New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

How to choose display calibration tool?

frank gross
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How to choose display calibration tool?

Does anyone have a comparison chart to help select between DataColor and X-Rite calibration tools ?

Or how/why I would choose one over the other? It's for Mac display.

If there's a link I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Oct 29, 2017 at 10:24 PM
rdeloe
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How to choose display calibration tool?

Frank, Keith over at Northlight (http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/) has reviewed the various tools over the years. Some of the reviews are getting old now (but tools he reviewed are still current in some cases).

I use an X-Rite i1 Pro. It works well and can be run with a lot of software tools.

One thing to keep in mind is that some monitors require a specific tool. For example, I have a pair of Dell U2413 wide gamut displays that use a hardware LUT. You have to use the X-Rite i1 Pro to calibrate them, and you have to use Dell's version of the X-Rite software. I don't think this is very common.

Oct 29, 2017 at 11:59 PM
frank gross
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How to choose display calibration tool?

Thanks.
Essentially, I just want the easiest car to drive. A smooth wizard / interface to get the job done.

Oct 30, 2017 at 01:57 AM
rdeloe
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How to choose display calibration tool?

I don't find anything associated with profiling monitors to be easy or smooth! These Dell U2413 monitors are great once you get them calibrated. But there are some poorly documented things you have to do or it doesn't work. Once I figured it out it was smooth... The X-Rite software interface is fine as these things go.

Oct 30, 2017 at 02:14 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How to choose display calibration tool?

X-Rite hardware tends to be more consistently good than DataColor. It's been a long time since I used DataColor's software but I have an X-Rite device myself (along with Eizo) and have recommended them and helped numerous friends and clients calibrate their screens. The X-Rite software is good and easy enough to use, but the default settings not so much. It's almost always best to choose the largest number of color patches rather than the default minimum number. Takes longer to calibrate but the results are worth it, rivaling the high end Eizo. This is especially noticeable on laptop screens. Use the LUT option as well.

Oct 30, 2017 at 03:51 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Zenon Char
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How to choose display calibration tool?

X-Rite. World leader in this field. I worked in print media for 35 years and we used only X-Rite products. They build a special one for NEC monitors. I tried Spyder on my NEC and it was a mess. I now use a MAC screen and my
X-rite i1 Display does a great job.

Oct 30, 2017 at 06:41 AM
viczig
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How to choose display calibration tool?

I watched a Matt Kloskowski presentation on printing at the B&H event space and he said that any of the popular brands work well. I use a Spyder and its easy to use and works fine.

Oct 30, 2017 at 12:30 PM
GumaRodak

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How to choose display calibration tool?

i tried recently the calibration software DisplayCal, which is using the xrite devices and spyder as well...
this software is free with donations...looks very serious and some folks saying that it calibrates more precisely as original software for the devices..
so i tried with imac, but looks like there is some bug within apple, which is doing deep blacks issue for some preview modes...more on their forums...
until its fixed, i will stay with xrite software...

Oct 31, 2017 at 06:43 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How to choose display calibration tool?

the nice thing of course is how fast you're likely to get a fix for DisplayCal vs. waiting........................... for XRite

Oct 31, 2017 at 08:30 PM
frank gross
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How to choose display calibration tool?

thanks everyone

Nov 03, 2017 at 12:04 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password