Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
  

„Owning“ software is oh so great...
  
 
charlyw
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · „Owning“ software is oh so great...


http://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=26863

So Capture One has a critical bug triggered by the latest Windows update - while this will eventually will be resolved for the current version, how many of the old versions will get that fix? None! And what will be your recourse? One version back you‘ll pay the upgrade price, two back also possible - but what if, as seems common amongst the software owners here, you have an even slightly older one (Capture One 7 is about the same age as Lightroom 5) then it‘s $300 now to be able to use the software you „own“...



Oct 29, 2017 at 09:12 AM
15Bit
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · „Owning“ software is oh so great...


Reported - this is not the way to discuss things.


Oct 29, 2017 at 10:00 AM
chez
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · „Owning“ software is oh so great...


15Bit wrote:
Reported - this is not the way to discuss things.


Huh?



Oct 29, 2017 at 01:10 PM
Emile Gregoire
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · „Owning“ software is oh so great...


V7 was released 4 years and 11 months ago. Renting it for $10 a month translates to $590, so indeed: ownership is great. A bug in other products of that age, say by Adobe for arguments sake, would likely only be squished in the latest release too.

I don't know why you're so adamant that we should all rejoice, dance around the table and be happy about the rental model but your arguments aren't winning me over so far :-)



Oct 29, 2017 at 01:36 PM
Ho1972
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · „Owning“ software is oh so great...


Emile Gregoire wrote:
I don't know why you're so adamant that we should all rejoice, dance around the table and be happy about the rental model but your arguments aren't winning me over so far :-)


Indeed. He's about to land on my Hide list.




Oct 29, 2017 at 01:58 PM
Emile Gregoire
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · „Owning“ software is oh so great...


By the way, for those interested: B&H has a C1 promo for PhotoPlus Expo here in NYC. You can pick it up for $225 instead of $300 until Oct. 30.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/items/ci/33788/N/3591445663 (4th item on the list)

Edited on Oct 29, 2017 at 02:11 PM · View previous versions



Oct 29, 2017 at 02:10 PM
EGrav
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · „Owning“ software is oh so great...


Many bugs with latest Windows update - including several card readers becoming non-functional, and glitches with several other software programs. This is a Windows problem - not Capture One. Nothing to do with ransomware vs perpetual licensing.


Oct 29, 2017 at 02:10 PM
charlyw
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · „Owning“ software is oh so great...


EGrav wrote:
Many bugs with latest Windows update - including several card readers becoming non-functional, and glitches with several other software programs. This is a Windows problem - not Capture One. Nothing to do with ransomware vs perpetual licensing.


And yet it is a problem for those with perpetual licenses, the bug report at Capture One sounds pretty much as if it's in the Capture One realm to fix.

I can't count the number of times when a Windows update forced out company to develop a fix, and even if Microsoft should be at fault. I myself have reported a fundamental flaw in the security enhancements introduced with Windows Vista/Server 2008, tracked and in the end proposed a fix which was implemented after three failed attempts by Microsoft. The fix took Microsoft over a year to implement (and that was basically only changing a single flag that already existed but was never applied to the code path in question) and make available and that only on demand. Had we not developed a workaround to give to our customers we would have been bankrupt. So if you can afford to not have Capture One work for an extended period of time then by all means chalk that up to Microsoft.

Still any fix on Capture One would force anyone with an older version to update at the set price to the current version, because the old versions will not be fixed...



Oct 29, 2017 at 02:48 PM
EGrav
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · „Owning“ software is oh so great...


Capture One is working on a fix, according to Phaseone website. Microsoft is notorious for this. Still nothing to do with ransomware vs perpetual license. Much ado about nothing.


Oct 29, 2017 at 03:41 PM
charlyw
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · „Owning“ software is oh so great...


EGrav wrote:
Capture One is working on a fix, according to Phaseone website. Microsoft is notorious for this. Still nothing to do with ransomware vs perpetual license. Much ado about nothing.


Tell that to those that think they own something valuable in the for of a perpetual license of Capture One 9 or any of the previous versions that now no longer fully function and will not be fixed...



Oct 29, 2017 at 03:58 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



EGrav
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · „Owning“ software is oh so great...


The Microsoft screw up doesn’t affect CO 9. Only a very limited number of people who are on the latest version of CO 10. Only SOME people using sessions are finding that adjustments are not saved. Program still functions normally otherwise. You are trying to twist a relatively common occurrence with Microsoft into support for your agenda. This kind of thing has happened before with Photoshop and other programs - before ransomware. Not the end of the world. MSoft and/or the software company releases a fix. It does not support your argument at all. Have a good day. Not wasting anymore bandwidth over such a silly argument.


Oct 29, 2017 at 04:22 PM
rico
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · „Owning“ software is oh so great...


In Russia, you don't own software, software own you!


Oct 29, 2017 at 04:30 PM
GumaRodak
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · „Owning“ software is oh so great...


I purchased and will do regular update for dollars, you know why? Because it is the cheapest option from the 3 option provided..and i still own the software


Oct 29, 2017 at 04:48 PM
15Bit
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · „Owning“ software is oh so great...


rico wrote:
In Russia, you don't own software, software own you!


Hahaha - All Your Lightroom are Belong to Us....



Oct 29, 2017 at 04:49 PM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · „Owning“ software is oh so great...


EGrav wrote:
Many bugs with latest Windows update - including several card readers becoming non-functional, and glitches with several other software programs. This is a Windows problem - not Capture One. Nothing to do with ransomware vs perpetual licensing.


+1000. This is the problem with the perpetual beta OS of Windows.
I won't risk my software or hardware suddenly not working one day because it won't make any profit for the MS.

EBH



Oct 29, 2017 at 04:56 PM
butchM
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · „Owning“ software is oh so great...


Well ... from personal experience, subscribing to software isn't any better in this respect.

As a Photography Package subscriber during the lifespan of Lightroom CC 2015.x .... I was forced to roll back to known previously stable version 4 times because Adobe broke functionality with their updates. While this errors were not intentional and Adobe did eventually correct them, I still had to compensate them each and every month for their offering even though I was forced to forego using the updates.

This meant we had to utilize alternate methods to compensate for when we may have had to work with images from newer cameras for client images that were added to Lr until the workflow glitches were sorted. Issues that could have been avoided if Adobe would improve upon their pre-release testing and not consider their end users as pay-to-play beta testers.

Or ... as I have been suggesting for nearly a decade, make new camera RAW support and lens profile updates separate from application updates.

I know some take great pleasure in their attempts in portraying Adobe as perfection personified, but such is not the case.



Oct 29, 2017 at 05:05 PM
charlyw
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · „Owning“ software is oh so great...


EGrav wrote:
The Microsoft screw up doesn’t affect CO 9.


False, unfortunately that limitation isn‘t the case...



Oct 29, 2017 at 06:14 PM
EGrav
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · „Owning“ software is oh so great...


Not according to Phaseone website.


Oct 29, 2017 at 06:31 PM
Silverfire
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · „Owning“ software is oh so great...


Software companies don't fix old releases as a general rule because it is simply not economical in most cases. Software works for a given range of hardware/OS because it's what the company's developers develop on or can test to make sure it works on. They're not going to be committed for maintaining that software on an ever-increasing range of hardware/OS -- no-one can do that and stay in business. What they choose to fix or not fix is up to them. What you can do about is limited, but I guarantee you that complaining about it on a thread no-one from the company even reads, is guaranteed to make no difference.



Oct 30, 2017 at 01:28 PM
R.H. Johnson
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · „Owning“ software is oh so great...


if i had 0.1% of the money lost in man hours because of Micro-crap betaware. i would have more money than Bill Gates. end of line.....


Oct 30, 2017 at 04:50 PM
1
       2       end






FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password