Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Where does Lightroom put deleted photos, they are not in ...

tsinsf

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Where does Lightroom put deleted photos, they are not in trash (Mac)?

Lightroom Classic CC (7.0)
Mac OS 10.12.6

I just deleted 1000 photos using Lightroom Remove Photo/Delete from Disk. They are gone from my hard drive, but not in the trash. What happened to them? Does Lightroom bypass the Trash?

Oct 29, 2017 at 09:36 PM
EGrav
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Where does Lightroom put deleted photos, they are not in trash (Mac)?

Yup

Oct 29, 2017 at 10:12 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Where does Lightroom put deleted photos, they are not in trash (Mac)?

Yes, that's why there is a warning dialog that the step is not reversible.

Oct 29, 2017 at 10:36 PM
Zenon Char
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Where does Lightroom put deleted photos, they are not in trash (Mac)?

You backing up your hard drive?

Oct 29, 2017 at 10:40 PM
dclark
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Where does Lightroom put deleted photos, they are not in trash (Mac)?

My deleted files go into the recycle bin (Win 10). I get a warning if deleting more files than will fit in the recycle bin. Must not the same on a Mac.

Dave

Oct 30, 2017 at 12:36 AM
tsinsf

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Where does Lightroom put deleted photos, they are not in trash (Mac)?

After reading too many old google searches trying to answer the question, I found out this: When you Remove/Delete the photos seem to disappear: they are neither in the trash or in their original files. If you shut down and restart the computer, the files appear in the trash. This is what just happened on my computer. I wonder if this is deliberate on Lightroom's behalf, or just a software glitch. Weird.

Oct 30, 2017 at 04:16 AM
doc4x5

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Where does Lightroom put deleted photos, they are not in trash (Mac)?

If you "delete from disk," they should be in the trash, right away, not somewhere in the ether. I just tried it and the file I deleted promptly turned up there as soon as I opened the trash. There's something amiss with your system if they're not just in the trash. I've successfully retrieved files more times than I'd like to admit this way. I use a MacBook Pro and a Mac Pro both wi Sierra and have been using Lightroom since it came out.

Oct 30, 2017 at 04:27 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

doc4x5

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Where does Lightroom put deleted photos, they are not in trash (Mac)?

If you click remove, the file(s) are removed from Lightroom's database only. The original file will be wherever you put your photo files on your hard drive.

Oct 30, 2017 at 04:33 AM
viczig
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Where does Lightroom put deleted photos, they are not in trash (Mac)?

What doc4x5 said.

Oct 30, 2017 at 12:27 PM
tsinsf

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Where does Lightroom put deleted photos, they are not in trash (Mac)?

Here is what I have discovered. LR is on my SSD boot drive but most of my photos are on an external drive. When I Remove/Delete, the deleted photos go to limbo: they disappear from the external drive, but do not appear in the trash. If I restart the computer, the photos appear in the trash. If I Remove/Delete photos on my boot drive, they go to the trash. The external drive is properly formatted for Mac: Mac OS Extended Journaled. So be it.

Oct 30, 2017 at 05:50 PM
doc4x5

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Where does Lightroom put deleted photos, they are not in trash (Mac)?

I have the same setup. LR is on the boot SSD in my Mac Pro, images are on the "photos" hard drive in my OWC Thunderbay box connected by Thunderbolt. I have none of the problems you've had.

Nov 07, 2017 at 10:39 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Where does Lightroom put deleted photos, they are not in trash (Mac)?

viczig wrote:
What doc4x5 said.

But thatís not what the op is doing .
The op says heís clicking delete from disk so no the files will not still be in their loacation .

To the OP :
Is your issue to do with the number and size (total) of files ? If you delete a couple of files do they then go to the trash ?
Canít say Iíve noticed if deletes go to my trash or not . Iím not normally looking for them . But I do also employ a better safety net than the trash can .
I have an old usb 2 drive hooked up to my Mac that is used specifically for LR delete files . Any file that I want to delete from LR is flagged with an X and then I view only X flags and drag all those images to my deletes drive .
Any of my smart collections are set to ignor X flags so the images wonít show up in those collections .
The deletes drive is not part of my time machine backup (why would I want to back up potential deletes ? ) .
Every couple of weeks or so I will have a quick look thru the deletes to make sure I havenít made a mistake and deleted something I didnít want to (I have saved a couple of images that I flagged in error) and then I will delete all those images once and for all

Nov 08, 2017 at 12:12 AM
doc4x5

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Where does Lightroom put deleted photos, they are not in trash (Mac)?

Sorry if this is repetitious but...

In LR, when you select some files and then click "delete from disk," the photo files go to the trash. They are also removed from LR's database. As I said the other day, that's the standard behavior. If you click "remove," they are removed from the LR database but remain wherever you store your photo files. It doesn't get any more complex or simple than that.

Nov 08, 2017 at 12:32 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password