New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Range mask in Lightroom Classic for black and white

rdeloe
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Range mask in Lightroom Classic for black and white

I took the plunge and 'upgraded' from my stand-alone Lightroom 6 license to the subscription model. Stand-alone Lightroom was working just fine for me. However, Lightroom Classic CC (effectively version 7 of the desktop product) also brings a new tool that sounded very useful: range masks. As a black and white photographer, I was very curious to see what range masks can do for me.

Google around a bit and you can find nice descriptions of what this tool is all about. For example, Laura Shoe has a nice video:

What I wanted to know was: how would range masks work after black and white conversion? Range masks can work on color or luminosity. I expected luminosity would work fine. Colour does too. You probably already know that you can control tone using the colour channels. So it's not surprising that you can take advantage of the colour channels in the range masks (which work on brushes, graduated filters and radial filters).

If you do decide to go to the subscription side, this is a useful tool in the toolkit for black and white photographers who are starting with 'colour' RAW files. It's probably not worth switching for on its own, but if you're on the fence this tool might help you make your decision.

Rob

Oct 28, 2017 at 02:07 AM
tomandmarj
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Range mask in Lightroom Classic for black and white

Rob,
my camera is set to shoot ONLY B/W IR, and I, too, find the new Lightroom range mask to be very helpful in some images. one of Adobe's best features in years, me think.
regards, tom

Oct 28, 2017 at 02:25 AM
rdeloe
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Range mask in Lightroom Classic for black and white

I've read some early reports that suggest it doesn't do well at the edges (e.g., where blue sky meets land). But that may be due to people overdoing it. I see the same issues using the colour channel approach. A light touch is required!

Oct 28, 2017 at 03:30 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password