1       2       3       4      
       end

Tempted by A7rIII ?

Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Tempted by A7rIII ?

gdanmitchell wrote:
Can you point me to the source of your information for Fujifilm readout on current cameras being 1/30 second, Steve?

So far I haven't been able to find an authoritative source. Best I've found in my brief-so-far search is a reference to some cameras (not identified as Fujifilm) having readouts that may be as slow as 1/30, plus one second-hand report claiming that the readout for the X100T is only 1/15 second..

I'll watch for your reply.

Dan

So far, in my own use of XPro2 electronic shutter I have seen none of the artifacts that might be produced by this. I'll admit that
...Show more

Hi Dan,

This link at luminous landscape claims to measure the XT-1 at 1/10th of a second or maybe 1/30th of a second:

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=96302.0

That is pretty consistent with the number that Jordan (Jman13) gives here at FM. He suggests it is 1/15th here:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/testforum/topic/1336698

Yes, the XT-2 is faster, but likely not more than two times faster. This link claims sensor readout is twice as fast on the XT-2 as on the XT-1:

https://www.cameracompany.com/fujifilm-x-t2-body/

The XT-2 doesn't even have a BSI sensor, which can increase the sensor readout over FSI sensors, but you really need the stacked BSI sensor (like in the Sony A9 and some other small sensors) to get sensor readout speed up to the point where you eliminate rolling shutter effects. So, it sure looks like the sensor readout time on the XT-2 is about 1/30th.

That is pretty consistent with this thread at Fuji X forum "tests" the X-Pro 2's silent shutter as having a sensor readout of 1/22s. So, we are talking the Fuji cameras have sensor readouts that are 4 to 5 times slower than the Sony A9. This will lead to artifacts both with fluorescent lights and with movement if the movement is fast enough.

Edited on Nov 06, 2017 at 09:22 PM · View previous versions

Nov 04, 2017 at 02:58 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Tempted by A7rIII ?

From what I'm seeing, we don't actually know what the readout speed is for the newer Fujifilm cameras, though it is safe to assume that it is slower than the newest Sony.

With that in mind, the electronic shutter is not going to be the best choice of rapidly moving subject that you might shoot at faster shutter speeds, nor for photographs where you are panning at any significant rate. For those... back to the mechanical shutter.

As to the comparison between the newest Sony model and Fujifilm on this matter, it is fair to say that if your photography involves frequent use of electronic shutter for photographs with rapidly moving subjects and/or rapid panning where you could not use the normal mechanics shutter instead you might be able to get about two additional stops of worth shutter speed in that circumstance.

This turns out to be one of those shades of gray differences, and not close to a black and white difference.

Nov 04, 2017 at 05:59 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Tempted by A7rIII ?

gdanmitchell wrote:
From what I'm seeing, we don't actually know what the readout speed is for the newer Fujifilm cameras, though it is safe to assume that it is slower than the newest Sony.

With that in mind, the electronic shutter is not going to be the best choice of rapidly moving subject that you might shoot at faster shutter speeds, nor for photographs where you are panning at any significant rate. For those... back to the mechanical shutter.

As to the comparison between the newest Sony model and Fujifilm on this matter, it is fair to say that if your photography involves frequent
...Show more

I might add that the Sony A9 will have a significant advantage if you use the silent shutter and you have cycling fluorescent lights. The Sony A9 is I believe the only camera that has a fast enough sensor readout so that with almost all fluorescent lighting you won't get banding. All other cameras will showing banding with cycling fluorescent lights if you use silent shutter.

Nov 06, 2017 at 09:20 PM
akin_t
• •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Tempted by A7rIII ?

Not willing to spend that kind of money on photography gear, so no ... I'm not tempted at all.

Nov 06, 2017 at 10:08 PM
BokehBeauty
• •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Tempted by A7rIII ?

The initial temptation got cooled down for me very much when I saw the initial portraits which show the skin tone I hate so much about Sony - http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/sony_a7r_iii_review/preview_images/.

Even the RX1RII with the excellent Zeiss lens shows these skin tones, and as I shoot mostly people and am not keen on extensive PP sessions, it makes my expensive investment a disappointment.

Nov 07, 2017 at 08:20 AM
       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password