have an expensive paperweight that you might not be able to resuscitate even after putting through a few hundred dollars worth of ink in a vain attempt to unclog it. These printers need to be used regularly, ideally at least once a week. I have a Google Calendar reminder every week to run at least a nozzle check print on both of my printers. You need to consider if this is what you're willing to sign up for. A lot of people find that it's just too much responsibility, and using a professional service is preferable as it allows them more temporal (i.e. print/don't-print when you want; none of this if-I-don't-print-on-a-regular-schedule-my-printheads-will-clog-and-lots-of-ink-will-be-consumed-in-the-hope-of-unclogging-them), format (i.e. no upward constraint in size), and media (i.e. you can't just buy a couple of sheets of a certain type of paper) flexibility.

Oct 30, 2017 at 10:36 PM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon Pixma Pro 10 -- Opinions?

Thanks DtEW for your detailed response.

DtEW wrote:
My (potentially-biased) opinion of the PRO-10 is that it is a good entry-level fine-art-capable photo printer. You noted that it's 5-years old, perhaps insinuating that it doesn't incorporate the newest-and-greatest technologies and most-recent developments.

Actually, I am more worried that Apple's one-OS-version per year schedule is going to leave this printer without a supported driver.

Which leads me to another question: Does Mac OS High Sierra support the Pixma Pro 10/100?

Oct 31, 2017 at 12:16 AM
Andre Y
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon Pixma Pro 10 -- Opinions?

If you use matte paper from any of the high-end brands like Canson, Hahnemuhle, then the fine art settings will affect you, but if you print on semigloss, luster, or glossy paper, then it doesn't matter. I think it's a fine printer, and with a good profile, makes beautiful prints. I use mainly Red River's Palo Duro Soft Gloss Rag on it these days, but have liked its printing on various baryta and Canson's Platine. B&W is pretty good on it too. If you don't print for a while, the printer will use up more ink in order to clean itself, but the upside is that even after leaving it unused for months, it will fire right up and print fine.

I believe that Canon just released a driver for High Sierra. I'm using mine on Sierra right now, but they're usually pretty good about releasing a driver for the newest Mac OS in the past.

Oct 31, 2017 at 03:02 AM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon Pixma Pro 10 -- Opinions?

Andre Y, thanks for the info.

I am planning to use Canson Baryta and Platine. Both (I am pretty sure) uses the Photo Paper Plus Semi Gloss profile which would allow borderless printing. I would love to try the Red River Palo Duro which I've heard is similar to the Canson Platine but Red River's shipping to Canada is prohibitively expensive.

Edited on Oct 31, 2017 at 04:30 PM · View previous versions

Oct 31, 2017 at 03:19 AM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon Pixma Pro 10 -- Opinions?

Stay away. I've had miserable experiences with both 10/100 and won't touch another canon printer. Canon was fabulous and at one point sent me a new printer but it was the worst experience. The thing eats ink while trying to fix issues and I've burned $$$ for nothing. My pro 100 is going to be posted for $100 locally with paper (the paper alone is worth more)... so someone else can deal with the printer.

Oct 31, 2017 at 04:01 AM
mikeinctown
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon Pixma Pro 10 -- Opinions?

Aside from the one person who has nothing but trouble out of thousands ^^^ I can say that I love both my Pro-100 and Pro-10 printers. The pro-100 produces really vivid images but the Pro-10 produces better images to me. The two different types of inks lend themselves to the differences. I've worked around that by just making sure there was more contrast in my editing and the photos print out nicely. I've used Red River, Canon, and some samples of the H brand that I will butcher if I attempt it without looking up the name. No problems as of yet and IIRC they all had custom ICC profiles that I was able to use in the editing software before even hitting the print button. I have been using the OEM inks but am going to switch to Precision Inks as they claim to have matched the OEM colors with the exception of red. i'll just buy the red Canon as needed.

I've left my printers sitting for nearly 6 months (turned off) and they still work fine. Also, if you are looking for the Pro-10, keep your eye out because every so often a different company will offer the Pro-10 on sale for like $400 then offer the $250 rebate as a mail in which gets you a great net price.

Oct 31, 2017 at 12:27 PM
Baronphoto
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon Pixma Pro 10 -- Opinions?

My 10 worked perfectly at first. After sitting for 6 months, the nozzle check showed some heads not working. After cleaning and deep cleaning some colors will not print (Reds). The same files were sent out commercially with great results. The maintenance screen shows that there is still plenty of ink in all tanks.

Looking for any help to solve and how to get all nozzles working properly.

Oct 31, 2017 at 01:47 PM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon Pixma Pro 10 -- Opinions?

^^^^Make that two people... out of 5 or 6.

Oct 31, 2017 at 02:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mike Veltri
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon Pixma Pro 10 -- Opinions?

You could try soaking the plugged nozzle with windex for 5 minutes, then do a nozzle check. Submerge the head in 1 to 2cm of windex, and dont get everything else wet. Make sure its totally dry before reinstalling the head. Good luck.

I have also read about soaking in a solution of warm water and liquid dish soap. A few tablespoons of soap in warm water and let is soak for 24 hours. Rinse with clean water and make sure its totally dry before reinstalling.

Good luck

Oct 31, 2017 at 02:59 PM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon Pixma Pro 10 -- Opinions?

Clogged printheads are an unfortunate "feature" of higher end photo printers. Like DtEW said above, you need to plan to use it regularly.

Oct 31, 2017 at 04:31 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon Pixma Pro 10 -- Opinions?

no, not really. i haven't had a clog in my Epson 3800 and I've gone months w/o printing.

Oct 31, 2017 at 04:34 PM
mikek200
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon Pixma Pro 10 -- Opinions?

Andre Y wrote:
If you use matte paper from any of the high-end brands like Canson, Hahnemuhle, then the fine art settings will affect you, but if you print on semigloss, luster, or glossy paper, then it doesn't matter. I think it's a fine printer, and with a good profile, makes beautiful prints. I use mainly Red River's Palo Duro Soft Gloss Rag on it these days, but have liked its printing on various baryta and Canson's Platine. B&W is pretty good on it too. If you don't print for a while, the printer will use up more ink in order to
...Show more

Andre'...excellent post.
The RR Palo Duro,is one of my favorite papers,recently I did a test between it,canson platine,and the photographigue,same image ,all done on the Canon Pro-100,..all printed in Qimage,I let them dry for 24 hours.
To my amazement,,they all came out ,exactly the same.
Just to check ,what I was seeing,I asked the boss{my wife}..to view all of them in normal daylight,her response was..."why did you print the same image 3 times"...I then told her to look closely,and to tell me which one looks the best-..answer.."they all look the same".

I do love Canson products,but lately,I seem to be having very good results with RR.;also,their tech support is outstanding,if you call them,they answer in 5 minutes,,on hold??,they're back in 2-3 minutes.

Mike

Oct 31, 2017 at 04:42 PM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon Pixma Pro 10 -- Opinions?

sjms wrote:
no, not really. i haven't had a clog in my Epson 3800 and I've gone months w/o printing.

What's your secret?

Did I just perpetuate some internet FUD?

Edited on Oct 31, 2017 at 08:18 PM · View previous versions

Oct 31, 2017 at 05:08 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon Pixma Pro 10 -- Opinions?

I've been running my Epson 3800 for 4 years now. if after a extended period in an off state and i light it up it automatically goes through a cleaning cycle before i'm even allowed to attempt a print job. the 3800 has been the best overall printer i have owned for proofing and such. no secret. it is reliable as all heck. 80ml pigment cartridges that are pressurized before printing and i use their product only.
surprised that there are issues with the Pixma 10 due to its LUCIA pigment inks.

Oct 31, 2017 at 06:14 PM
mikek200
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon Pixma Pro 10 -- Opinions?

sjms wrote:
I've been running my Epson 3800 for 4 years now. if after a extended period in an off state and i light it up it automatically goes through a cleaning cycle before i'm even allowed to attempt a print job. the 3800 has been the best overall printer i have owned for proofing and such. no secret. it is reliable as all heck. 80ml pigment cartridges that are pressurized before printing and i use their product only.
surprised that there are issues with the Pixma 10 due to its LUCIA pigment inks.

Isnt the Pro-10 a pigment ink,printer??

Mike

Oct 31, 2017 at 06:31 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon Pixma Pro 10 -- Opinions?

yes, i corrected my erroneous statement

evidently a little different formulation than the Epson one.

Oct 31, 2017 at 06:32 PM
mikek200
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon Pixma Pro 10 -- Opinions?

DtEW wrote:
I also own a PRO-10."

See this thread:

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Professional-Photo-Printers/Will-Pro-10-print-borderless-on-fine-art-papers/td-p/35265

Some times I use fine art paper,which is a Matte paper and each time, I get this message as well,about the margins.
What I do now,is to use another media setting...such as the "MatteN " setting;..it usually works.

Mike
Using/setting the printer by the straight-and-narrow, the Canon will enforce large margins on fine art papers if you specify that as the paper profile* in the printer driver. Because the PRO-1/10/100 do not feature a vacuum platen, this is a typically Canon-conservative approach to reduce the possibility of head strikes that result from the paper curl manifested in
...Show more

Oct 31, 2017 at 07:37 PM
D_Sh

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon Pixma Pro 10 -- Opinions?

I am coming from Epson R3000 and for me Pro-10 is a much better printer. It produces much better prints on baryta type paper that I primarily use (Canson Platine, Canson Baryta, Harman Gloss Baryta, Ilford GFS, Huhnemuhle Fine Art Baryta) thanks for Chroma Optimizer. It has less problems with the paper feed and no black ink switch mechanism that failed in less than three years on R3000. Also I am not afraid if the head gets clogged, since the replacement head for Pro-10 (QY06-0085) costs GBP115, while Epson would cost almost as much as the printer. This is not a good printer if you like to print on Fine Art Matte paper due to mondatory 30mm margin (the only option to print with MBK ink).
P.S. I would never recommend to buy a printer for anyone planning to print once in half a year. That person really does not need a printer.

Edited on Oct 31, 2017 at 08:43 PM · View previous versions

Oct 31, 2017 at 08:34 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password