New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

24-105 mark II weather sealing

Flowernut
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 24-105 mark II weather sealing

I got a communication error with this lens (other lenses worked fine) when working in intermittent drizzle. I've done this many many times in the past with the version I. After lens dried out for a couple of hours it worked fine. Anyone else experience similar problems?

Oct 26, 2017 at 09:35 PM
JimboCin
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 24-105 mark II weather sealing

I don't have this lens and have not experienced that problem, but a few thoughts.

On the lens, check the black circular rubber gasket for damage. Check the metal mating surfaces on the lens and the camera body for wear. Most likely they are fine, but worth a look.

The gasket makes the connection weather sealed but that sealing is not perfect. I know you said it was only intermitant drizzle, but I have heard of others having problems with very minor wetness situations.

Putting full rain protection on one's camera in such situations seems like overkill, and it does take some effort to do that.

In these situations (light, intermitant drizzle) I carry a small cotton washcloth and put it over my camera. This absorbs the moisture and helps to insure rain drops do not hit the camera, plus it is fast and easy to do.

I usually am wearing a raincoat in these situations, and put my camera under my raincoat when not shooting.

It's a matter of risk. How much risk does one want to take and what measures does one want to take to mitigste the risks.

Oct 28, 2017 at 12:56 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 24-105 mark II weather sealing

Is the lens used on a weather sealed camera? I think the o-ring on the lens doesn't create a full seal unless mated to a camera with a weather sealed mount.

Oct 28, 2017 at 05:19 PM
Flowernut
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 24-105 mark II weather sealing

lens is being used on 5D mark IV. I don't see any damage to mating parts.

Oct 28, 2017 at 07:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JimboCin
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 24-105 mark II weather sealing

Well - it happened to you, so I guess that tells you something. What do you plan to do in the future in similar situations?

Oct 29, 2017 at 01:55 AM
Flowernut
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 24-105 mark II weather sealing

I'm not sure. I've gone to using my old 24-105 for the balance of the trip or at least in bad weather. I will probably send it into canon. It really should not have been a problem. If they don't find anything wrong I guess puting it in a rain cover. I had it covered at the time with my hat but not with the first drop.

Oct 31, 2017 at 05:30 AM
JimboCin
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 24-105 mark II weather sealing

I had a friend who had one drip of perspiration drop onto his camera. The camera stopped working and needed rather expensive repairs. One drip!

The point is - stuff happens. We each need to determine what level of risk we want to take and what level of protection we want to use. Our past experience and the experience of other's that we hear about all goes into our mental calculations on this.

I would be willing to bet Canon will tell you the camera is normal and fine. It sounds like you have already checked the things that are important to check on it.

Nov 02, 2017 at 10:11 PM
Flowernut
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 24-105 mark II weather sealing

I've been with canon since the FTb in the early 70's. Your probably right they will say lens is fine. I followed my normal routine so that is why the surprise!

Nov 03, 2017 at 04:41 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password