Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       end
  

„Owning“ software is oh so great...
  
 
gdsf2
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · „Owning“ software is oh so great...


This is one silly thread. Perpetual versus subscription licensing is not something we need to argue about. They are two valid models companies are free to use to monetize thier software. Based on the quality of the software AND the licencing approach, we as conumers choose what products to pay for. It is as simple as that.

The only reason this is discussed is because some people like Lightroom software the best, but want a perpetual license which Adobe no longer offers. It is the change people don’t like. Give it a bit of time and those same people will either choose to stay with LR and accept its new licensing terms or move to a different software.

No reason to fight over this folks.

Jerry




Oct 31, 2017 at 03:36 PM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · „Owning“ software is oh so great...


It remains to be seen if there will be viable alternatives, given the shrinking camera market. Most users are fine with their cellphones and jpegs.

EBH




Nov 02, 2017 at 02:20 AM
gdanmitchell
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · „Owning“ software is oh so great...


I'm fine with the Adobe subscription model... but Adobe has also, in the past, had some problems when versions of their software did not play well with OS upgrades. There was a long-standing printer issue between Apple and Adobe a few years back that took a long time to sort out.

I'm all for an open discussion of the pluses/minuses of software subscriptions. (Personally, the idea doesn't excite me, but in actual practice I've found it to be fine with the Adobe products.)



Nov 02, 2017 at 03:53 AM
chez
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · „Owning“ software is oh so great...


gdsf2 wrote:
This is one silly thread. Perpetual versus subscription licensing is not something we need to argue about. They are two valid models companies are free to use to monetize thier software. Based on the quality of the software AND the licencing approach, we as conumers choose what products to pay for. It is as simple as that.

The only reason this is discussed is because some people like Lightroom software the best, but want a perpetual license which Adobe no longer offers. It is the change people don’t like. Give it a bit of time and those same people will
...Show more


I agree, it's the change that really gets people upset...like most changes do. I'm personally fine with this change as I feel LR / PS is the best solution for my needs and really don't care if I pay a little monthly or a lot more once every 18 months like I used to. Right now I plan to continue to use LR / PS into the future unless something drastically changes.



Nov 02, 2017 at 04:10 AM
Paul Mo
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · „Owning“ software is oh so great...


If I can't squeeze out the cost of my CC sub from my photography over the course of a calendar year then I may as well take up Bridge.


Nov 02, 2017 at 04:43 AM
Zenon Char
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · „Owning“ software is oh so great...


Were there any announcements and explanations before the LR Classic, etc roll out? It seems the biggest issue was confusion about what everything did. CC in both LR and LR Classic threw people off as it did me. I was not interested in the cloud in any way. Not forced to use it was the deal sealer for me. I guess you need to follow Adobe blogs, etc but I never do.

This was posted around Oct 18.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-cc-vs-classic-features/

This about the 28th

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/whats-new-in-lightroom-cc-2015-13-6-13/

I don't care if I don't own it. Adobe was connected to my anyway when I had stand alone because I got updates. I checked my history at Adobe and since 2012 with the upgrades I was averaging $80 year.

I must say that Portfolio was a nice bonus for me. I could have found cheaper ways to get a site but I went with Zenfolio. Portfolio is not as sophisticated but it is pretty good. Up and running and looks great. I got it the way I want it so now I'll start adding images. Basically offset my for getting subscription.

I downloaded Capture One Pro again because there was a feature I missed that I wanted to check out. It was not enough for me to spend $300 and at at $10 a month gives me 30 months with Adobe. I'm sure there will be at least one upgrade in the next 30 months. Beta 11 was announced. The $225 deal at B&H is over.



Nov 02, 2017 at 02:59 PM
AmbientMike
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · „Owning“ software is oh so great...


I'd generally rather have the machine I edit on offline anyway. Ive been thinking about getting an old Windows 7 computer to upgrade my XP machines.

Idk if I'll do it, but I'd think they're cheap now. Probably well under $300. Leave it offline, take it back to a previous point, if necessary, and don't get any updates. Might be another solution. I always worry about hdd contents and if they got deleted, though.

I don't think I should go with Adobe right now, with the subscription. But if it's really only $10/mo., that's easier for me than $600+, like it used to be. So I could argue it either way.



Nov 02, 2017 at 03:21 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



charlyw
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · „Owning“ software is oh so great...


AmbientMike wrote:
I don't think I should go with Adobe right now, with the subscription. But if it's really only $10/mo., that's easier for me than $600+, like it used to be. So I could argue it either way.


And you only need to be online for maybe 5 minutes every month to keep the software happy - just sign out and sign in into your account every 30 days (99 if you pay yearly) and that's all the online presence that computer needs to have.



Nov 02, 2017 at 03:30 PM
gdanmitchell
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · „Owning“ software is oh so great...


Paul Mo wrote:
If I can't squeeze out the cost of my CC sub from my photography over the course of a calendar year then I may as well take up Bridge.


Adobe includes Bridge in the subscription.

(Sorry. Couldn't resist... ;-)



Nov 02, 2017 at 04:44 PM
voidsherpa
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · „Owning“ software is oh so great...


charlyw wrote:
And you only need to be online for maybe 5 minutes every month to keep the software happy - just sign out and sign in into your account every 30 days (99 if you pay yearly) and that's all the online presence that computer needs to have.


I have had so many issues (so have others) with CC when I freelance at a magazine production house. Randomly logged out of CC credentials on tether machine for no reason. Then you get stuff expiring with no warning. No grace period so production goes down, it's hilarious.

You know how many times C1 Pro has left me stranded? zero. Guess how many times CS6 has expired on me, zero.


Edited on Nov 02, 2017 at 08:11 PM · View previous versions



Nov 02, 2017 at 05:41 PM
EGrav
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · „Owning“ software is oh so great...


Phaseone released 10.2.1 - fixes bug introduced by Windows update. Mac version now supports High Sierra.


Edited on Nov 02, 2017 at 06:49 PM · View previous versions



Nov 02, 2017 at 06:20 PM
rodmcwha
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · „Owning“ software is oh so great...


Use a mac and photoshop cs5--absolutely no problems.. charlyw must want to take out a contract on me as mad as he is at everyone who doesn't share his problems!



Nov 02, 2017 at 06:25 PM
melcat
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · „Owning“ software is oh so great...


voidsherpa wrote:
I have had so many issues (so have others) with CC when I freelance at a magazine production house. Randomly logged out of CC credentials on tether machine for no reason. Then you get stuff expiring with no warning. No grace period so production goes down, it's hilarious


Yes, seeing something similar.

It's just me, with a single Mac on a wired Ethernet. It would be hard to find a simpler setup and it still doesn't work properly. Around every 30 days it logs me out of CC with no notice.

My working theory is that CC only actually renews the license lease when you log in. But the machine is never shut down except for OS updates and I never log out. (I use the macOS "fast user switching" feature. To leave the machine unattended, I switch to the login screen and then sleep it. On wakeup, it comes back to the login screen so of course requires my password to get back to the active session.)

A proper implementaton would:
- allow the user to see how many days remain on the lease
- allow them to refresh it up to the 30 day/subscription expiry date limit, e.g. when about to go on a trip
- take into account advanced OS login schemes like "fast user switching"
- not wait until right at the end of the 30 day lease to renew it, for those of us with unreliable internet.

As far as I can tell, Adobe's does none of those things.



Nov 02, 2017 at 11:48 PM
1      
2
       end






FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password