Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Do you share all your techniques to stranger/competitors?

amonline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Do you share all your techniques to stranger/competitors?

To some of you guys... the question was about sharing techniques, not teaching someone from scratch. I canít believe some of these responses. Obviously, the topic was not about spending days or weeks teaching someone, but I think some are taking the "all" a bit far. I read it as "sharing a technique". That only takes a short time.

Oct 29, 2017 at 04:17 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Do you share all your techniques to stranger/competitors?

engardeknave wrote:
"I have never taken any sort of professional course by a photographer who charges many times the industry average. I have no unique service proposition."

"Techniques" are not a unique service proposition.

Oct 29, 2017 at 04:24 PM
pasblues
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Do you share all your techniques to stranger/competitors?

level1photog wrote:
Tell that to all the photographers with paid tutorial around $300. They are selling their knowledge, experience and workflow "secrets". There are alot of paid workshops from world class photographers that charges even more than that.

There is a difference between telling someone I've been friend with for a while and spoon feeding complete strangers. It seems like I encounter alot of complete strangers asking me how to do things. Do you think our time and experience should be free? I don't mind telling all the exifs info but my complete workflow?

I don't know that there are secrets so much as there is a *bank of knowledge* that the seminar sellers have organized and compiled into teachable soundbites. Building that bank of knowledge takes years of not just reading and applying knowledge but also experimenting, making mistakes, learning from them and making adjustments. It's a whole process.

It's probably a sore spot with some photographers and not others when it comes to sharing this with colleagues of varying degrees of knowledge and expertise. What may seem like only one little question "How do you light receptions with off-camera flash?" has a HUGE answer, if answered thoroughly. The short answer is "it varies" with the circumstances. The thorough answer is a seminar with lighting experts - several which I have paid to attend over the years.

So, when someone comes at you with a question like that, it seems like it would be kind and polite to point them in the direction of the seminar photographers and let the people pursue that if they want. I can't see that there is any other obligation - because it would become really time consuming otherwise. So, if you don't do anything other than point them in a direction, I don't think that's being impolite or not sharing. If you've spent years and thousands of dollars educating yourself, then I think it's okay to help others understand that "it takes years and plenty of money to educate yourself." I wouldn't feel guilty about that.

There's so much stuff on youtube...and photographers are making money there selling information. I say, more power to them.

Edited on Oct 29, 2017 at 05:34 PM · View previous versions

Oct 29, 2017 at 04:24 PM
pasblues
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Do you share all your techniques to stranger/competitors?

amonline wrote:
To some of you guys... the question was about sharing techniques, not teaching someone from scratch. I canít believe some of these responses. Obviously, the topic was not about spending days or weeks teaching someone, but I think some are taking the "all" a bit far. I read it as "sharing a technique". That only takes a short time.

I can see your point. If the question is "how do you bounce flash" and the answer is: "I take a 3X5 index card and rubber band it to the flash head" - that's an answer to the technique, right? Then, the person can say "Hey, cool, thanks!" and do your suggestion and then experiment on their own with bouncing flash.

If, however, the question is "How do you get the incredible lighting I see in your reception pictures?" - there's a longer answer.

So, maybe it could be a combination of answer the short question, then point them in the direction of a seminar where they can dig into the longer answer?

Oct 29, 2017 at 04:30 PM
pasblues
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Do you share all your techniques to stranger/competitors?

mikethevilla wrote:
I'm an open book. A lot of us OC wedding photographers are super communal and big believers in community over competition. I know I wouldn't be half the photographer I am today without other pros sharing their knowledge with me over coffee or lunch. It seems only right to pass it along.

If your entire business strategy depends on a couple of easily teachable techniques, it's probably not a great business strategy. There are entire web forums out there dedicated to photography techniques! Who would've thought?! With that whole "google" fad blowing up, your secrets won't stay secrets for long. So
...Show more

Great points!

Since there is already a wealth of information out there in Google land, then a friendly simple answer to a simple question is a great way to be friendly. Then, if there is more in-depth, a friendly point in the direction of youtube is also friendly.

I think what you pointed out is that there is a community of relationships in OC which I think is super cool. However, when a person is "use-you-and-disappear-until-the-next-time-I-need-you" - that's kinda uncool. One is respect, the other isn't.

Oct 29, 2017 at 04:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Oscarsmadness
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Do you share all your techniques to stranger/competitors?

I don't mind telling people stuff one could find in the EXIF. I'm also willing to teach some of my editing techniques, none of which are exotic, but I'm usually too lazy to explain everything. Which means I generally don't tell people how I go about things.

When people I do help go and try to do things on their own, I find that there is a rather significant gap between their understanding of the techniques and their execution of the techniques. The ones who fully understand what to do usually use the information to find their own solutions.

That said, I've never been "used." I avoid those people.

Oct 29, 2017 at 07:44 PM
tgillespie
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Do you share all your techniques to stranger/competitors?

We share info all the time. Lighting, business practices, workflow, gear knowledge.... The only time we charge for sharing is if its for a chunk of our time. While a question here and there isn't a problem, going through reception lighting for a few hours is a commitment.

I do wish people would ask how to make a better frame (composition/moment/light) as a whole instead of just asking how to strobe it.

Oct 30, 2017 at 03:01 PM
form
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Do you share all your techniques to stranger/competitors?

I actually think all knowledge should be free and freely available, but then I'm not a capitalist. I think knowledge is one of the most powerful tools we have for bettering many things in society, including society. Even reasonable morals and ethics sprout from knowledge (for instance, the knowledge that societies that don't prioritize morals and ethics historically collapse on themselves).

Oct 30, 2017 at 04:12 PM
pasblues
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Do you share all your techniques to stranger/competitors?

form wrote:
I actually think all knowledge should be free and freely available, but then I'm not a capitalist. I think knowledge is one of the most powerful tools we have for bettering many things in society, including society. Even reasonable morals and ethics sprout from knowledge (for instance, the knowledge that societies that don't prioritize morals and ethics historically collapse on themselves).

That's one perspective that I think the internet and internet forums do well. I think the knowledge is free but a person's time in imparting that knowledge has a value.

Oct 30, 2017 at 06:30 PM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password