Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

end

Please help me cure a bad case of the BLUES!

RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Please help me cure a bad case of the BLUES!

Well, I can't really answer your question, since that depends on what it is that we are trying to address in your question. Mine was just a guess as to what you are finding disagreeable with your OP / Blues. Until you can better describe what it is you are either aspiring for, or finding to be offensive, this was only a guess / prompt to help facilitate you telling us what you are trying to achieve.

To that point ... without knowing what you are trying to achieve, I can't comment about whether the look is helpful, detracting or lifeless. By that, it largely depends on what you are trying to convey as to what such a change would contribute or take away from.

So, what is it that you are looking to achieve (or avoid), I'm at a loss to understand what your objective is ... other than something about not liking those blues? Can you be a bit more descriptive for us?

Here's another guess (based on some additional lighting analysis) to what you might be looking for, in a different direction. Although, it would probably be easier if you could just tell us ... then we could get on to offer guidance on how to achieve it.

Oct 28, 2017 at 01:07 AM
Camperjim
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Please help me cure a bad case of the BLUES!

uintaangler wrote:
Thank you RustyBug.

If you don't mind answering an important question for me - do you think the color of the water in your quick fix image is acceptable ( enhances or at least does not detract from the overall image )?
Because I can get that result, have done it many times and just can't decide if the "desaturation" gives a lifeless look to a large part of the image

When color needs to be adjusted, I start with global adjustments. If those do not work because they alter colors in other parts of the image, then I do selective adjustments. For the water in this image, I would just use the lasso tool with a large feather.

Oct 28, 2017 at 12:29 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Please help me cure a bad case of the BLUES!

Okay, so after a bit more thought on this, here's what I've assessed.

As mentioned, portions of the scene are being illuminated from different color light sources. The low angle of sidelighting is providing a warmer source of illumination. By globally neutralizing the warm light (via camera WB or PP), we are adding in the additional blues.

The water, however is NOT being illuminated by that warm light. The water (different plane, different angle) is being illuminated by the cyanic sky. The adjustment of additional cyan / blue to neutralize the warmly lit areas at pushing the water.

As so many things are a matter of S&P to taste, if the water is being illuminated WITHOUT the warmth of the sidelighting (AI=AR), then the shadow sides of the clouds are also being illuminated WITHOUT the warmth of the sidelighting. Setting your WB, using the gray (vs. white / black) WB eyedropper (i.e. levels, etc.) based on the underside of the clouds will offset for the lack of warmth (i.e. the blues).

As we can see above, a global adjustment will then pull out some of those blues. In doing so, we are adding warmth back in to the areas illuminated by the sidelighting. Whether a person chooses to allow the warmth of the sidelighting to reveal itself (as shown above), or decides to selectively apply warmer WB adjustment is a matter of choice for S&P.

We tend to think of our ambient light as being homogeneous and uniform, but depending or orientation, direction, angle and plane ... we are often times working in mixed lighting. Where we have nominal variances, it doesn't reveal itself nearly so much. Where we have significant differences (southeast/southwest facing vertical buildings vs. northeast facing horizontal water) in the orientation of our subjects, the can be receiving very different colors of light for their illumination.

Time of day, season of year, and angle of incidence / reflection (position / orientation) all come in to play here. We'd like to think it is a matter of clicking on the brightest area to establish WB, but that is only true when we actually have uniform / homogeneous lighting throughout. Otherwise, we have decisions to make regarding the non-uniform lighting ... i.e. which areas to neutralize vs. which areas to allow the color to be revealed.

But, in order to do that, we first mush assess, determine and understand what portions of our scene are being illuminated the same vs. differently from other portions of the scene. Where our source lighting is (more nearly) uniform, it requires less thought. In others, it can be a bit more cerebral to understand how the pieces are fitting together.

Here's the same image, with a mask applied at the waterline, and a partial mask applied to the sky. Where you dial it in with your S&P to taste is certain variable (noting the amount of diff in blues / cyan @ sky / clouds), but imo the key is to understanding your different light sources, then you can adjust for them independently (via masks) to balance them to your preference and desired message to be conveyed. From here, you can render your water to whatever level of "blue" you desire.

I realize that this is done in PS with layer masks, but you can do similarly in LR. The key is understanding your lighting and to apply / not apply hue directional adjustments.

As always, S&P to taste (and desired message of conveyance).

HTH

Oct 28, 2017 at 01:19 PM
uintaangler
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Please help me cure a bad case of the BLUES!

Mr. RustyBug.......

Oct 29, 2017 at 06:06 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

uintaangler
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Please help me cure a bad case of the BLUES!

Camperjim :
Thanks!

Oct 29, 2017 at 06:07 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Please help me cure a bad case of the BLUES!

uintaangler wrote:
Mr. RustyBug.......

I guess that means, this is more in line with what you were trying to achieve.

Oct 29, 2017 at 05:17 PM
pbraymond
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Please help me cure a bad case of the BLUES!

tag for Rustybug's explanation! Will definitely revisit.

Nov 10, 2017 at 01:00 PM
CMYK Designs
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Please help me cure a bad case of the BLUES!

RustyBug wrote:
Well, I can't really answer your question, since that depends on what it is that we are trying to address in your question. Mine was just a guess as to what you are finding disagreeable with your OP / Blues. Until you can better describe what it is you are either aspiring for, or finding to be offensive, this was only a guess / prompt to help facilitate you telling us what you are trying to achieve.

To that point ... without knowing what you are trying to achieve, I can't comment about whether the look is helpful, detracting or lifeless.
...Show more

IMO, this one works the best. The brighter skyline draws the eye and there doesn't seem to be the bluish cast that was there before...I even think the blue water would be less of an impact, given the "new look" of the skyline...
FYI, this is a shot from my trip to Seattle....annoying blue water, but the lighthouse pulls your eye away from it....

Bill Mayes 2017

Nov 10, 2017 at 06:35 PM
       end

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password