New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Using Olympus E-500 MFT lens on PEN E-PL7

iKokomo

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Using Olympus E-500 MFT lens on PEN E-PL7

I just got a nice Olympus E-500 camera for $10 at a thrift store and it had a 40-150mm Olympus MFT lens on it.
The mount seems extremely close (same mounting dot location and data connection location) to my current PEN E-PL7, but it does not fit because the mount is slightly different.

My question is, is there an adapter to use lenses from the E-500 on my PEN E-PL7?

Also, what is the name of the older E-500 mount?

Thanks!

Oct 28, 2017 at 11:35 AM
formula4speed
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Using Olympus E-500 MFT lens on PEN E-PL7

That's the old Four Thirds mount, your E-PL7 is Micro Four Thirds.

You can adapt Four Thirds lenses to Micro Four Thirds with the MMF-3 adapter
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/842941-REG/Olympus_V3230500W000_MMF_3_Four_Thirds_Adapter.html

I'm not familiar with that particular lens, but if it's something like f/4-5.6 there are small and light options made for Micro Four Thirds that you could get used for around $100 which is cheaper than the adapter.

Oct 28, 2017 at 06:01 PM
iKokomo

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Using Olympus E-500 MFT lens on PEN E-PL7

Thanks a lot! I did not know there was a difference between MFT and FT. My second question is, is there a Micro 4/3rds to 4/3rds adapter? I have a ton of Micro 4/3rds lenses that I would love to play around w/ on this camera.

Thanks!

Oct 28, 2017 at 06:08 PM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Using Olympus E-500 MFT lens on PEN E-PL7

Old 43 DSLR lenses work best on the Olympus OM-D E-M1 mk1 and mk2 cameras, which have got on senor phase detect (OSPDAF). On the E-PL7 focusing with a 43 lens + MMF-3 adapter will be sluggish at best. You should rather look for a goid deal on the micro43 version 40-150/4-5.6 from Olympus.

Oct 29, 2017 at 11:11 AM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Using Olympus E-500 MFT lens on PEN E-PL7

iKokomo wrote:
Thanks a lot! I did not know there was a difference between MFT and FT. My second question is, is there a Micro 4/3rds to 4/3rds adapter? I have a ton of Micro 4/3rds lenses that I would love to play around w/ on this camera.

Thanks!

No, unfortunately there isn't. The flange to sensor distance is shorter on the new micto 43 mount, so only old 43 DSLR lenses can be adapted to micro 43, and not vice versa.

Oct 29, 2017 at 11:13 AM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.