Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Anyone use waist packs (e.g. fanny packs) for hiking?

Ming-Tzu
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone use waist packs (e.g. fanny packs) for hiking?

Trying to minimize the gear I carry when hiking and have decided to stop lugging around the 5d4+16-35 IS+70-200 f4 IS, and going with the m5+22+11-22.

I already have a Deuter 20L day pack and have always been a backpack type of guy, but read an article the other day about someone using a waist pack for hiking with mirrorless. Never really thought about that since I usually associate fanny packs with grandmothers.

But it seems like a good idea in theory. No weight on your shoulders and back, which allows you to stand more upright when hiking (especially uphill). More balance due to the lower center of gravity and the weight being held by your hip bones. Plus, I sweat alot so having my upper torso exposed might be better for ventilation. The downside of a waist pack is that I'm a bigger guy horizontally, so wondering how awkward it would be to carry that long distances.

Experiences and thoughts?

Oct 28, 2017 at 11:32 PM
EGrav
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone use waist packs (e.g. fanny packs) for hiking?

I guess you could use one, if no one is around to see you.
(Sorry, couldn’t resist. )

Edited on Oct 29, 2017 at 12:06 AM · View previous versions

Oct 29, 2017 at 12:04 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone use waist packs (e.g. fanny packs) for hiking?

Depends. There's hiking then there's hiking.

Personally anything that gets in the way of leg movement is out - anything around the waist would need to be tight.

I'd perhaps attach a small pouch to one of the main (shoulder) straps - I'd trial one on each side, but low enough to not impede vision.

Oct 29, 2017 at 12:05 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone use waist packs (e.g. fanny packs) for hiking?

For a simple little hike, I like the mountainsmith day waist pack with the strappets. If I have my 5d and 100-400mm in there, the shoulder strappets make it very comfortable.

Oct 29, 2017 at 01:46 AM
CreationBear

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone use waist packs (e.g. fanny packs) for hiking?

dgdg wrote:
I like the mountainsmith day waist pack with the strappets.

I think dgdg is on the right track if you're talking about running a lumbar pack with a significant load-out--having some sort of shoulder strap will help stabilize the pack and keep it snug against the curve of your back. (Waist packs tend to twist away from your body when loaded with much weight.) Also, hip belt fit is just as important as it is with a backpack--make sure the padded portion is long enough to "cup" your hip bones, though if you're like me, the exact position of your iliac crests is a matter of conjecture.

Oct 29, 2017 at 02:54 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone use waist packs (e.g. fanny packs) for hiking?

At my advanced age my fanny can hold anything. Don't need no pack

Oct 29, 2017 at 05:15 AM
Ming-Tzu
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone use waist packs (e.g. fanny packs) for hiking?

Thanks for the replies! I was looking at the Osprey Talon 6

Oct 29, 2017 at 05:18 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone use waist packs (e.g. fanny packs) for hiking?

runamuck wrote:
At my advanced age my fanny can hold anything. Don't need no pack

Luckily you're not English

Oct 29, 2017 at 12:23 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anyone use waist packs (e.g. fanny packs) for hiking?

Fanny packs are great. Anything that gets the weight off my shoulders and doesn't have those annoying shoulder straps that restrict armpit and back ventilation is OK with me. But for photo gear that gives me the most mobility and way more convenience than any backpack, I use the ThinkTank modular belt system with Digital Holsters and a variety of lens bags.

Oct 31, 2017 at 02:12 AM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anyone use waist packs (e.g. fanny packs) for hiking?

+1 for Jeffrey

Oct 31, 2017 at 04:16 AM
Ryukyu
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Anyone use waist packs (e.g. fanny packs) for hiking?

I use a Think Tank Speed Freak when I don't want to carry my backpack. I traveled for a couple weeks through Italy this year with it. Had a D600 with Sigma 24-105 attached, and 70-200 F2.8 VRII. Using the shoulder strap made it even more comfortable and it's easy enough to spin around to get into the bag when needed.
With the smaller kit, you could probably get by with the smaller Speed Demon.

Oct 31, 2017 at 02:09 PM
Ming-Tzu
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Anyone use waist packs (e.g. fanny packs) for hiking?

Ryukyu wrote:
I use a Think Tank Speed Freak when I don't want to carry my backpack. I traveled for a couple weeks through Italy this year with it. Had a D600 with Sigma 24-105 attached, and 70-200 F2.8 VRII. Using the shoulder strap made it even more comfortable and it's easy enough to spin around to get into the bag when needed.
With the smaller kit, you could probably get by with the smaller Speed Demon.

Thanks for the suggestion. Just took a glance on the Think Tank website. I'll probably stick with my Deuter small backpack for now and see how it works out with the lighter camera system. If I decide to go fanny pack in the future, I might prefer the Osprey Talon compared to the Think Tank options though. The Speed Demon is 2.1 pounds while the Osprey is less than one pound. Plus, I like Osprey.

Oct 31, 2017 at 02:20 PM
jharter
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Anyone use waist packs (e.g. fanny packs) for hiking?

I suggest the Think Tank belt system as well. It works much better when combined with the shoulder harness called the "Pixel Racing Harness" for some reason. It is a very comfortable mesh harness that goes over your shoulders like backpack straps and clips to the belt in order to put a little of the weight on your shoulders and keep the belt from slipping down. It is very comfortable and works well. IT works less well if you have to put on and remove the entire contraption often such as when city-walking.

For a fanny pack to support the weight of camera gear without slipping down it must be very tight and/or large and bulky with its own support system which defeats the purpose of going light. The Think Tank belt with the shoulder harness is a good compromise. Also, most of the pouches for the belt are moveable while they are on the belt. You can slide the pouches to the front if you are standing on a subway and want to keep an eye on them, slide them to the sides when walking, slide them all the way to the back if climbing stairs, etc.

Oct 31, 2017 at 02:55 PM
GroovyGeek
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Anyone use waist packs (e.g. fanny packs) for hiking?

I don't need a waist pack, I can store everything on my belly protrusion and/or spare tire :-)

Seriously, do yourself a favor and ditch the waist contraption, buy yourself a real day pack, your waist will thank you after a few hours. The Think Tank belt system is a) fugly b) not particularly convenient c) will get in the way of hiking and d) gives you very little room for hiking necessities - water, rain shell, a light snack. About the only positive thing I can say about it is that it is a beautiful build with rock solid customer service behind it. It is probably OK for city slickers, but is not something to be taken on a real day hike.

An Osprey daypack with something like a Mountainsmith Cube will work far better.

Nov 01, 2017 at 04:36 AM
erikburd
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Anyone use waist packs (e.g. fanny packs) for hiking?

I use a Clik Elite Probody SLR Chest Carrier when out on a day hike. Sadly it's no longer available. This allows me to have my 6D in front of me, while allowing me to wear a daypack as normal.

Nov 01, 2017 at 05:17 AM
Flowernut
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Anyone use waist packs (e.g. fanny packs) for hiking?

I use a lowpro that is 20yrs old and no longer made. Works great for just a few things. Allows you to put weight on hips. Only use it for short hikes otherwise a backpack. Currently thinktank.

Nov 02, 2017 at 07:51 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password