Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Please help me cure a bad case of the BLUES!

uintaangler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Please help me cure a bad case of the BLUES!

I recently moved from the red rock country of Utah to the Pacific Northwest
Now instead of shooting pictures of rocks, I am shooting lots of pictures of boats and water.
I had a fun opportunity to shoot a couple of fishing boats in the Puget Sound not far from my new home using my Nikon 70-200 VR2 ( wish I had brought along the 300 )
It was about 10am - mostly sunny skies
I ran into a problem that I have been encountering frequently in my new environment - I can't figure out how to get the blue in the water under control.
I don't use Photoshop - only Lightroom - and I have fooled around with the white balance, luminosity, saturation, and keep ending up with results similar to this image.
I would appreciate any tips and suggestions.
Thanks.

uintaangler 2017

Fishing Boats

Oct 26, 2017 at 03:40 AM
pliukait
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Please help me cure a bad case of the BLUES!

You're gonna have to change your profile to indicate your new City/State

What is needing to be 'under control' in the water? I think it looks fine.

Oct 26, 2017 at 01:43 PM
engardeknave
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Please help me cure a bad case of the BLUES!

It doesn't look like there's anything particularly wrong with the blues in this image. If anything it looks a little underexposed.

However, when wrangling colors, don't dismiss the idea of messing with each color individually, and even changing them a lot (HSL / Color).

Oct 26, 2017 at 01:57 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Please help me cure a bad case of the BLUES!

uintaangler wrote:

I can't figure out how to get the blue in the water under control

Can you elaborate on what aspects of the blue that you find undesirable? Are you having trouble with controlling saturation, hue or luminance values? Are you not liking the relationship of the water color to the non-water colors? Is this a universal issue you seem to be having, or is it mostly related to this outing?

A couple notes regarding water color are that mostly water is colorless, and is merely reflecting the sky color as a byproduct of AI = AR.

That coupled with the sidelighting (in this scene) and the morning / seasonal time (i.e. angle), the illumination of the boats is different color than the illumination of the sky (from which the water is getting its color).

That being said, if you could clarify what you're struggling with a bit more, we might be able to further assist.

Oct 26, 2017 at 02:36 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Please help me cure a bad case of the BLUES!

If you feel the water is too dark/saturated, you could use an adjustment brush to lighten and/or de-saturate the water. I'd also consider using another adjustment brush to help with the blue haze on the land in the background.

Oct 26, 2017 at 03:05 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Please help me cure a bad case of the BLUES!

I like the water, but the sky looks off to me. Also the trees on the far shore are blocked up.

Oct 26, 2017 at 04:55 PM
engardeknave
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Please help me cure a bad case of the BLUES!

ben egbert wrote:
I like the water, but the sky looks off to me. Also the trees on the far shore are blocked up.

It's rare to take an image where all areas just happen to look great out of camera in perfect balance and harmony with each other. If you really want a certain look, mask those areas and edit them separately.

Edit: Not sure what you're looking to accomplish, but I gave it a quick edit.

Oct 26, 2017 at 04:59 PM
uintaangler
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Please help me cure a bad case of the BLUES!

Here is a good example of a completely unedited image that shows what I mean by the BLUE WATER I am getting straight out of the camera.
I think this is a very unappealing color and I have not been able to figure out how to "fix it" without ending up with an unnatural looking overall image

Ugly Blue Water

Oct 26, 2017 at 06:09 PM
DaleBerlin
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Please help me cure a bad case of the BLUES!

And you have gone through all your camera settings to see if something didn't get changed accidentally?

Oct 26, 2017 at 06:53 PM
uintaangler
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Please help me cure a bad case of the BLUES!

DaleBerlin wrote:
And you have gone through all your camera settings to see if something didn't get changed accidentally?

I always shoot with the ISO set to AUTO

Oct 26, 2017 at 06:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

engardeknave
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Please help me cure a bad case of the BLUES!

uintaangler wrote:
Here is a good example of a completely unedited image that shows what I mean by the BLUE WATER I am getting straight out of the camera.
I think this is a very unappealing color and I have not been able to figure out how to "fix it" without ending up with an unnatural looking overall image

It's literally the exact same color without being underexposed. Also there is more contrast on the water in the original photo due to the sun being lower in the sky.

Oct 26, 2017 at 07:20 PM
uintaangler
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Please help me cure a bad case of the BLUES!

engardeknave wrote:
It's literally the exact same color without being underexposed. Also there is more contrast on the water in the original photo due to the sun being lower in the sky.

What I am saying is I don't like the color, and can't figure out a way to make the water look better in a way that doesn't screw up the entire image or result in unnatural looking water.
If I made a print with water that color it would look terrible

Oct 26, 2017 at 07:44 PM
engardeknave
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Please help me cure a bad case of the BLUES!

uintaangler wrote:
What I am saying is I don't like the color, and can't figure out a way to make the water look better in a way that doesn't screw up the entire image or result in unnatural looking water.
If I made a print with water that color it would look terrible

This is the opposite of how Homer described the sea as "wine dark" back when there was no concept of blue. You're saying it's an ugly color, when your actual problem appears to be that the sea is too dark. The solution would be to shoot it at a different time of day, or in less hard light. Failing that, you may have to find a different ocean.

Oct 26, 2017 at 08:14 PM
DaleBerlin
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Please help me cure a bad case of the BLUES!

I assume you shoot RAW, but if not you may want to check camera settings like "Picture Styles", "Auto Lighting Optimizer", "White Balance"? Especially WB, there are settings for various light sources. If you shoot RAW, it doesn't matter.

Oct 26, 2017 at 08:18 PM
uintaangler
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Please help me cure a bad case of the BLUES!

DaleBerlin wrote:
I assume you shoot RAW, but if not you may want to check camera settings like "Picture Styles", "Auto Lighting Optimizer", "White Balance"? Especially WB, there are settings for various light sources. If you shoot RAW, it doesn't matter.

I do shoot RAW and yet I can't seem to find a slider that gets me a more pleasing color while still looking "natural"

Oct 26, 2017 at 08:29 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Please help me cure a bad case of the BLUES!

Is your monitor calibrated? The last one you posted looks pretty good to me for an unprocessed image. The things I notice right off are that it lacks contrast and may be a taste dark for a mid day shot, but I have no issues with the colors.

Can you elaborate on what it is about the water that puts you off? It seems like a sort of royal blue.

Oct 26, 2017 at 09:40 PM
OregonSun
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Please help me cure a bad case of the BLUES!

The color of the water in these shots looks accurate to me given the lighting conditions. It will be tricky to change it drastically without making it look unnatural. If you don't like this shade of blue and are striving for a 'natural' look try shooting under different lighting, especially clouds. Or try monochrome .

Heron

Edited on Oct 27, 2017 at 04:08 PM · View previous versions

Oct 27, 2017 at 04:33 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Please help me cure a bad case of the BLUES!

Don't have time for the explanation, but is this more in line with what you are looking for?

Oct 27, 2017 at 11:37 AM
Camperjim
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Please help me cure a bad case of the BLUES!

Strangely I find blues give me the most issue when photographing mountains in the shade. The camera records blue and purple colors that do not seem realistic. I use the eyedropper to select the offending color, then I desaturate and darken that color.

Oct 27, 2017 at 12:15 PM
uintaangler
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Please help me cure a bad case of the BLUES!

RustyBug wrote:
Don't have time for the explanation, but is this more in line with what you are looking for?

Thank you RustyBug.

If you don't mind answering an important question for me - do you think the color of the water in your quick fix image is acceptable ( enhances or at least does not detract from the overall image )?
Because I can get that result, have done it many times and just can't decide if the "desaturation" gives a lifeless look to a large part of the image

Oct 27, 2017 at 05:51 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password