New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Canon 11-24 GFX Surgery

engardeknave
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 11-24 GFX Surgery

Finally got an adapter today to test Canon lenses on the GFX50s. I was especially gunning for compatibility with the Canon 11-24mm. I use this lens constantly, and I really don't want to go back to using primes for a particular task. Even if I did, there is no 16mm equivalent. Neither of the TSEs or even the PC-Es.

I knew it would vignette on the hood at around 14mm, which is fine. Unfortunately, I discovered that the rear baffle gets caught in the frame at greater focal lengths, giving me only ~14.2-17.5mm. The whole point was to get the ideal 18mm-23mm.

With little testing of the lens to confirm even that I'm going to use it, or any research on the topic at all, the event that transpired is documented below. Result: Full clearance up to 24mm.

Edited on Oct 28, 2017 at 01:04 PM · View previous versions

Oct 28, 2017 at 01:45 AM
Edward Castro
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 11-24 GFX Surgery

You are one brave person to modify such a lens (waaay more guts than me!). I applaud your success!

Oct 28, 2017 at 04:19 AM
engardeknave
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 11-24 GFX Surgery

Still waiting on the Techart adapter, so I can't easily change the aperture. However, here are high-res samples of various focal lengths at f/8: https://imgur.com/a/lfG94

These are converted to jpg at camera raw defaults. Imgur resizes and compresses the files though

Conclusions

After comparing directly to my Sony files, I found the GFX 50s + 11-24 results are much sharper. There is some significant but not terrible smearing at the corners 14-16mm (which is not visible in any of my Sony files). At 16mm this is not a big deal and totally usable in my opinion. 16mm is the 35mm equivalent of 13mm. Not bad.

Oct 29, 2017 at 05:59 PM
d831
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 11-24 GFX Surgery

Are you planning to Dremel off the lens hood too?

I noticed you're selling an IQ180H system - how are you liking the GFX 50s by comparison so far?

Also wanted to ask if you feel the corner smearing at 14-16mm is only visible in your Fuji files because it's resolving more detail than your Sony, or is it possibly adapter/distance (to sensor) related?

Oct 30, 2017 at 03:51 AM
engardeknave
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 11-24 GFX Surgery

d831 wrote:
Are you planning to Dremel off the lens hood too?

I noticed you're selling an IQ180H system - how are you liking the GFX 50s by comparison so far?

Also wanted to ask if you feel the corner smearing at 14-16mm is only visible in your Fuji files because it's resolving more detail than your Sony, or is it possibly adapter/distance (to sensor) related?

I think the hood is going to stay. I do want to be able to sell the lens if something better appears. But it is tempting. Maybe less tempting when you look at what is starting to happen already at the corners at 14mm.

I'm very confident this smearing is not due to the greater sharpness of the Fuji. There is not even a hint of this in the Sony files. Moving up from f/8 on the GFX could possibly help.

The IQ180 kit is sold. The resolution and detail I got from that back was incomparable. But the lesson I keep having to relearn is that it's not worth trading usability and good AF for resolution or DOF or whatever I might be chasing at the moment. Hasselblad True Focus is only a marginal improvement.

The GFX has so many great focusing options that I am sure are going to actually increase the number of keepers even over Sony Eye-AF. And it is visibly sharper than the A7RII without even trying. Can't wait to do a real shoot with it.

Oct 30, 2017 at 04:25 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

whumber
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 11-24 GFX Surgery

engardeknave wrote:
Maybe less tempting when you look at what is starting to happen already at the corners at 14mm.

I'm very confident this smearing is not due to the greater sharpness of the Fuji. There is not even a hint of this in the Sony files. Moving up from f/8 on the GFX could possibly help.

Try manually focusing on something very far in the distance. Does the focus scale match up with infinity? If not, then the problem is potentially due to your adapter not being spaced correctly. Many adapters are slightly too short in order the ensure infinity focus can be achieved with adapters that end up on the long end of the machining tolerance. This causes a problem with many wide angle zooms with floating focus groups that causes smearing in the corners just like you're seeing. It's also very possible that the lens just isn't very sharp outside of the intended imaging circle.

Oct 30, 2017 at 04:45 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 11-24 GFX Surgery

One small comment. The Nikon 19mm f/4 E tilt/shift is a really nice lens that will give you a 16mm equivalent for 3 X 2 or a skinnier rectangle. I don't think there is an adapter yet that can change the aperture, however, so you would need a Nikon camera for that. Probably isn't the option you are looking for, but I thought I would mention it.

Oct 30, 2017 at 04:49 AM
engardeknave
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 11-24 GFX Surgery

whumber wrote:
Try manually focusing on something very far in the distance. Does the focus scale match up with infinity? If not, then the problem is potentially due to your adapter not being spaced correctly. Many adapters are slightly too short in order the ensure infinity focus can be achieved with adapters that end up on the long end of the machining tolerance. This causes a problem with many wide angle zooms with floating focus groups that causes smearing in the corners just like you're seeing. It's also very possible that the lens just isn't very sharp outside of the intended imaging
...Show more

The focus scale matched exactly with infinity. But I will test again when the Techart adapter arrives.

Steve Spencer wrote:
One small comment. The Nikon 19mm f/4 E tilt/shift is a really nice lens that will give you a 16mm equivalent for 3 X 2 or a skinnier rectangle. I don't think there is an adapter yet that can change the aperture, however, so you would need a Nikon camera for that. Probably isn't the option you are looking for, but I thought I would mention it.

Yes, I've had my eye on this lens. I may acquire it in the future when a proper adapter is available. However, I still prefer the zoom for certain things. I am going to get the 24mm TS-E in the meantime. I might have to keep my 17mm TS-E in case I run into something where ~20mm isn't enough.

Oct 30, 2017 at 01:37 PM
engardeknave
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 11-24 GFX Surgery

More samples at different apetures: https://lensdump.com/a/1CTi

Also I discovered that the Techart doesn't properly record the focal length with this lens. It just always says 14mm in the exif.

Nov 14, 2017 at 11:01 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password