Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              9      
10
       11       end
  

So everyone is ditching the A7RII for A7RIII ???
  
 
dbehrens
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #1 · p.10 #1 · So everyone is ditching the A7RII for A7RIII ???


Charlie N wrote:
Having a Sony A7riii + 100-400 + 1.4x sure seams lighter/more cost effective than a two system approach.


While I agree with that statement in today's context - that was Feb 2016. There was no Sony system available. The 100-400 was not even rumored! I will say this - the Fuji system is brilliant and is much much lighter than my Canon wildlife system at that time (1D Mk4, 500 f/4 & 100-400).



Nov 02, 2017 at 04:08 AM
dbehrens
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #2 · p.10 #2 · So everyone is ditching the A7RII for A7RIII ???


dbehrens wrote:
So far I do not see any compelling reason to offload my A7r's. Just got back from a Utah/AZ landscape trip and they are still sharp-shooters.

I tried the A7rII and wasn't happy with the extra weight. Since I shoot tripod I don't need IBIS. The one thing I did like was shooting bracket on timer - but then again I have no problem attaching a cord.

Sony dragged their heels in getting anything out to tempt my wildlife needs so I went Fuji with their brilliant 100-400 w/1.4x and that scratched that itch. Otherwise I could have been tempted
...Show more

Hmmm - I may need to eat some crow as I just now noted that the A7rIII has pixel shifting - and the examples I am seeing are significant! ARGH!! I did not want two cameras with different battery types!



Nov 02, 2017 at 06:14 PM
Luvwine
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #3 · p.10 #3 · So everyone is ditching the A7RII for A7RIII ???


dbehrens wrote:
Hmmm - I may need to eat some crow as I just now noted that the A7rIII has pixel shifting - and the examples I am seeing are significant! ARGH!! I did not want two cameras with different battery types!


This feature has kept me from canceling my preorder for the Riii. I will retain an Rii, however, and sell one I think. I am with you on the annoyance of different batteries and chargers. The other issue is that pixel shift will only work on landscapes that are absolutely still....



Nov 02, 2017 at 06:38 PM
GMPhotography
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #4 · p.10 #4 · So everyone is ditching the A7RII for A7RIII ???


Still by meaning dead still for lets be safe here and call it 8-10 seconds still. You want to have the self timer in here to start at least 2 seconds so that needs to be added to overall time.


Nov 02, 2017 at 06:42 PM
Primus
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #5 · p.10 #5 · So everyone is ditching the A7RII for A7RIII ???


dbehrens wrote:
While I agree with that statement in today's context - that was Feb 2016. There was no Sony system available. The 100-400 was not even rumored! I will say this - the Fuji system is brilliant and is much much lighter than my Canon wildlife system at that time (1D Mk4, 500 f/4 & 100-400).


I ditched my 1DX MkII and all the other big lenses for the Sony earlier this year when the A9 came out. For my last field trip to Africa I had to use the Canon 100-400 MkII with the metabones adapter since the Sony wasn't available yet. I found that to be useless for action but pretty good for slow-moving or static subjects.

However, with the 70-200GM, it is a completely different story. I got images that I dare say would not have been possible with the Canon system. And overall a much lighter package considering I carry three bodies with me altogether. Since then I've tested out the Sony 100-400GM and it is actually a tad sharper than the Canon although the latter stays at f4.5 until 300mm or so.




Nov 02, 2017 at 07:41 PM
dbehrens
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #6 · p.10 #6 · So everyone is ditching the A7RII for A7RIII ???


GMPhotography wrote:
Still by meaning dead still for lets be safe here and call it 8-10 seconds still. You want to have the self timer in here to start at least 2 seconds so that needs to be added to overall time.


For a landscape shooter that's shooting pretty fast!




Nov 02, 2017 at 07:58 PM
GMPhotography
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #7 · p.10 #7 · So everyone is ditching the A7RII for A7RIII ???


Well that is not counting real exposure times. Now if its a 5 second exposure than your into a 20 plus second real time pixel shift. This is not easy for landscape. Where this will be very helpful is architecture and product type stuff. You also need a rock for a tripod and NO ground movement. Certainly has a lot of potential but it has its limits.


Nov 02, 2017 at 08:02 PM
dbehrens
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #8 · p.10 #8 · So everyone is ditching the A7RII for A7RIII ???


GMPhotography wrote:
Well that is not counting real exposure times. Now if its a 5 second exposure than your into a 20 plus second real time pixel shift. This is not easy for landscape. Where this will be very helpful is architecture and product type stuff. You also need a rock for a tripod and NO ground movement. Certainly has a lot of potential but it has its limits.


Moving grass/leaves is limiting but then that's always the case when you bracket shoot - which is about 80% of my shooting. What you are describing is no different from a typical dawn/dusk landscape bracket shoot where you shoot depth of field with the fastest exposure 2-4 seconds and the longest around 10-15 seconds.

I just came back from a UT/AZ shoot and about half my shots were over 2 secs and a third were more than 5 secs per frame. . . and landscapers live by rock solid tripods and cable releases!



Nov 02, 2017 at 08:49 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #9 · p.10 #9 · So everyone is ditching the A7RII for A7RIII ???


dbehrens wrote:
Moving grass/leaves is limiting but then that's always the case when you bracket shoot - which is about 80% of my shooting. What you are describing is no different from a typical dawn/dusk landscape bracket shoot where you shoot depth of field with the fastest exposure 2-4 seconds and the longest around 10-15 seconds.

I just came back from a UT/AZ shoot and about half my shots were over 2 secs and a third were more than 5 secs per frame. . . and landscapers live by rock solid tripods and cable releases!


True, and if the wind is very strong, we can always take an additional faster shutter speed exposure (and higher ISO if needed) to freeze the foliage for a later retouch.



Nov 02, 2017 at 08:51 PM
dbehrens
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #10 · p.10 #10 · So everyone is ditching the A7RII for A7RIII ???


Fred Miranda wrote:
True, and if the wind is very strong, we can always take an additional faster shutter speed exposure (and higher ISO if needed) to freeze the foliage for a later retouch.


Yes - I'm thinking similar. Do a pixel shift for the static (mountains, walls, tree trunks, etc) and blend in a normal capture to mitigate moving leaves, etc.

What frustrates me is that there seems to be more questions than answers. This is Sony touting their newest flagship camera and pixel shifting seems almost like a last minute BTW we are also introducing pixel shifting but it will not be an in-camera production but a post processing of proprietary software. Not very good marketing on Sony's part! There are obvious questions left for our assumption, i.e. I guess I'm downloading 4 files, I'm assuming this can be in RAW (because if not I'm not interested), etc. With the SR app gone I also wonder what pixel shifting would do to moving water?

I see there is now a specific thread on the Sony pixel shift so I will continue my thoughts there.




Nov 03, 2017 at 04:11 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #11 · p.10 #11 · So everyone is ditching the A7RII for A7RIII ???


dbehrens wrote:
Yes - I'm thinking similar. Do a pixel shift for the static (mountains, walls, tree trunks, etc) and blend in a normal capture to mitigate moving leaves, etc.

What frustrates me is that there seems to be more questions than answers. This is Sony touting their newest flagship camera and pixel shifting seems almost like a last minute BTW we are also introducing pixel shifting but it will not be an in-camera production but a post processing of proprietary software. Not very good marketing on Sony's part! There are obvious questions left for our assumption, i.e. I guess I'm downloading
...Show more

Pixel shift would introduce false color and ugly artifacts to moving water (or anything that moves/changes, including lighting)

At the end, we could get more apparent resolution for our landscapes but some retouching may be needed for some scenes.

There is this thread:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1514495



Nov 03, 2017 at 04:14 PM
jhinkey
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #12 · p.10 #12 · So everyone is ditching the A7RII for A7RIII ???


Sony's implementation of pixel shift is a little slow for me, but there will be occasions where it could be useful when the scene is sufficiently static - that's like 5% of the time for me, but it could be great that 5%. Wish it was faster between images - hopefully there will be a FW update that will improve upon the time it takes for the images. Don't really care about the out-of-camera processing assuming each of the images is a fully usable RAW file - I assume the Sony software will have some controls that you would not get if the camera combined them internally.

I would think that if they only had to move the sensor 1 pixel each time and one was using the electronic shutter mode that sequential images could/should be taken very rapidly. How log should it take to move a pixel and let the IBIS assembly "settle down" if there is no mechanical shutter shake?

This feels like a technology slightly rushed into production before it was really ready. Like I said, hopefully a FW update will significantly improve this feature.



Nov 03, 2017 at 04:31 PM
bdickers
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #13 · p.10 #13 · So everyone is ditching the A7RII for A7RIII ???


I took advantage of the $500 discount offered on B&H Photo and bought a new A7RII which was delivered this week. I'll pickup an A7RIII at some point next year after the initial furry of back-orders have been filled. There were more than 800 back-orders placed in the first hour once back-orders were allowed on B&H's site. I'm in no hurry, the A7RII is proving to be a terrific camera.




Nov 10, 2017 at 07:25 PM
prodigyphotos
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #14 · p.10 #14 · So everyone is ditching the A7RII for A7RIII ???


bdickers wrote:
I took advantage of the $500 discount offered on B&H Photo and bought a new A7RII which was delivered this week. I'll pickup an A7RIII at some point next year after the initial furry of back-orders have been filled. There were more than 800 back-orders placed in the first hour once back-orders were allowed on B&H's site. I'm in no hurry, the A7RII is proving to be a terrific camera.



what discount was this? does the site already reflect the price? or was there a code to enter at checkout?



Nov 10, 2017 at 10:58 PM
Alex W
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #15 · p.10 #15 · So everyone is ditching the A7RII for A7RIII ???


prodigyphotos wrote:
what discount was this? does the site already reflect the price? or was there a code to enter at checkout?


I think he was talking about the sale Sony ran a week or two ago when the price dropped 500.00. Started about the time pre-orders started on the a7riii and after a week or so the sale ended and now the a7rii is back up to normal pricing.



Nov 10, 2017 at 11:19 PM
elimoss
Online

Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #16 · p.10 #16 · So everyone is ditching the A7RII for A7RIII ???


If the a7riii is shipping in Asia, is the software associated with Pixel Shift out yet?
I was hoping to get a glance at the new software, which might have other interesting features.



Nov 10, 2017 at 11:53 PM
elizabeth77
Online

Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #17 · p.10 #17 · So everyone is ditching the A7RII for A7RIII ???


I'm in no hurry to "upgrade". As bad a case of GAS as I might have I already went for the a9 and, no matter how you slice it, while it has its flaws, the a7rii is hardly a shabby camera. I'm happy with what I have and with waiting for a high MP camera with the AF and speed of the a9.


Nov 11, 2017 at 02:44 AM
mcbroomf
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #18 · p.10 #18 · So everyone is ditching the A7RII for A7RIII ???


mcbroomf wrote:
I succumbed!! I'm going to convert one of my R2's to IR and use the R3 and the other R2 as my normal travel/photo cameras...


Well I un-succumbed ... I cancelled my order for the body and spare batteries and charger this morning. I realized after spending 7 hours with my A7R2's yesterday that although the mk3 would be nice I really don't need it, so I'll live with the R2 until one of them dies then get an R3 assuming the repair cost will be too high.



Nov 12, 2017 at 01:32 PM
scorpiom10
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #19 · p.10 #19 · So everyone is ditching the A7RII for A7RIII ???


Frogfish wrote:
I'll pick up the 3 in exchange for the A7r within the next year however I'm keeping the 2 for the Apps. So disappointed Sony did away with them.


Whatís the deal with apps?
What do they do exactly?
Thanks



Nov 12, 2017 at 02:16 PM
AGeoJO
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #20 · p.10 #20 · So everyone is ditching the A7RII for A7RIII ???


scorpiom10 wrote:
Whatís the deal with apps?
What do they do exactly?
Thanks


There are several apps; check this out: https://www.playmemoriescameraapps.com/portal/



Nov 12, 2017 at 03:25 PM
1       2       3              9      
10
       11       end






FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              9      
10
       11       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password