Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              10       11       end

So everyone is ditching the A7RII for A7RIII ???

Jeff Kott
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · So everyone is ditching the A7RII for A7RIII ???

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned as a possible reason to upgrade is that, just like with the A9, I expect the RIII will be able to Eye AF with the Techart Pro.

Oct 28, 2017 at 04:37 AM
pdmphoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · So everyone is ditching the A7RII for A7RIII ???

Sticking with my 42MP turtle w/apps

Oct 28, 2017 at 04:39 AM
Charlie N
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · So everyone is ditching the A7RII for A7RIII ???

Jeff Kott wrote:
One thing that I haven't seen mentioned as a possible reason to upgrade is that, just like with the A9, I expect the RIII will be able to Eye AF with the Techart Pro.

That wouldn't be enough for me to switch, however coverage to the edges, then I would consider very much. How does TAP work on the A9 other that eye AF? TAP is much poorer than metabones.

Oct 28, 2017 at 05:30 AM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · So everyone is ditching the A7RII for A7RIII ???

I'm just getting rdy to mod my r2, which I only had since April.

I like the r3, it seems all positive change, unlike A9, which lost a crucial video feature.

I doubt the improvements are enough to pull out of the needy nature of all their cameras. I don't like to use the r2 at all. I like what it can do alot. But forget staying in the analog moment, you have to dive into sony world with every lens change, jeez every framing, is electronic.

My Leica feels a part of the real world, not a distraction from it. Yet r2 can do many tricks. So it has been, and it's more of the same. Right now, I'd rather have a m10

But r3 looks just fine.

Oct 28, 2017 at 05:53 AM
buthurt
• •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · So everyone is ditching the A7RII for A7RIII ???

I'll wait for A7II to sink to $800. The extra pixels don't really help much with my manual lenses I shoot most with. Probably will dump my Nikon D600 as well.

Oct 28, 2017 at 08:10 AM
Mirror
• •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · So everyone is ditching the A7RII for A7RIII ???

For my shooting-style the Mark III doesn't help... Keeping my 2x A7RII vs. 1x A7RIII. With this solution I got also 2x batteries capacity and 2 SD-Slots with me Waiting for a A9R.

Oct 28, 2017 at 11:44 AM
virtualrain
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · So everyone is ditching the A7RII for A7RIII ???

They had me at AF joystick. I find moving the focus point using the wheel a pain, although the last firmware update improved things a bit, itís still a kludge. The III fixes every complaint with the II and offers the same great sensor. Itís a no brainer for me. The lack of apps is a bummer but thatís minor. Iíll admit I donít really understand the benefit of the pixel shift, but even if thatís useless to me, the other enhancements are all very welcome.

Oct 28, 2017 at 11:45 AM
chiron
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · So everyone is ditching the A7RII for A7RIII ???

I think that in the initial adrenaline rush of the Sony announcement, a number of owners sold cheap. They had to be people who had multiple cameras since the a7r3 won't be out for more than a month, and they had to be people who were ok taking a big loss on their cameras for one reason or another (e.g., that they are professionals and a few hundred dollars doesn't mean anything in terms of their work equipment).

Sony has now priced the a7r2 at $2400 (a price point $800 less than the a7r3), and I am sure that is what they expect to sell them for. I think that the Sony price for a new body is the price that will determine what used a7r2 bodies sell for, once the initial excitement diminishes. Once the initial rush of impulse sales slows down and the a7r3 is not quite the shiny new object it is now, I think the price for good a7r2 bodies will rise toward $2000-$2100--in other words, about a normal discount from Sony's price for a new one.

Warren Buffet would say that now is the time to buy an a7r2, not to sell one.

Oct 28, 2017 at 07:12 PM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · So everyone is ditching the A7RII for A7RIII ???

Once the r3 ships, you will see the r2 prices really fall. Most don't want to sell till they have the new one.

I would expect another 20% drop in used value.

Oct 28, 2017 at 08:32 PM
billsnature
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · So everyone is ditching the A7RII for A7RIII ???

Keeping A7R II... May ditch A7R since I always carry two bodies and I am excited about the A7R II and III using essentially the same sensor.

Oct 28, 2017 at 10:40 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

chiron
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · So everyone is ditching the A7RII for A7RIII ???

Looking on ebay, current prices seem to reflect only the Sony official price reduction--new camera bodies going for the official price of $2400. I don't see any bargains.

Edited on Oct 28, 2017 at 11:03 PM · View previous versions

Oct 28, 2017 at 11:00 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · So everyone is ditching the A7RII for A7RIII ???

Charlie N wrote:
How does TAP work on the A9 other that eye AF? TAP is much poorer than metabones.

But they don't do the same thing, do they?

Oct 28, 2017 at 11:01 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · So everyone is ditching the A7RII for A7RIII ???

Every word chiron said. Used prices matter little now, and yes they will fall significantly. Why buy someone's troubles if you can buy a great market-proven camera new with warranty, for $800 less than a near clone? It's Sony's gift to sensible people. A lot will simply buy an extra a7rII.

Oct 28, 2017 at 11:02 PM
dad3and3
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · So everyone is ditching the A7RII for A7RIII ???

chiron wrote:
Looking on ebay, current prices seem to reflect only the Sony official price reduction--new camera bodies going for the official price of $2400. I don't see any bargains.

If you look at the Sold Items you'll see some real bargains and I think they will only get better before the market stabilizes which is normal for a new body of this caliber being introduced. I don't believe I've seen many of the real workhorse bodies come to market yet. The ones with 100,000 + shots. Most of the ones we're seeing now are low mileage.

Once the new bodies start shipping I think you'll see a second wave come to market. But if you find a bargain now it's the time to buy!

Oct 29, 2017 at 12:01 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · So everyone is ditching the A7RII for A7RIII ???

philip_pj wrote:
Every word chiron said. Used prices matter little now, and yes they will fall significantly. Why buy someone's troubles if you can buy a great market-proven camera new with warranty, for $800 less than a near clone? It's Sony's gift to sensible people. A lot will simply buy an extra a7rII.

do you really have to call folks upgrading irrational?

Oct 29, 2017 at 12:19 AM
sflxn
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · So everyone is ditching the A7RII for A7RIII ???

Would love to see how many people jump from A7RII to A7RIII who will then turn around and jump to the A9R (if one comes out) in the next year or so.

AF joystick, improved LCD and EVF and IBIS are really tempting, but I'd have to get a new set of batteries and chargers. The A7RII image quality is already so good, other feature enhancements are just nice to have. Will monitor the reviews. See if A9R gets announced. Also, I have a GH5 with 3.7mp EVF. Not sure if it's the same technology, but it's not that big of an improvement over 2.4mp.

Oct 29, 2017 at 12:37 AM
davewolfs
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · So everyone is ditching the A7RII for A7RIII ???

THERE IS NO A9R COMING.

Oct 29, 2017 at 12:41 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · So everyone is ditching the A7RII for A7RIII ???

I think folks need to read and understand a little better if the specs. Itís not a clone by any stretch. This was said from the A7r to A7rII as well and it was far from the same thing in many ways.

Letís get back to reality I had the A7rII and sometimes it was a fight to get things done. It actually forced me to buy a A9 and drop from 42 to 24 and needless to say 4500 dollars. Folks upgrading to the A7rIII is not irrational itís actually smart as they know it will help them achieve the operational need they seek. I totally get it. Worse Iím selling my A9 to get back to 42. If anyone is irrational itís me. So yea call me whatever and say Iím nuts. But I know what I need. End of day people like to buy new gear and itís not about money but about feeling good too.

Oct 29, 2017 at 12:52 AM
chiron
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · So everyone is ditching the A7RII for A7RIII ???

dad3and3 wrote:
If you look at the Sold Items you'll see some real bargains and I think they will only get better before the market stabilizes which is normal for a new body of this caliber being introduced. I don't believe I've seen many of the real workhorse bodies come to market yet. The ones with 100,000 + shots. Most of the ones we're seeing now are low mileage.

Once the new bodies start shipping I think you'll see a second wave come to market. But if you find a bargain now it's the time to buy!

Interesting. How do you view sold items on ebay? I have never noticed a way to do that, except for those I have sold my self.

Oct 29, 2017 at 01:00 AM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · So everyone is ditching the A7RII for A7RIII ???

GMPhotography wrote:
I think folks need to read and understand a little better if the specs. Itís not a clone by any stretch. This was said from the A7r to A7rII as well and it was far from the same thing in many ways.

Letís get back to reality I had the A7rII and sometimes it was a fight to get things done. It actually forced me to buy a A9 and drop from 42 to 24 and needless to say 4500 dollars. Folks upgrading to the A7rIII is not irrational itís actually smart as they know it will help them achieve
...Show more

Makes complete sense! If you do not need the FPS and the A7rIII is 95% there in AF speed/accuracy and a 30% lower entry cost makes great sense.

Oct 29, 2017 at 01:01 AM
1       2      

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password