New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

Caught In the Crosshairs

Staklo
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Caught In the Crosshairs

I was based near Odessa, UA, for a few weeks in August. Did a lot of 1-2 day trips in a pretty wide radius, posting a 'shot' that sort of captures the irony and surrealistic atmosphere of the general region at the moment.
Thanks for taking a look :-)
Staklo

Staklo 2017

Near Odessa, Ukraine, August 2017

Oct 28, 2017 at 08:20 PM
GoodEgg
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Caught In the Crosshairs

Toy, guns, video games and a bored young vendor. АКЦИЯ = "action"? Gut-wrenching image.

Oct 28, 2017 at 10:38 PM
Staklo
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Caught In the Crosshairs

Hi GoodEgg, thanks for taking a look.
Yes, АКЦИЯ = "action".
To complete the picture: грн= "money" (Ukrainian dollar abbreviation)
And sadly, yes again, gut-wrenching and heart-breaking.
I'll be posting some sets from that area and also the Balkans in the next few weeks.
A lot of parallels between the two regions.
Staklo

Oct 28, 2017 at 11:39 PM
douter
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Caught In the Crosshairs

Well, the only issue I have is the few corners that show up in this are not verticals. Interesting, the juxtaposition of the stuffed animals and toy weapons.
Douglas

Oct 30, 2017 at 12:29 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Staklo
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Caught In the Crosshairs

Hi Douter,

Well, the only issue I have is the few corners that show up in this are not verticals.
Yikes! Now that I look they are all a bit off!
I had an alternate square crop but it is no better in the corner department and some of the 'story' aspect was lost, so I just went with things the way they framed up. But now that you mention it I might go back to the original and see if some minor crop rotation helps, without introducing perspective or warp changes.

And actually, it's an interesting issue regarding the extent an image can/should be reworked. In photojournalism, anything more than very slight tweaks is frowned upon, so when I'm working in that mode, I try not to alter the image too much.

My basic approach is anything focused on architectural subject matter needs closer attention to parallel lines, corners, etc, whereas once a human aspect is introduced, there is more leeway.

Interesting, the juxtaposition of the stuffed animals and toy weapons.
I've found some very interesting subject matter in little Eastern European town squares and promenades. Lots of chaotic energy, odd characters, and reminds me of state fairs here in the Midwest as a kid. Like a step back in time into a Ray Bradbury short story except everyone is speaking a different language

Good insights and thanks for taking a look

Staklo

Oct 30, 2017 at 01:28 AM
Lightsearcher
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Caught In the Crosshairs

Very interesting shot, thank you for posting.

Marcelo

Nov 07, 2017 at 04:55 AM
Staklo
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Caught In the Crosshairs

Hi Lightsearcher thanks for taking a look. There was definitely a intetesting dynamic going on. I had seen the potential a few days before and even took a snapshot but there were some thuggish guys in the foreground and other distractions and the hanging guns were not present, plus light was harsh. I never count on getting a second chance but I sort doubled back to that location a few days later right at sundown hoping I might get a better shot and for a split moment everything synched. Appreciate the comment
Staklo

Nov 07, 2017 at 08:52 PM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password