New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              8       9       end

Archive 2017 · Tempted by A7rIII ?

ajamils
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tempted by A7rIII ?

Any Fuji user tempted by the A7rIII ? I personally am and I'm looking forward to real world reviews. I've owned A7rII before but ended up selling it due to various reasons some of which have been addressed by A7rIII. 10fps, dual card slots and larger battery are excellent (and much needed) upgrades.

A7rIII + 24-105 F4 and the excellent cropability of 42 mpx sensor should provide excellent flexibility. I just hope that A7rIII has the jpeg engine from A9, which is considered to be the best to date.

Oct 29, 2017 at 07:18 PM
fsiagian
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tempted by A7rIII ?

Very tempted, but the price prevents me from buying

Oct 29, 2017 at 07:38 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tempted by A7rIII ?

It's a sexy beast on paper, but it's still a Sony...which to me means "nope". I have no desire to buy it, but if someone were to give me one, I wouldn't complain (though I honestly wouldn't use it over my XT2).

As kind of a side-note, I was going through my catalog yesterday and came upon a few A7II shots of mine and I have to admit, the color of the files wasn't as pleasing to me as my current Fuji shots...took a bit more tinkering to get it where I liked (vs Fuji).

I've seen people say this before and I never gave it much weight, but that sorta hit me yesterday after doing A/B edits (Capture 1) using A7II and XT2 files. I barely touch XT2 (maybe a bit of contrast, highlight recovery, minor saturation bump) but on A7II I had to (on several examples) actually go into the color channels to get it to my liking. Strange, since I also edited some old A77 files and loved that camera's color.

Oct 29, 2017 at 07:43 PM
ediblestarfish
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tempted by A7rIII ?

Too pricey, and sill lacks a set of lenses like the fujicron trio. That particular combination of value, smaller size, while still providing good quality build and good image quality are what led me to Fuji in the first place, and the A7RIII doesn't fill what I need.

Oct 29, 2017 at 08:01 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tempted by A7rIII ?

cputeq wrote:
It's a sexy beast on paper, but it's still a Sony...which to me means "nope". I have no desire to buy it, but if someone were to give me one, I wouldn't complain (though I honestly wouldn't use it over my XT2).

As kind of a side-note, I was going through my catalog yesterday and came upon a few A7II shots of mine and I have to admit, the color of the files wasn't as pleasing to me as my current Fuji shots...took a bit more tinkering to get it where I liked (vs Fuji).

I've seen people say this before
...Show more

The colour / saturation etc... of an image is very heavily influenced by the profile you use to convert from raw. I've made my own profiles, one for landscape and another for people and am very pleased with the colour right out of the A7R2 when using these profiles in LR.

Oct 29, 2017 at 09:01 PM
ajamils
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tempted by A7rIII ?

Colors from Sony were an issue as well. Like you, I barely have to do anything to Fuji jpegs (or raws) but took a lot of time to get the colors right, specially indoors and that's why I'm hoping that Sony fixed that issue.

cputeq wrote:

I've seen people say this before
...Show more

Oct 29, 2017 at 09:18 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tempted by A7rIII ?

ajamils wrote:
Any Fuji user tempted by the A7rIII ? I personally am and I'm looking forward to real world reviews. I've owned A7rII before but ended up selling it due to various reasons some of which have been addressed by A7rIII. 10fps, dual card slots and larger battery are excellent (and much needed) upgrades.

A7rIII + 24-105 F4 and the excellent cropability of 42 mpx sensor should provide excellent flexibility. I just hope that A7rIII has the jpeg engine from A9, which is considered to be the best to date.

Wrong forum?

I think discussions about this camera belong in that other forum where everyone posts diagonal images trying in vain to find sharp copies of lenses...

Oct 29, 2017 at 09:39 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tempted by A7rIII ?

chez wrote:
The colour / saturation etc... of an image is very heavily influenced by the profile you use to convert from raw. I've made my own profiles, one for landscape and another for people and am very pleased with the colour right out of the A7R2 when using these profiles in LR.

True, I'm just comparing default Capture 1 raw conversions for each camera. Interestingly (to me at least), the A7 II (my last Sony camera) and Nikon cameras share similar qualities when it comes to greens (IMO), in that the hue is a touch off and the yellows also (so that foliage takes on a slight yellow tint and skins too).

Correctable using profiles (I used X-rite for my Nikons and Sonys) but it had been a while since I'd edited a non-Fuji file and I didn't have an X-rite profile, so the reminder was surprising to me (strangely, I don't have that problem with Canon files, nor Olympus. Sometimes Panasonic files look a bit strange in the blues and red/magentas, to me).

All personal opinion of course, YMMV

Oct 29, 2017 at 10:20 PM
arduluth
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tempted by A7rIII ?

ediblestarfish wrote:
Too pricey, and sill lacks a set of lenses like the fujicron trio.

I'd disagree with this now - Sony has a decent set of pretty small, well performing, and relatively affordable primes:

- FE 28mm f/2
- FE 50mm f/1.8
- FE 85mm f/1.8

I love the rendering of the 28/2, which sees regular use despite the fact that I prefer MF lenses, especially for a wide.

IMHO, Sony never got this right on APS-C, not nearly as well as Fuji.

Edit: I guess I'm a Fuji user (X100S) so I guess I can answer OP's question. I'm not interested in the A7RIII. I think it's good for E mount and Sony, but not my thing and more than I'm willing to spend on a body. I'm half heartedly interested in a used A7RII, maybe once used they start selling for less than $1500, which I think will be a while. I enjoyed it when I rented one, but not keen on the size increase.

What I'm really waiting for is an A7 or even A5 - something in the NEX-7/A6x00 style, or maybe the NEX-5 style, maybe with an add-on EVF. I'm not sure we'll ever see this sort of thing, but I'd love it.

Oct 29, 2017 at 10:21 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tempted by A7rIII ?

Nope. Been burned by Sony Electronics too many times in my life...

Oct 29, 2017 at 11:55 PM
PeaktoPeek
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tempted by A7rIII ?

Nah, I like my diminutive Fuji gear. If I go back to FF, it’s back to Nikon- pretty unlikely though.

Oct 30, 2017 at 12:54 AM
liggy
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tempted by A7rIII ?

Nope. Any deficiencies in my images are user related.

Oct 30, 2017 at 01:28 AM
BokehBeauty
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Tempted by A7rIII ?

I’m very tempted, but the decision is very difficult for me.
Pro reasons are multiple, lenses, eye-focus and IBIS. I have multiple Zeiss lenses from my Canon time, and they need the fullframe Sensor to shine. And there are Sony and third-party lenses, which let the Sony sensor sing. I think of the Loxia 21mm and Batis 135mm, and the Sony 100mm STF OIS. Even if I like the Fuji lenses for their sharpness and color consistency (!), bohek and microcontrast is not their strength. The 90mm, 16mm and 35mm f1.4 have nice bokeh rendering, the 56mm and 50..140mm disappoint in that respect, as soon as you have highlight disks in the image. Also contrary to some first class portrait lenses, I only see rather flat images from the 56mm. The subject doesn’t stand out.

What holds me off are the Sony skins colors and the associated excessive postproduction work needed. And the horrible Sony ergonomics! Only with Fuji I experienced that there can be a photographic life with very little time in front of the computer, if I got it right at the camera.

I bought the Sony R1R II because I was disappointed by the continued use of the mediocre 23mm at the X100F. Now I suffer from Sony colors and ergonomics, but love the beautiful fall-off into the unsharp.

Decisions, sweet decisions ....

Oct 30, 2017 at 02:12 AM
cvrle59
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Tempted by A7rIII ?

PeaktoPeek wrote:
Nah, I like my diminutive Fuji gear. If I go back to FF, it’s back to Nikon- pretty unlikely though.

Similar here...D850 is smiling to me!
I tired Sony once, lost a few $'s selling it, and I'm done with it. Never say never, but no plans at all, st this point.

Oct 30, 2017 at 06:36 AM
ediblestarfish
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Tempted by A7rIII ?

arduluth wrote:
I'd disagree with this now - Sony has a decent set of pretty small, well performing, and relatively affordable primes:

- FE 28mm f/2
- FE 50mm f/1.8
- FE 85mm f/1.8

I love the rendering of the 28/2, which sees regular use despite the fact that I prefer MF lenses, especially for a wide.

IMHO, Sony never got this right on APS-C, not nearly as well as Fuji.

Edit: I guess I'm a Fuji user (X100S) so I guess I can answer OP's question. I'm not interested in the A7RIII. I think it's good for E mount and Sony, but not my thing and more
...Show more

Eh, none of them are WS-ed, and none have the nice addition of the aperture ring. The 50mm is also slow and noisy focusing like the 35mm f1.4. There's the samyang 35mm f2.8 for a budget 35mm, but again, no WS and no aperture ring.

I'm so used to using the dedicated aperture ring while the camera is off, it feels annoying to need to turn on the camera and look at a screen to check it otherwise. It's a control I use extremely frequently, so I am loath to give it up.

WS too, as I have destroyed a couple cameras and lenses in light rain unfortunately. Ruins your trip when your camera dies partway through your time away.

Oct 30, 2017 at 07:45 AM
hauxon
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Tempted by A7rIII ?

As a landscape photographer it is tempting (and so is the GFX) but lack of $$$$ keep me with the (still very capable) X.

Oct 30, 2017 at 08:11 AM
fsiagian
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Tempted by A7rIII ?

I cannot use m lenses with nikon. Sony is better because it can share lenses with fuji.

Oct 30, 2017 at 08:33 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Tempted by A7rIII ?

I like to read about new technology and camera advancements. The AR7III looks like a capable camera.

However, I don't change cameras often and I change systems less often. Having just started with the Fuji system, I don't see any compelling reason to jump ship.

When I was considering going mirrorless, I did look long and hard at Sony. If I had taken that route, I'm sure I would be happy. For a number of reasons, both left brained and right brained, I ended up with Fuji and have not been disappointed. I've been so pleased this far that I'm thinking the unthinkable - liquidating my Canon DSLR equipment.

I think some of the capabilities that would compel me to consider the AR7III would more likely steer me to the GFX 50.

Oct 30, 2017 at 08:40 AM
drewmey
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Tempted by A7rIII ?

With constantly changing technology, it has gotten to the point that I ask myself why I shoot and what I am specifically getting enjoyment out of in terms of the hobby, i.e. photography (A process I went through before selling my Canon gear). If I had to sort of break it down into percentages of importance for me, it would look like this: 10% is enjoyment of the physical gear itself, 50% is enjoyment of the shooting experience, 30% is enjoyment of editing photos, 10% is enjoyment visualizing or sharing the final results.

I personally believe the gear lust and final results would improve with an A7riii over my Fuji X-T2. I also think it would not be ground breaking, but probably evident. I also think it is possible that I may enjoy the shooting experience less, which I value more than anything (even final results). It is extremely difficult to justify the extra $$$ when results and gear lust only represent about 20% of "why I like photography".

This is an assessment that I would recommend anyone make before making a huge decision like completely switching systems/brands. For some, results are paramount and warrant the effort/$$$. But most certainly not for me.

Oct 30, 2017 at 09:24 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Tempted by A7rIII ?

The A7rIII seems like a nice, solid camera and a fine "next step" incremental update for Sony users, especially those with something older than the A7rII.

Keep in mind that every camera manufacturer moves things along this way periodically. When Brand A does its update, some Brand B owners seem to worry that they've been left behind or that their work will suffer my comparison. But before too long Brand B introduces its next update and Brand A owners find themselves in the same spot... and the small number who switched for the earlier update find that their new tool is no longer the better one.

And all current photographers, regardless of which brand they use, have gear that is really excellent and which does not limit photographers in any significant way, if at all.

Brand switching is not necessarily always unwarranted, but the prospective changes and improvements to one's photography are virtually always over-stated and the potential downsides diminished. I regularly tell this to folks anxiously considering a "switch," no matter which way their switch will take them — e.g. to or away from what i use.

Dan

Edited on Oct 30, 2017 at 12:43 PM · View previous versions

Oct 30, 2017 at 09:55 AM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.