Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       end
  

If the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED us updated...
  
 
Blakehfreeman
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · If the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED us updated...


The "amateur set" is keeping Nikon in business and prices down. Nikon designs lenses around parameters given by the designers themselves and demand in the market.

Ironic that you think Nikon is bending to amateurs that want a wider zoom when the Nikon 14-24 is one of the narrowest ranges of any zoom Nikon makes.

Ai_Print wrote:
I'd pay $3,000 for the lens I want ( 18-30 or 20-35 F4 VR w/ 77mm filter threads that is near flawless in the corners by 5.6 ) and zero for the lens you want. The amateur set seems hell bent on big zoom ranges with fast speeds and giant filter sizes regardless of what the corners look like. It's truly a drag that it goes this way and does not have to.

If Nikon would just limit the zoom range, max aperture to F3.5 or 4.0 it would be entirely possible to make a zoom that is as sharp
...Show more



Nov 02, 2017 at 01:30 AM
charles.K
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · If the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED us updated...


josh paris wrote:
I'd rather see an update to the 16-35mm from f4 to f2.8 +weathersealing myself...not that I could afford said beast.


The 16-35mm lens is now really important for many pro wedding photographers and either f/2.8 or 4 with VR. Image stabilization is equally important as many of my friends are now including videos clips with their D850 and is a must for image stabilization. A number of have opted Art Series, Tamron for those zooms that have image stabilization for videos alone.

The 16-35mm lens is a really important work horse lens, but I really don't feel that an UWA like the 14-24/f2.8 is as high a priority for now. Even if they introduced the 14-24/2.8E I would still opt for 2007 version for the performance/value ratio alone. If I need a front filter designed for the 14-24, I would just ask Camera Clinic in Melbourne to design one as I am sure they have one already.



Nov 02, 2017 at 01:42 AM
DavidM5
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · If the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED us updated...


I recently sold my 14-24 and plan on selling my 17-35 soon both lenses being replaced by the Tamron 15-30.
Ideally Nikon comes up with a 16-35 F2.8E VR with the ability to use regular filters.

For now the Tamron is fulfilling my needs for an modern wide angle lens although it's quite heavy.
Pretty much all my new glass is bigger as well all requiring 82mm and up filters.
I upgraded to the Nikon 24-70 E, Sigma 85 and 135 Art and only the 70-200E retaining the 77mm size.



Nov 03, 2017 at 05:23 PM
elkhornsun
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · If the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED us updated...


Nothing to fix. It already has the nano coating which is the last real development for lenses. VR would be worthless and the optics are already outstanding. I get sharper pictures from the 14-24mm than from any Nikon or Canon prime lens in this focal length range.

Nikon chose to include pictures taken with this lens in its D850 brochure to demonstrate the full capabilities of the new camera. No better endorsement than that.

Optics really change very little over the post-computer years. A manufacturer may provide a different focal length range as with some of the new Sigma zoom lenses, but that is about it.

With cameras such as the D8xx ones the best aperture in many situations is f/8 or larger and that is a problem with diffraction that no new lens magic is going to overcome. Instead we will see more cameras providing focus shifting as with the new D850 to provide increased DOF in the post processed images.



Nov 03, 2017 at 06:39 PM
SoundHound
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · If the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED us updated...


The 14-24 is “sharper than a Prime” at 14mm (at the time of release the sharpest 14 around) and it is a F2.8. Yes not quite so sharp at 24mm but then there are a lot of lenses that start around 24mm that will serve.


Nov 06, 2017 at 01:30 PM
Blakehfreeman
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · If the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED us updated...


Nothing is broken but if you've shot the Nikon 70-200 VRII and Nikon 70-200 2.8E next to one another [i have] there's always room for improvement.

elkhornsun wrote:
Nothing to fix. It already has the nano coating which is the last real development for lenses. VR would be worthless and the optics are already outstanding. I get sharper pictures from the 14-24mm than from any Nikon or Canon prime lens in this focal length range.

Nikon chose to include pictures taken with this lens in its D850 brochure to demonstrate the full capabilities of the new camera. No better endorsement than that.

Optics really change very little over the post-computer years. A manufacturer may provide a different focal length range as with some of the new Sigma zoom lenses,
...Show more



Nov 06, 2017 at 07:14 PM
gdsf2
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · If the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED us updated...


Ai_Print wrote:
I'd pay $3,000 for the lens I want ( 18-30 or 20-35 F4 VR w/ 77mm filter threads that is near flawless in the corners by 5.6 ) and zero for the lens you want. The amateur set seems hell bent on big zoom ranges with fast speeds and giant filter sizes regardless of what the corners look like. It's truly a drag that it goes this way and does not have to.

If Nikon would just limit the zoom range, max aperture to F3.5 or 4.0 it would be entirely possible to make a zoom that is as sharp
...Show more

"The amateur set" - Really? What a silly unnecessary comment. I don't choose to make photography my career...because I can make a lot more money doing what I do. That money allows me to buy the gear I buy for my photography hobby. My dollars are just as valid to Nikon as your dollars. Is that what bothers you?



Nov 06, 2017 at 07:55 PM
90 5.0
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · If the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED us updated...



I’d like a new 17-35 2.8 vr but not enough to buy one. The 17-35 has always worked well enough “for me”



Nov 07, 2017 at 03:51 AM
Two23
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · If the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED us updated...


gpelpel wrote:
Obvious change will be higher price!



+1


Kent in SD




Nov 07, 2017 at 04:05 AM
Two23
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · If the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED us updated...


SoundHound wrote:
The 14-24 is “sharper than a Prime” at 14mm (at the time of release the sharpest 14 around) and it is a F2.8. Yes not quite so sharp at 24mm but then there are a lot of lenses that start around 24mm that will serve.



At one time this was true, but now the Sigma 14/20/24mm trio has slipped past it, as has a few Zeiss lenses.


Kent in SD




Nov 07, 2017 at 04:15 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Blakehfreeman
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · If the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED us updated...


I owned the Nikon 24mm 1.4 and Sigma 24mm 1.4... they were sharper than the 14-24, but not hugely so... you're other two examples 👍🏻👍🏻

Two23 wrote:
At one time this was true, but now the Sigma 14/20/24mm trio has slipped past it, as has a few Zeiss lenses.

Kent in SD





Nov 07, 2017 at 04:16 AM
charles.K
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · If the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED us updated...


I have the 20/1.8G, 20 and 24 Art lenses and I find the 14-24/2.8 to be superb. I have now just moved on my 20 Art and the 24 Art is dedicated for street photography now

Maybe I just have an excellent copy of the 14-24/2.8 lens and I find that even at 24mm lens I am not looking for anymore sharpness or lacking in anyway.

The real strength of the 14, 20 and 24 Art is the f1.8 and f1.4 respectively. For most landscapes you don't want to use WA's wide open unless you into astro photography. The 14 and 20 Art lenses are superb but they are very large and heavy to be carrying around as a prime lens. However the 24 Art is about the size and weight 665 gms as the 35 Art so this is about my threshold for a street lens



Nov 07, 2017 at 04:41 AM
ffstory
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · If the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED us updated...


I only wish they fix terrible focus shift this lens suffers from.

Also it could be more balanced (less front heavy).



Nov 07, 2017 at 09:52 PM
Pixel Perfect
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · If the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED us updated...


Would people prefer a 12-24 f/4 or a 14-24 f/2.8? Personally I’d take the 12-24 for landscape and interior shots and hope Nikon also release a long overdue 16-35 f/2.8 VR. Also if they stick to 14mm, I’d rather it was a 2x zoom and make it 14-28 f/2.8, I don’t care about a little overlap with a 24-70.


Nov 08, 2017 at 12:47 AM
charles.K
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · If the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED us updated...


There is the 12-24/f4 Art lens available and it is superb. I have a number of friends using this lens for functions, weddings as well as landscapes with their D810/D750 and D850's. The only reason I opted for the 14-24/f2.8 was the weight difference of 15% compared to the 12-24/f4 Art and having the f/2.8 was nice for group portraits.


Nov 08, 2017 at 01:13 AM
Blakehfreeman
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · If the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED us updated...


I'd want 14-24 2.8, 14 is already almost too wide for me...

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Would people prefer a 12-24 f/4 or a 14-24 f/2.8? Personally I’d take the 12-24 for landscape and interior shots and hope Nikon also release a long overdue 16-35 f/2.8 VR. Also if they stick to 14mm, I’d rather it was a 2x zoom and make it 14-28 f/2.8, I don’t care about a little overlap with a 24-70.




Nov 08, 2017 at 01:41 AM
charles.K
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · If the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED us updated...


Blakehfreeman wrote:
I'd want 14-24 2.8, 14 is already almost too wide for me...



Surprisingly I have never been a UWA shooter, but the 14-24/f2.8 gives the flexibility in framing and there is little distortion so it is a lot of fun to use. Having a fixed prime of 14mm I would find to limiting but there many that love the 14/1.8 Art.



Nov 08, 2017 at 01:46 AM
GroovyGeek
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · If the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED us updated...


Unless they can bend the laws of physics so that you don't have to carry the monstrosities called Fotodiox filters I am not sure what they would do to make the lens notably better. I was considering going back to a 16-35 for that reason alone, until I dropped my 14-24 and now it has a stiff zoom ring. Will have to take an absolute bath selling it, so for now I am sticking with it.


Nov 08, 2017 at 05:52 AM
Dustin Gent
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · If the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED us updated...


i would be more surprised if they made an updated 14-24 over a 16-35.


Nov 09, 2017 at 02:44 AM
Arka
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · If the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED us updated...


GroovyGeek wrote:
Unless they can bend the laws of physics so that you don't have to carry the monstrosities called Fotodiox filters I am not sure what they would do to make the lens notably better. I was considering going back to a 16-35 for that reason alone, until I dropped my 14-24 and now it has a stiff zoom ring. Will have to take an absolute bath selling it, so for now I am sticking with it.


My thinking as well. I have the 16-35 f/4 which I use for most landscapes but I won't ever let go for the 14-24 for its night-shooting capabilities and absolutely superb optical performance. If I could easily put filters on it, I would use it all the time, but I suspect that making a 14mm lens without a bulbous front element would be pretty hard to do.



Nov 09, 2017 at 09:30 AM
1      
2
       end






FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password