1       2      
       end

50mm options for D850

Dj R
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · 50mm options for D850

Todd wrote:
I canít think of anything in the Nikon line, Tamron line, or sigma line, that would match the Zeiss.. The Millvis and the Otus are pretty much neck and neck in quality. Center sharpness on them both is pretty much equal according to DXO but the corners of the 50mm Millvus are softer, but by a small margin. The Otius 55mm is sharp all the way to the corners.. however corner sharpness is probably only really helpful if youíre photographing something flat wide open, but nobodyís really going to do that. When shooting portraits the subject is usually center
...Show more

aside from nikon, sigma, tamron, there is nothing exotic in the 50-105mm range (prime) with auto focus, correct?

Nov 08, 2017 at 07:14 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · 50mm options for D850

mholdef wrote:
Thanks everyone for the feedback !

I went to my local shop and traded in my 20/2.8 and 50/1.8 for the Sigma Art !

Fantastic lens, shoots great wide open and across the range

Mark

This is the only serious option for this camera, you won't regret it!

Nov 08, 2017 at 07:28 PM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · 50mm options for D850

Dj R wrote:
@Charles.K@ et al.

I'm really confused now.

I sold my 58 1.4g three weeks ago
Got a 50 1.4a to replace it, so that when I'm shooting with it on my d850, it was sharp enough.
I got a 50 1.8g se for travel and family stuff.

I see the value of the 50 1.4a. It is indeed quite a savings over the 58 1.4g (new). And the Art is a lot sharper in the center and across the frame.
But I am struggling with the 50 Art... to make the same sort of ART, that I could make with 58g.
I realize that the reviews
...Show more

Hi Ryan, I have the 58G, 50 Art, 50/1.4G, 50/1.8G and now the 50 Cron R (Mandler). I love the 50mm FOV, but each lens has it strengths and weaknesses.

The 58/1.4G slightly stopped down is superb. At f/1.4 to f/2.8 there is a backward focus shift. I have had 3 copies now, and each behaves the same. At f/1.4 there is about +12 to +18 correction needed but at f/2.8 there is only +5 needed, if at all. The focus shift at f/2.8 is offset by the increased DOF, so it will not be visible, so long as the adjustment is not too far forward. Each of these lenses were also sent to Nikon service center to be re calibrated to lessen the effect of focus shift. This focus shift is the maximum at MFD and near distances. For slightly further distances at f/1.4 like to close to medium for group shots the focus shift is almost gone.

For weddings the 58G is superb as the majority of shots are at medium distances, but for many of my portrait shots are closer so I find often that I struggle at f/1.4. I work with this lens as I love it, but when it comes to percentage shots both the 35 and 50 Art on the D850 are superb. I have always worked with fast 50mm lenses and my favorite still is the 50 Nocti f/1.0 (Mandler). The Art series face/eye recognition is now fast/accurate about 95% of the time and I don't have to think too much.

I was a strong proponent that the Art lenses were lacking character, but then I started to review many of my older images and there were many instances where images were not quite sharp enough. My opinion has changed and love both the old style 50 Cron R(Mandler), 58G rendering alongside the modern 50 Art. They all have their unique style of renderings like different paint brushes.

The 50 Art at f/1.4 for street and landscapes is superb, as is the 58G stopped down to f/5.6 to 8. I keep both in my bag all the time

Nov 08, 2017 at 10:56 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · 50mm options for D850

I don't do a ton of 50mm shooting, so I find the 50/1.8G works well for me. It is small, focuses fast, renders nicely, is very light, and also quite affordable, which can be appreciated after paying for a 105/1.4 and D850

Might add a 50 Art in time, but think I'll keep the 50/1.8 just because its such a great casual type lens, which the 50 Art isn't so much

Nov 08, 2017 at 11:53 PM
TooManyShots
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · 50mm options for D850

I like to revise my opinion on the Tamron 45 f1.8..I got it last week and did some initial testing so far. Is a good lens. Is not the Sigma 50 art but also is lighter and smaller. Wide open is sharp but the image would benefit most with some slight sharpening...but the Nikon 50 f1.8g wide open sharpness is not even usable on my D7200. On a D850? Not sure...you may need to stop down to f2.8. VC is useful in some situation. The AF is slow and slower. Not sure if it could keep up with erratic subjects like sports, cats, and dogs.... Is still $400 with a 6 year Tamron warranty fyi....

Nov 09, 2017 at 01:29 AM
Dj R
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · 50mm options for D850

@charles.K thx for taking time to post your synopsis!!

Nov 09, 2017 at 01:39 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

OccAeon
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · 50mm options for D850

charles.K wrote:
At f/1.4 to f/2.8 there is a backward focus shift. I have had 3 copies now, and each behaves the same.

Maybe I misunderstand focus shift, but how can you have focus shift at f/1.4? I thought focus shift meant that the focal plan moves when the aperture changes. Or are you just saying that there is a focus shift at f/2.8?

Nov 09, 2017 at 07:19 PM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · 50mm options for D850

With live view peak focus now a thing... the Zeiss 55mm 1.4 OTUS is now back on my radar! 😬

Nov 09, 2017 at 07:41 PM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · 50mm options for D850

OccAeon wrote:
Maybe I misunderstand focus shift, but how can you have focus shift at f/1.4? I thought focus shift meant that the focal plan moves when the aperture changes. Or are you just saying that there is a focus shift at f/2.8?

There is focus shift as you move from f/1.4 to f/2.8 with front focus correction of about +15 reducing to +5 at f/2.8 typically. The focus shift to f/2.8 will not be that noticeable as the DOF should hide this. If you look carefully at f/2.8 on a test rig, scope of focus will be at the front of edge so you need to be sure that the initial value set at f/1.4 is not too high

Of course when you adjust the fine tune AF, most will test at f/1.4, but it is also important to check at f/2.8 to make sure the fine tune AF adjustment works for you

Nov 10, 2017 at 01:47 AM
Andre Y
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · 50mm options for D850

The peaking on the D850 is not accurate in full-frame mode (ie. viewing the whole frame with no magnification), and almost invisible in 1:1 mode. This is not a slight against the D850: peaking in general isn't great for hi-res cameras in whole-frame mode, and needs to be used in 1:1 mode since the peaking is done on the data as it's delivered to the LCD panel.

Nov 10, 2017 at 05:14 AM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · 50mm options for D850

I've been using it for a day and it's worked great for me while using it zoomed out in full frame... you have to have a good eye but I nailed focus after 2 min of trial and error...

Andre Y wrote:
The peaking on the D850 is not accurate in full-frame mode (ie. viewing the whole frame with no magnification), and almost invisible in 1:1 mode. This is not a slight against the D850: peaking in general isn't great for hi-res cameras in whole-frame mode, and needs to be used in 1:1 mode since the peaking is done on the data as it's delivered to the LCD panel.

Nov 10, 2017 at 05:40 AM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · 50mm options for D850

Blakehfreeman wrote:
I've been using it for a day and it's worked great for me while using it zoomed out in full frame... you have to have a good eye but I nailed focus after 2 min of trial and error...

It works well. It is technique not too indifferent with focusing on RF cameras. You learn to roll the focus back and forth and watch the focus peaking as it hits the target. Without the rolling movement back and forth it is more difficult.

Nov 10, 2017 at 05:51 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password