New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Canon user switching to Sony A7Rlll

Iman113

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon user switching to Sony A7Rlll

I know you experienced Sony users will get tired of questions from switchers like myself, but here goes anyway.
I have shot Canon for the last 15 years. The last 5 yrs with a 5Dlll, which was a great do everything camera for me, but I got tired of Canons lack of technological innovations in their cameras. So, I ordered the A7rlll

Iím an avid amateur who shoots everything (now mostly grandchildren, birds, travel, flowers etc.). I donít know that I will be able to adjust to the Sony yet i.e. ergonomics, colors, menus, but I want to give it a fair try.

Will I be able to get a good idea of the cameraís performance/capability if I use my current Canon and Sigma lesnses adapted?
Do I need both the Metabones and Sigma adapter or will one or the other be enough?
If the recommendation is to use native lenses, is there a good ďwalk aroundĒ all purpose zoom that I should buy to ďget my feet wet?Ē

My most used lenses are:
Canon 24-105L f4 IS v1
Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS v2
Sigma 50 f1.4 Art
Canon 16-24L f4
I also have Sigma 100-600C; Canon 300L f2.8 IS v1, Canon 100L 2,8 IS macro.

Thank you

Oct 27, 2017 at 05:05 PM
Mathieu18
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon user switching to Sony A7Rlll

Personally if youíre okay with it Iíd grab a used 24-70/4. Above average colors and contrast, just bit the sharpest corners at 24mm. Still a good lens though. For a reasonable investment itíll let you decide for your self and should be able to get a decent deal on it with the 24-105 just released.

Oct 27, 2017 at 06:15 PM
scrappydog
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon user switching to Sony A7Rlll

I use the Metabones IV and it works well. Native is ideal, but the MB comes close to native performance.

You may be challenged above 200mm with some lenses because AF speed degrades as focal lengths increase, especially when max apertures decrease. So the Canon 300/2.8 might be okay but the Sigma may be challenged at longer FLs. It really depends on how well the A7RIII's AF performs. If you encounter issues, PM me and I will give you tips on overcoming it.

My general purpose zoom walk-around is the Canon 24-70/2.8 II. If you're looking to go native, shots from the newly announced Sony 24-105/4 look pretty good. I use the Canon 16-35/4 and Canon 70-200/2.8 II on my A7RII and they perform great. Your Canon 24-105/4 won't perform that well because it isn't very sharp and the Sony sensor will challenge the best glass out there.

The biggest issue for me when I switched from the 5DIII to the A7RII was getting comfortable with the menus. It takes time. It's worth it though because the IQ will blow you away.

Oct 27, 2017 at 08:39 PM
Iman113

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon user switching to Sony A7Rlll

Thank you! Good to know about some Canon lenses working well on the Sony!

Oct 27, 2017 at 09:21 PM
sungphoto
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon user switching to Sony A7Rlll

Adapted glass works pretty well in good light, but still not as fast or accurate as native. In low light, native glass is much faster and more accurate than adapted (in some cases I can only achieve AF lock if I use a contrasty part of the image and even then it hunts with adapted glass in low light). I dislike the hybrid AF functionality with the sigma mc-11 adapter and sigma art lenses, as it's not very fast compared to just phase detect (and sigma doesn't let you select between phase detect only vs hybrid). Pick up the little sony 28 f2 full frame prime lens and test it with that. It's fast focusing, sharp, and relatively cheap. Given that this is a new camera, I do think your approach is smart in terms of keeping the canon glass while you decide if sony is for you.

However, it sounds like the a7rii would be plenty of camera for what you are looking to use it for, and there are going to be good used deals abound now that the mk3 is coming soon. Better to try out sony with a secondhand camera that's already depreciated, and has some of the kinks worked out, than be a beta tester for sony

Oct 27, 2017 at 10:55 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon user switching to Sony A7Rlll

Iíd sell your Canon 24-105 now and get the new Sony 24-105 and have at least one native general lens out of the gate. See how you like it and slowly move over. But do get one native lens so you know how it all works as one.

So thatís 4500 dollars out of the gate. Thatís what I would plan on.

Oct 27, 2017 at 11:02 PM
Iman113

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon user switching to Sony A7Rlll

Thanks for the advice. I think it makes good sense to evaluate the camera with at least 1 native lense. Now I need to determine if the 24-105 is that lens, and I guess I will have to wait for the user reviews. I suppose another option may be a good prime like the 55 1.8?

Oct 28, 2017 at 02:51 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon user switching to Sony A7Rlll

Honestly the end of day and this may take some time to get there you will come to the conclusion you either want some manual focus lenses or you want native AF glass. Or both as many of us have. Depends on what you shoot but thatís very popular among Sony users is have a little combo of manual and native. Most Canon lens holders eventually in general tend to move to native or have a combo of a Sony / Canon glass.

Oct 28, 2017 at 03:08 AM
Jonathan Brady
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon user switching to Sony A7Rlll

I'd heavily consider picking up a used A7RII at the lowest possible price you can. Also snag the 24-105 f/4 (or a cheap, used copy of the 24-70 f/4) and a metabones IV (again, the cheapest used copy you can). Update the firmware on the body and adapter, and just start shooting. See what you think. From there, just keep in your mind that improvements have been made in many areas with new bodies and keep a list of your "complaints". If you don't have any/many, stick with what you have and consider switching to native glass (I opted for all native glass and sold 7 Canon lenses and a Sigma 50 Art). Or if you have several, then consider either the A9 or A7RIII if those models have addressed your concerns (or whatever new camera may be out which better fits your needs). If it turns out that you're really just not into it, you'll be able to sell everything with minimal loss (if you buy everything used and at a great price) and you can consider it a cheap, long-term rental.
Honestly, you should be able to pick up a body, 24-70 f/4, and metabones IV, all used, for about $2300-2400 with a little effort on your part.

Oct 28, 2017 at 05:01 AM
kparseg
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon user switching to Sony A7Rlll

Iman113 wrote:
I know you experienced Sony users will get tired of questions from switchers like myself, but here goes anyway.
I have shot Canon for the last 15 years. The last 5 yrs with a 5Dlll, which was a great do everything camera for me, but I got tired of Canons lack of technological innovations in their cameras. So, I ordered the A7rlll

So, everything worked OK but you decided to switch just for sake of switching? Interesting logic

Oct 28, 2017 at 06:26 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon user switching to Sony A7Rlll

Looking at what you require the camera for I'm not sure you even need the 3 and a 2 (which is what many of us are using now) is not already more than enough. One thing to bear in mind, if it would affect you, is that the 3 can not use the Sony PlayMemories apps which are wonderful for some uses - long exposures etc. and many of us use.

Bear in mind that the major advances have come in the AF, dual card slots, fps, buffering, extended battery and a little bit in IBIS and EV plus a host of other minor upgrades. However the 2 already blows away the 5Diii in most of those regards, at least the ones you probably require. Unless money is no object of course then go for the 3 ! If it is then you may be better served buying the 2 and putting the extra towards lenses.

With the price drop and glut of 2s on the market, that will only accelerate once the 3 debuts, I'd pick up one of those to get you going and see if a) you like the A7 series and b) whether you actually need the 3.

As far as lenses are concerned the 24-70/4 would be great simply to see if you like the Eye-AF. Though others can advise better (since I don't use a MB or MC-11) but I believe the Sigma MC-11 can sometimes give you native eye-af whereas the MB can't. Obviously Sigma make some great glass and have a very very good 24-105/4 (can someone comment on whether this works with the MC-11) ? I had that lens on Nikon and it was excellent.

The long lenses for birds will be an issue but the Sony 100-400 GM + 1.4 TC would be a great replacement and all reports have it working very well with extenders.

Edited on Oct 28, 2017 at 06:48 AM · View previous versions

Oct 28, 2017 at 06:44 AM
xterra07
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon user switching to Sony A7Rlll

Rent A7R III and Metabones or Sigma adapter.
A7R II was a big compromise for a Canon user, like me, and still is, but there were surprises in the beginning, and some a bit later on.
Renting will answer some questions, then subjecting it to the differ shooting conditions, like moving subjects, low light, night...

Longer lenses (400mm in my case) can have issues with converters. Metabones IV in my case. 1 copy always fine. Another 90% not fine at infinity focus - only focused on well lit, not in the shade peaks. No issues with the other copy. Even a tuned copy can go out of tune. Long lenses are mostly effected. Your 300mm might be.

I like my A7R II, but for action or super low light, I prefer a body like 5D IV.

Oct 28, 2017 at 06:47 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon user switching to Sony A7Rlll

The zoom will be interesting. As we've seen before, it appears to closely resemble a long-standing Canon lens, in this instance the 24-105/4 L IS II to give it its full and rather grandiose title.

Sony (Canon): 17/14 (17/12) 4x asph (same); 77mm filters (same); 83 x 113 (83 x 118); IS (same); 9 blades (10). Big differences are weight: 663 grams (795 grams); and MFD: 38 (45) cms.

I hope it is better than the Canon.

Oct 28, 2017 at 06:56 AM
gianluca78

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon user switching to Sony A7Rlll

There's no need to goin native for evaluate eye-af... With A7RIII it will work with mc11 and Canon glasses.

Oct 28, 2017 at 07:32 PM
Iman113

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon user switching to Sony A7Rlll

So, everything worked OK but you decided to switch just for sake of switching? Interesting logic

Everything worked ok but time and technology move on. Compared to todayís options, the low light performance of the 5D3 is not good, same for dynamic range, same for FPS, same for buffer size, no 4K video which I want. These improvements are now available and I can afford them and I want them. I donít see a problem with that nor anything ilogical about my decision.
Using youíre logic, none of us would upgrade if we were satisfied with past performance regardless of technological advances and improvements. If thatís your view, thatís great and it will save you a lot of money. Itís just not where I am at this stage of my life.

I am amazed at how a relatively innocuous question, such as I posted, can illicit such a response regarding my logic.

Oct 28, 2017 at 08:46 PM
Mikehit
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon user switching to Sony A7Rlll

Iman113 wrote:
Everything worked ok but time and technology move on. Compared to todayís options, the low light performance of the 5D3 is not good, same for dynamic range, same for FPS, same for buffer size, no 4K video which I want. These improvements are now available and I can afford them and I want them. I donít see a problem with that nor anything ilogical about my decision.
Using youíre logic, none of us would upgrade if we were satisfied with past performance regardless of technological advances and improvements. If thatís your view, thatís great and it will save you a
...Show more

I don't have a problem with you switching, nor with your question. I was however intrigued by your otpline reason

"but I got tired of Canons lack of technological innovations in their cameras. So, I ordered the A7rlll"

Which makes it sound like you switched not because of any real world issues but because you see Canon not innovating. I have read so many people making criticisms along the line of "I don;t use video but it is disappointing that they did not include 4K" - my response is 'why do you care'.

So (quite understanddably), you said " but I want to give it a fair try."
But you are also stating as a fact "These improvements are now available and I can afford them and I want them." A statement you are making because you do not yet know will pan out - if you did you would not have posed the question!
So yes, it does seem you have changed on a whim because your posts are contradictory.

But whatever you choose I hope it works out.
These improvements are now available and I can afford them and I want them.

Oct 29, 2017 at 06:59 PM
scrappydog
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon user switching to Sony A7Rlll

Iman113 wrote:
Thank you! Good to know about some Canon lenses working well on the Sony!

I shoot a lot of my Canon glass on the A7RII. I have sold a lot of lenses, but I still have the Canon 16-35/4, 24-70/2.8 II, 40/2.8, 70-200/2.8 II, 100-400 II, 400/5.6, 500/4 II, Zeiss 25/2 ZE, and Canon 1.4x III extender. The 100-400 and 500 are my staple wildlife lenses. The only lenses I had issues with were the TS-E 17 and TS-E 24 II. Both developed distortion when shot on the Sony.

If you'd like good image quality, low price, and small size, the shorty forty (Canon 40/2.8 STM) is great on the A7RII (with the Metabones IV). I don't know if you have that lens, but it's pretty good.

Edited on Oct 31, 2017 at 01:21 AM · View previous versions

Oct 29, 2017 at 08:30 PM
eyal.ma
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon user switching to Sony A7Rlll

I want to piggy back on this thread.
I also plan to get the A7III.
I have canon glass and using the MC-11 sigma adapter with the a6500 as my every day body.

Will the adapter enable eye AF on the A7III like some people say it enables on the A9? On the a6500 it doesn't see to enable no matter the different settings I try to use, so it seems locked there for only sony glass.

Oct 30, 2017 at 08:32 AM
gianluca78

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon user switching to Sony A7Rlll

On A7RIII yes, eye-af will work, on A7III we don't know yet

Oct 30, 2017 at 09:40 AM
virtualrain
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon user switching to Sony A7Rlll

Iman113 wrote:

Iím an avid amateur who shoots everything (now mostly grandchildren, birds, travel, flowers etc.). I donít know that I will be able to adjust to the Sony yet i.e. ergonomics, colors, menus, but I want to give it a
...Show more

I switched from a Canon 5D3 with lots of fast heavy exotic L glass to the RII with a few small primes and it was a breath of fresh air. One thing you can do when switching to a 42Mpix sensor is crop with abandon, negating the need for zooms. I use a 25, 55 and 85mm prime kit for travel which effectively covers from 25-135mm with modest cropping. Itís light, flexible, and the image quality is stunning. I also have the 100-400 zoom with 1.4x TC for wildlife.

If you were smart when buying your Canon glass, you can easily sell it for close to what you paid, and invest it in some amazing Sony or Zeiss glass instead. Forget trying to adapt it. Thereís nothing to be gained by that now.

Thatís my view. Go all in.

Oct 30, 2017 at 11:18 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password