New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Samantha senior pics

friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Samantha senior pics

Here are some shots of Samantha from her senior portrait session. This isn't meant to be representative of a complete set, but are some of my faves from the 32 pics going in her album. Lots of full body shots. i just seem to be drawn to these tighter shots from this set.

Also, no full blown smiles here. I shoot almost every shot: no smile, soft smile, big smile. I'm usually cracking them up to get the big smile, no need to ask for a smile on my shoots. But in Samantha's case, the mom was really drawn to her classical beauty in the non-smiles, so she chose a lot them. And frankly, that makes me happy because these are the images I like the best.

Oct 26, 2017 at 06:29 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Samantha senior pics

4 and 5 for me. Notice how flattering the 1-2-3 type pose in #5 is for this round faced beauty.

Also compare the chin in #3 and #4. The pose in #4 brings her face forward, which has a nice slimming effect on the chin/neck.

Oct 26, 2017 at 06:42 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Samantha senior pics

Ron,
Interesting set. Beautify senior, with Incredible coloring.
Picking your brain, can you comment on challenges and intent and or post processing of the high-key skin exposure, along with the obvious paleness?

In #3' it appears her left shoulder over exposure is 'blown' ?

Oct 26, 2017 at 06:57 PM
benee
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Samantha senior pics

These are really nice, but I feel like the exposure on the face is significantly too hot.

Oct 26, 2017 at 07:13 PM
engardeknave
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Samantha senior pics

Reminds me of that movie Cocoon.

Oct 26, 2017 at 07:22 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Samantha senior pics

benee wrote:
These are really nice, but I feel like the exposure on the face is significantly too hot.

That's my style. Anything different, and my clients would be looking at me with their head sideways, their nose scrunched up, and glaring like... well, not happy. This client was very happy and spent roughly twice as much as she was planning to.

Oct 26, 2017 at 07:27 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Samantha senior pics

Ron,
How much of this high-key exposure is originally captured, vs post processed? In the posted photos, the non skin exposure is obviously dead on, but curious if you pull down from high-key exposure, or pull up from proper exposure.

Oct 26, 2017 at 07:45 PM
benee
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Samantha senior pics

friscoron wrote:
That's my style. Anything different, and my clients would be looking at me with their head sideways, their nose scrunched up, and glaring like... well, not happy. This client was very happy and spent roughly twice as much as she was planning to.

right on.

Oct 26, 2017 at 07:52 PM
engardeknave
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Samantha senior pics

friscoron wrote:

Nope. This whole "that's my style thing" is hilarious. The face is overexposed to the point at which she looks like an illuminated marshmallow puff. This is just wrong.

I know you don't like hearing that, but somebody's got to break the news to you. If it doesn't look that bad on your monitor, try another one.

Oct 26, 2017 at 08:01 PM
01Ryan10
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Samantha senior pics

engardeknave wrote:
Nope. This whole "that's my style thing" is hilarious. The face is overexposed to the point at which she looks like an illuminated marshmallow puff. This is just wrong.

I know you don't like hearing that, but somebody's got to break the news to you. If it doesn't look that bad on your monitor, try another one.

um...it's his style. You make it seem as though you're breaking the news to him for the first time. I'd even bet he'd agree the face is overexposed, but...it's his style.

Oct 26, 2017 at 10:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Samantha senior pics

engardeknave wrote:

Ah, nice. So you don't like it. That's a good thing to me! I like being different, and that means there's going to be people who don't like my work. I have zero desire to shoot like you, no matter how you shoot. I want only to shoot and produce images the way I like them.

And my monitor's fine.

Oct 26, 2017 at 10:49 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Samantha senior pics

gschlact wrote:
Ron,
Interesting set. Beautify senior, with Incredible coloring.
Picking your brain, can you comment on challenges and intent and or post processing of the high-key skin exposure, along with the obvious paleness?

In #3' it appears her left shoulder over exposure is 'blown' ?

I think you meant No. 4. It's close being blown, but it's not.

As for the high-key exposures, whether she has a pale skin tone or whatever, that's the way I do things. I get it that other photographers will think it's too blown out. But it's different, yes? Well, that's exactly the boat I want to sail, the USS Different.

So having said that, I'll touch on my artistic bent here a bit. I like that the skin is blown out so her eyes and lips just pop the way they do. That's exactly the look I was going for, and I'm always happy when the light works like that and it allows me to do that.

Oct 26, 2017 at 10:53 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Samantha senior pics

Hi Ron,

Shots 1, 2, 3, 5, and 6 look pretty good. I personally would go about 1/2 stop less on the face, but as you said, it's your style. The only downside I see to this is it makes the face seem flatter, with less depth or features. This is particularly true in shot #4 ... I wonder on that one if you pulled back that 1/2 stop how it would look.

The only shot I think you really "over-did it" on the face exposure was #7; in that one the skin really looks washed out ... but, that makes the color of the eyes, lips, etc. pop out like the background pops ... was that what you were after?

If that's your style and what your customers are coming to you for, then who am I to argue ... I have to say though, I prefer the way you expose your dancing shots.

Cheers,
Andre

Oct 27, 2017 at 01:26 AM
benee
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Samantha senior pics

Andre Labonte wrote:
The only shot I think you really "over-did it" on the face exposure was #7; in that one the skin really looks washed out ... but, that makes the color of the eyes, lips, etc. pop out like the background pops ... was that what you were after?

Andre

Ron - looking on these at home (on my calibrated monitor) I see more of what you're going for and see more detail/skin tone on her face. I have to agree with Andre though - #7 seems overblown, even given the high key style you're going for.

#4 is damn gorgeous, btw. Beautiful pose, expression. Really, really excellent.

Oct 27, 2017 at 01:55 AM
Medowlark
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Samantha senior pics

Iím not sure why I am bothering to write this, given that you are perfectly happy with the skin tones you present here. I also donít know why you bother to post if you donít want advice from the community. Let me just say that I have spent a lot of time working to perfect skin tones and I have noticed that most people donít even realize what a big difference realistic skin tones can make in a portrait until they see them. My suggestion is give your clients a choice Ė they might surprise you.

Oct 27, 2017 at 02:35 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Samantha senior pics

I still have this impression that you know what you are doing.. I look forward to your posts.

Oct 27, 2017 at 07:19 AM
mikekeating
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Samantha senior pics

Hi Ron,
I like the fact your photos are not the same as others. But that is just me . . .well, and you too.

My favorite is 3. I really like the colors, the nature tie in and even a little "rule breaking" by cutting off the elbow. Looking at the scarf in 1 vs 3, the color just jumps out and adds to the image.

Oct 27, 2017 at 01:14 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Samantha senior pics

Medowlark wrote:
Iím not sure why I am bothering to write this, given that you are perfectly happy with the skin tones you present here. I also donít know why you bother to post if you donít want advice from the community. Let me just say that I have spent a lot of time working to perfect skin tones and I have noticed that most people donít even realize what a big difference realistic skin tones can make in a portrait until they see them. My suggestion is give your clients a choice Ė they might surprise you.

You have to be new to FM to suggest that I don't want advice from FM. Certainly I do, and I have a long history here demonstrating that and expressing appreciation for it. However, I'm not going to change my style based on other people's opinion. I know that when I blow out a face as I did in No. 7, 90 people out of 100 are not going to like it. Maybe 95. Maybe 98. I don't really care. I'm not trying to please the majority when I shoot and edit. If we all did that, we'd be making the exact same image. I have absolutely zero interest in that.

I'm not put off by people here expressing their displeasure with that image, or the others in this set where the face is more blown out than what they think it should be. I'm in no way comparing myself to Picasso, but look at how schizophrenic his paintings were. You think his sanity wasn't questioned while he was making those paintings?

When I presented the images to the client and her daughter, the subject, I showed four different images of this shot: two non-smiles, one soft smile, one big smile. My normal thing. In all other shots in the series, she'd select maybe one of four shots I presented, something like that. I presented something like 115 images, and she selected 32 for the book. She selected all four of this shot. And we spent more time just sitting there staring at these four images than any of the others, by far.

So your argument would be that it would have even more impact if I brought in more skin tones, and I'll argue that she had skin tones in plenty of other relatively similar images. But these were different. And these were the shots that stopped her.

And actually, if it means anything, the mom is a makeup artist and works at a salon. She did her daughter's makeup, and it was flawless.

If anything comes out of this, I just hope that someone reading this will dare to be different. Follow her or his own path.

Oct 27, 2017 at 02:01 PM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Samantha senior pics

Captain Obvious checking in here, the fact that your clients are happy and the $ keeps rolling in is what matters most..I'm a believer in don't fix what's not broken rather than if it's not broken work on it until it is..nice job and going against the grain to have your own creative style

Oct 27, 2017 at 02:16 PM
Chad Bassman
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Samantha senior pics

Great website, but you spelled Schaumburg wong

Oct 27, 2017 at 03:11 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password