Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Please Link A7Riii Hands-On Reviews Here.

chez
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Please Link A7Riii Hands-On Reviews Here.

DarthRiller wrote:
Post-ship, (in-progress) hands-on from Imaging Resource:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2017/11/09/sony-a7r-iii-first-shots

Seems like both the A7R2 and D850 apply more noise reduction at the higher ISO resulting in detail smearing compared to the A7R3.

Nov 09, 2017 at 10:35 PM
pasblues
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Please Link A7Riii Hands-On Reviews Here.

Mystik wrote:
Sony reps area touring with the a7riii, so if you happen to have an event with Sony reps nearby you can try the cam out. I got to spend some time with it on Friday. What stands out most about the camera is how much faster everything is. Startup Times, focus acquisition times...everything happens with the immediacy of the a9...and the lighting of the venue I was at is not the best. Eye AF does not glue itself to the eyes as well, but it does re-acquire focus on the eye quickly when it does lose it.

Other than that and
...Show more

Okay, THANK YOU. I felt it was sluggish also. Nice files but sluggish. I think it still has a lot of good application, just not speed.

Nov 09, 2017 at 11:14 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Please Link A7Riii Hands-On Reviews Here.

I just sold my A9 and a member rented me one of his A7rII so at least i have a real camera on hand. Just got it today set it up and holy cow what a turtle compared to the A9. Honestly, I could never go back to shooting this . Now i know why i sold it. Just imagine this hit the playback on a A9 itís instant. Now go hit the playback on your A7rII. Yea you can touch your toes before it comes up. Lol

Iím so ready for the A7r3 but it better beat a Porsche

Nov 09, 2017 at 11:23 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Please Link A7Riii Hands-On Reviews Here.

Btw I lost total faith in Imaging Resources after that horrible test with the eyes. Moving on

If I ever post a test like that you have the right to hate me and tell me you do

Nov 09, 2017 at 11:25 PM
Justin Stone
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Please Link A7Riii Hands-On Reviews Here.

ďConfident I should be okĒ

Sure sound confident with that ďshouldĒ :-)

GMPhotography wrote:
Yea this is where the difference in AF speed will show up between the two cams. Itís going to be about tracking and sticking like glue on subject. My biggest concern selling the A9 but this is a decent example of it. At least at first blush. Have to see what final productions can do. Iím confident I should be okay. Iím not shooting sports or wild life anyway. Now grandkids are a different story. 😂

Nov 10, 2017 at 12:08 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Please Link A7Riii Hands-On Reviews Here.

Optimist. 😂

Nov 10, 2017 at 12:11 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Please Link A7Riii Hands-On Reviews Here.

Brian Smith. One reviewer. I actually like.

https://alphauniverse.com/stories/brian-smith-on-portrait-photography-with-the-a7r-iii/?rid=1&cid=eml-na-1269&CRMID=0&XID=E:88460:S1I1ALPHAUPORTRAITS

Nov 10, 2017 at 12:20 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Please Link A7Riii Hands-On Reviews Here.

GMPhotography wrote:
Brian Smith. One reviewer. I actually like.

https://alphauniverse.com/stories/brian-smith-on-portrait-photography-with-the-a7r-iii/?rid=1&cid=eml-na-1269&CRMID=0&XID=E:88460:S1I1ALPHAUPORTRAITS

Thanks, Guy.

As long as I don't have to endure that Matt Granger fellow (yeah, I guess we all have a reviewer or two that just ticks us off)!

Nov 10, 2017 at 10:20 AM
pdmphoto
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Please Link A7Riii Hands-On Reviews Here.

GMPhotography wrote:
Btw I lost total faith in Imaging Resources after that horrible test with the eyes. Moving on

If I ever post a test like that you have the right to hate me and tell me you do

^Agree. They are using out of camera jpgs, different lenses, and apparently older files (firmware) from the A7R2. Looking at the ISO 100 comparison of the R2 vs R3 I notice stair stepping (at high mag) on the edges of the tilted "E" on the bottle label with the R3, but smooth edges on the R2, so the R3 seems to be doing more (over) sharpening. I also notice the label is not exactly the same. There are differences in the handling marks and such. That leads me to believe the R2 pictures are from thier original review, taken with now ancient firmware. Sony has stated improved IQ in at least a couple of thier firmware upgrades, especially for jpg's.

Nov 10, 2017 at 10:35 AM
virtualrain
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Please Link A7Riii Hands-On Reviews Here.

Hereís a good review vs the RII on a Chinese site... with lots of good photos and a comparison of high ISO performance in RAW and JPEGs. The RAWs didnít show much improvement but the RIII JPEGs are cleaner at high ISO.

http://info.xitek.com/pzreview/xitektest/201711/06-234999.html

Translated..(copy and paste this link if clicking it doesnít work)
https://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Finfo.xitek.com%2Fpzreview%2Fxitektest%2F201711%2F06-234999.html

Summary...

advantage:

1. Focus performance has improved, eye control focus better recognition
2. Body control, grip better than the previous generation (AF-ON, dual card slot, joystick, etc.)
3. Mechanical shutter 10fps, practicality higher
4. Flip screen and viewfinder resolution higher, viewfinder delay lower
5. Battery life improved significantly, better than the previous A7 series
6. Support 120 / 100fps slow motion full HD video
7. Support five-axis body image stabilization, anti-shake performance better
8. The screen supports touch, the focus of choice more convenient
9. Supports type-c (USB3.1) and flash synchronization interface, scalability and more professional

Disadvantages :

1. The fuselage is too small, and the combination of telephoto lens, grip feel bad, increase the handle feel better
2. Only one card slot supports UHS-II

Nov 11, 2017 at 08:20 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Stoffer
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Please Link A7Riii Hands-On Reviews Here.

GMPhotography wrote:
I just sold my A9 and a member rented me one of his A7rII so at least i have a real camera on hand. Just got it today set it up and holy cow what a turtle compared to the A9. Honestly, I could never go back to shooting this . Now i know why i sold it. Just imagine this hit the playback on a A9 itís instant. Now go hit the playback on your A7rII. Yea you can touch your toes before it comes up. Lol

... speaking of Mr. Turtle (A7rII), I wonder how well the new A7rIII will handle Mrs. Turtle (FE 85mm GM) when it comes to AF speed!

Nov 11, 2017 at 10:05 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Please Link A7Riii Hands-On Reviews Here.

Oops, I guess the camera should be Mrs. and the lens Mr.

Nov 11, 2017 at 10:07 AM
dad3and3
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Please Link A7Riii Hands-On Reviews Here.

Watching the Eye Focus Video tests it looks like you don't have to hold down a button to have eye focus active like you do in the a7rII, is this correct? What's the chances of a firmware update incorporating that feature in the a7rII and maybe a6500 if it doesn't already have that?

Nov 12, 2017 at 01:59 AM
virtualrain
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Please Link A7Riii Hands-On Reviews Here.

dad3and3 wrote:
Watching the Eye Focus Video tests it looks like you don't have to hold down a button to have eye focus active like you do in the a7rII, is this correct? What's the chances of a firmware update incorporating that feature in the a7rII and maybe a6500 if it doesn't already have that?

Are you sure theyíre not pressing a button? Like the focus hold button on the lens barrel?

The help guide seems to indicate that Eye AF works just like before... with a separate button.

Nov 12, 2017 at 07:56 PM
LostBoyNZ

p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Please Link A7Riii Hands-On Reviews Here.

Gordon Laing mentioned you needed to hold a button down still, but that's great if you don't.

https://youtu.be/ybP3B4gHn4s?t=83

From that video, the eye tracking seemed a bit off during burst mode.

Nov 12, 2017 at 07:59 PM
flashbulb

p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Please Link A7Riii Hands-On Reviews Here.

Pixel Shift review at DP Review

Nov 12, 2017 at 09:41 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Please Link A7Riii Hands-On Reviews Here.

flashbulb wrote:
Pixel Shift review at DP Review

Very nice feature, good enough to over power the heavier contenders on static application.

Nov 13, 2017 at 06:24 AM
k-h.a.w
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Please Link A7Riii Hands-On Reviews Here.

GMPhotography wrote:

Guy, somebody is selling an A9 for $3.6K on your forum.
If I didn't already own one, I would be first in line

k-H.

Nov 13, 2017 at 11:19 AM
oddjobprime

p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Please Link A7Riii Hands-On Reviews Here.

If you're only interested in processing the RAW files you can increase your operating speed significantly by being in RAW+JPEG mode, setting image size to small (11Mp) and settling high ISO NR to OFF.

Removing NR will greatly decrease time for the image to be available for review, and image size will greatly decrease the time to zoom in and review.

I have done this on several occasions for events and it's like using a totally different camera. The JPEGs are still usable but then you need to apply NR in post.

GMPhotography wrote:

Nov 13, 2017 at 12:56 PM
kdrk888
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Please Link A7Riii Hands-On Reviews Here.

Just saw this review: https://www.cameralabs.com/sony-alpha-a7r-mark-iii-review/

His description of the 10FPS continuous shooting is quite interesting. Would like to see how it behaves in real life BIF shoots.

"When shooting at 10fps / H+ mode, thereís no blackout, but you are looking at the last picture taken so thereís very minor lag. Reduce the speed to 8fps / H mode though and you can enjoy live feedback with minor blackout introduced to indicate the cameraís firing bursts. "

Nov 14, 2017 at 12:26 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password