New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Capture One, ColorChecker and ICC profiles

mregala

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Capture One, ColorChecker and ICC profiles

I'd really like to get my colors right and use my ColorChecker Passport with Capture One, but the ColorChecker software can only create .DNG files (for use with Photoshop). Does anyone know of software that can take a ColorChecker image and turn it into an ICC profile that I can use in C1?

Oct 28, 2017 at 12:55 AM
colinm
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Capture One, ColorChecker and ICC profiles

You can't. The Passport software doesn't create ICC profiles and the Passport target doesn't have enough control patches to generate a worthwhile ICC profile anyway.

You also probably don't need to ó Phase One's profiles are typically a lot more dead-on out of the box than Adobe's traditionally were.

Shoot a frame with the ColorChecker, use the neutral patches to set your white balance in C1, and in most cases you can likely call it done. If anything does look wonky, you've got a ColorChecker reference for targeted tweaking. Voila.

Oct 28, 2017 at 06:08 AM
melcat
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Capture One, ColorChecker and ICC profiles

Yes, I do know of such software, Lumariver Profile Designer:

http://www.lumariver.com

I haven't tried this at all yet, but from looking at the online manual it looks reasonable. There is a section there which describes in detail how to use it with Capture One, which apparently handles ICC profiles a little differently from most software.

Oct 28, 2017 at 07:19 AM
GumaRodak

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Capture One, ColorChecker and ICC profiles

xrite iprofiler software can do that too, you need the license for that...i have the i1 display pro, but my licence isnt enought...

Oct 28, 2017 at 12:45 PM
mregala

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Capture One, ColorChecker and ICC profiles

Thanks Melcat, I've downloaded Lumariver Profile Designer and I'll give it a try!

Oct 28, 2017 at 05:43 PM
Emile Gregoire
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Capture One, ColorChecker and ICC profiles

Could you let us know how it pans out? Iím very happy with C1ís colors as it is but am curious.

Oct 28, 2017 at 11:05 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Capture One, ColorChecker and ICC profiles

"I haven't tried this at all yet, but from looking at the online manual it looks reasonable. There is a section there which describes in detail how to use it with Capture One, which apparently handles ICC profiles a little differently from most software"

It's not that Capture One handles ICC profiles differently than others, because it doesn't, it's that Lr doesn't handle them at all.

If you want to tweak, say a CC in C1, shoot it, then open the raw file in C1 and use the Advanced Color Editor and it's very powerful Selective Color function to force whatever colors you don't like to your liking, then save the whole thing as a brand new edited ICC profile (which you can actually do in C1) and load that as your new default profile for that camera and setup.

Oct 29, 2017 at 05:05 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

melcat
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Capture One, ColorChecker and ICC profiles

Peter Figen wrote:
It's not that Capture One handles ICC profiles differently than others, because it doesn't, it's that Lr doesn't handle them at all.

Peter, I meant exactly what I wrote. According to Lumariver's doc, Capture One is applying some transformation before the ICC that other programs that use ICC profiles don't, and therefore a different procedure is needed when running their program. My comment was a warning to the OP to look in the doc for the "quick start" specific to Capture One rather than the one for other converters that want an ICC.

If you want to tweak, say a CC in C1, shoot it, then open the raw file in C1 and use the Advanced Color Editor and it's very powerful Selective Color function to force whatever colors you don't like to your liking, then save the whole thing as a brand new edited ICC profile (which you can actually do in C1) and load that as your new default profile for that camera and setup.

OP wants to get the colours "right", rather than tweak, which is a different thing.

Oct 29, 2017 at 10:29 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Capture One, ColorChecker and ICC profiles

I watched the video and read their documentation, and while they do talk about how to use C1 to make profiles, they never really explain WHY they think it's somehow different from any other ICC based program. Making ICC input profiles is no simple task and you can go down a long rabbit hole and wind up right where you started. I know. I tried with several high end profiling apps. In my experience, it's been best to use the supplied Phase profiles as a great starting point and then use their very powerful color editor to fine tune as needed. The problem is that color issues in the profiles are not always linear to all different types of images. You can have a profile that works great for most things but falls short for one specific type of image or light. To have that wonderful and totally easy editing built right into Capture One makes it that much more powerful and so easy. There are no "perfect" profiles, just ones that are better for one application than another. There is always some amount of "tweaking" going on, whether it's in the raw processor or later in Ps.

Oct 30, 2017 at 03:59 AM
mregala

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Capture One, ColorChecker and ICC profiles

I've started playing with it, maybe in a week I'll be able to post variants of the same image (test subject plus CC Passport) showing C1 default color, LR default color, and LumaRiver ICC profile created using C1.

I realize that an ICC profile is not something you can just do once and use it under all conditions. I'll be using the color target for the first shot every time I change location or lighting, then create a profile and apply it to all of the shots I take at that location under that lighting.

Yes, it's a pain in the butt. But accurate color is important to some clients, so may as well have that as part of my workflow!

Oct 30, 2017 at 05:09 AM
voidsherpa
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Capture One, ColorChecker and ICC profiles

mregala wrote:
Yes, it's a pain in the butt. But accurate color is important to some clients, so may as well have that as part of my workflow!

What are you photographing that is so color critical? I do alot of table top and every once in awhile I get a fabric, paint, etc that wont render right. Or maybe it is right (probably is, but then you get into perception) since Phase backs seems to render a color checker spot on. Anyways I throw it in a light box and eye ball it on a calibrated monitor.

Oct 30, 2017 at 06:37 AM
voidsherpa
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Capture One, ColorChecker and ICC profiles

Also supposedly QP Card software can export ICC's. I remember reading about it a year or so ago they were working on it, and found some forum post saying it's been implemented.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/849461-REG/QP_Card_GQP203_QP_Card_203.html

Oct 30, 2017 at 06:41 AM
mregala

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Capture One, ColorChecker and ICC profiles

Here's my first comparison test:
1. C1 defaults -> jpg
2. LR defaults -> jpg
3. Export .tif as per the first few steps of the LumaRiver manual (I did not follow all instructions and only created 1 profile), create .icc, restart C1 and add to the raw file. -> jpg

All 3 images are here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx9srBZHhmcleUpQSjNmckhyZUk

I am not sure why the .icc corrected version is so much more exposed than the other two (probably because I did not go through every step and create a tone curve). The colors definitely seem more vivid, but feel free to comment on the results. But no CC on the model please, she is very sensitive!

Mike

Oct 30, 2017 at 06:46 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password