Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Please Link A7Riii Hands-On Reviews Here.

bwcolor
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Please Link A7Riii Hands-On Reviews Here.

Ordering is about to open up and it would be nice to have something other than specs, marketing and hope. If you see a hands on evaluation, please post here.

Oct 25, 2017 at 10:57 PM
Slalom
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Please Link A7Riii Hands-On Reviews Here.

Only a short test in NY:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/sony-a7r-iii/sony-a7r-iiiA.HTM
Plus Gallery including Raws
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/sony-a7r-iii/sony-a7r-iiiGALLERY.HTM

But the pixel shift range, "You can select intervals between the four shots of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 15 and 30 seconds.", setting will wind people up, might be pre production firmware though! I have seen similar things posted by what I assume to be Sony "insiders".

Edited on Nov 08, 2017 at 03:31 PM · View previous versions

Oct 31, 2017 at 09:55 AM
joakim
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Please Link A7Riii Hands-On Reviews Here.

There's a multitude of hands-on reviews on the net from people who have handled the camera on some Sony event, me personally I'm waiting for the real in-depth reviews that takes a more serious look at handling, image quality and so on.

I hope we see some of those reviews soon and that links to them gets posted here.

Oct 31, 2017 at 10:22 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Please Link A7Riii Hands-On Reviews Here.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/4302149407/sony-a7r-iii-dynamic-range-improved-nearly-matches-chart-topping-nikon-d850/1

A7R3 vs A9 Eyes-AF

A7Riii PDR and Eyes-AF look very good.

Edited on Nov 05, 2017 at 04:36 PM · View previous versions

Nov 05, 2017 at 04:07 PM
Mark K
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Please Link A7Riii Hands-On Reviews Here.

So there is AF improvement

Nov 05, 2017 at 04:20 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Please Link A7Riii Hands-On Reviews Here.

Mark K wrote:
So there is AF improvement

yes but I want to see more test in lower light

Nov 05, 2017 at 04:25 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Please Link A7Riii Hands-On Reviews Here.

Watch video one very carefully. Here you see the difference between 66 percent AF area of the A7rIII compared to the A9 93 percent area. You can see where the Eye AF goes away when the model gets to almost the third of the frame than face requisition kicks in. On the A9 the EYe AF goes almost all the way to the edge. There is a big difference here when that 66 percent ends. Here is where I think the biggest area of concern is from the A9. You have to watch it carefully to see this. Itís why the A9 cost what it does and you really need to know your limits when shooting.

Nov 05, 2017 at 04:51 PM
GabrielPhoto
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Please Link A7Riii Hands-On Reviews Here.

GMPhotography wrote:
Watch video one very carefully. Here you see the difference between 66 percent AF area of the A7rIII compared to the A9 93 percent area. You can see where the Eye AF goes away when the model gets to almost the third of the frame than face requisition kicks in. On the A9 the EYe AF goes almost all the way to the edge. There is a big difference here when that 66 percent ends. Here is where I think the biggest area of concern is from the A9. You have to watch it carefully to see this. Itís why
...Show more

Looks pretty impressive to me and for my Portraiture work and composition, seems like a great fit the coverage of the Eye AF .

Nov 05, 2017 at 04:58 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Please Link A7Riii Hands-On Reviews Here.

GMPhotography wrote:
Watch video one very carefully. Here you see the difference between 66 percent AF area of the A7rIII compared to the A9 93 percent area. You can see where the Eye AF goes away when the model gets to almost the third of the frame than face requisition kicks in. On the A9 the EYe AF goes almost all the way to the edge. There is a big difference here when that 66 percent ends. Here is where I think the biggest area of concern is from the A9. You have to watch it carefully to see this. Itís why
...Show more

+1. with faster A9 AF detection refreshing cycle, A9 Eyes-AF tracks like sticker on subject eyes compared to A7Riii. Imo, both are fine for slow movement in portrait application but A9 is a better camera for walking modelling shoot session for sure.

Nov 06, 2017 at 04:37 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Please Link A7Riii Hands-On Reviews Here.

mttran wrote:
+1. with faster A9 AF detection refreshing cycle, A9 Eyes-AF tracks like sticker on subject eyes compared to A7Riii. Imo, both are fine for slow movement in portrait application but A9 is a better camera for walking modelling shoot for sure.

Yea this is where the difference in AF speed will show up between the two cams. Itís going to be about tracking and sticking like glue on subject. My biggest concern selling the A9 but this is a decent example of it. At least at first blush. Have to see what final productions can do. Iím confident I should be okay. Iím not shooting sports or wild life anyway. Now grandkids are a different story. 😂

Nov 06, 2017 at 04:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Please Link A7Riii Hands-On Reviews Here.

GabrielPhoto wrote:
Looks pretty impressive to me and for my Portraiture work and composition, seems like a great fit the coverage of the Eye AF .

Yea I think headshots and model work you will stay in the AF zone of 66 percent pretty well. I just wanted to point this out as a buying decision for folks that may not understand these limits. No one is out there telling us about this. Itís all love and sugar. I look for the spice. Lol

Nov 06, 2017 at 04:48 PM
GabrielPhoto
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Please Link A7Riii Hands-On Reviews Here.

GMPhotography wrote:
Yea I think headshots and model work you will stay in the AF zone of 66 percent pretty well. I just wanted to point this out as a buying decision for folks that may not understand these limits. No one is out there telling us about this. Itís all love and sugar. I look for the spice. Lol

agree lol

Nov 06, 2017 at 05:19 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Please Link A7Riii Hands-On Reviews Here.

I would say A7Riii AF speed is about the same as A6300/A6500 AF and maybe bit smoother in Eye-AF/Face-AF and other object tracking since it has a new fine tunes in CDAF session. Which is a pretty impressive AF system to support a huge 42MP sensor.

Nov 06, 2017 at 05:26 PM
Mystik
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Please Link A7Riii Hands-On Reviews Here.

Sony reps area touring with the a7riii, so if you happen to have an event with Sony reps nearby you can try the cam out. I got to spend some time with it on Friday. What stands out most about the camera is how much faster everything is. Startup Times, focus acquisition times...everything happens with the immediacy of the a9...and the lighting of the venue I was at is not the best. Eye AF does not glue itself to the eyes as well, but it does re-acquire focus on the eye quickly when it does lose it.

Other than that and the ergonomic improvements, a lot it feels like the same ole a7rii. But for those of us who need the speed, it's a very nice upgrade. After selling the so, I shot a wedding with the a7rii and an A99II loaner from Sony. A7rii did a lot of the heavy lifting since I had only one a99II battery, and yeah that body is sluggish.

Nov 06, 2017 at 07:15 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Please Link A7Riii Hands-On Reviews Here.

Good to hear thanks for reporting in.

Nov 06, 2017 at 07:23 PM
davidnumrich

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Please Link A7Riii Hands-On Reviews Here.

What is the significance of the massive increase in contrast detect auto focus points on the A7R III? The A7R II has the same amount of phase detect auto focus points and same coverage, but what about contrast detect auto focus points being added helps improve it's auto focus speed and accuracy so much? Obviously there is a big processor upgrade, but I'm wondering if anyone can explain the significance of contrast detect auto focus in comparison to phase detect. Could this give the A7R III an advantage in certain situations over the A9, which has the same 25 contrast detect auto focus points as the A7R II?

Nov 07, 2017 at 05:40 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Please Link A7Riii Hands-On Reviews Here.

Basic 6xxxx series hybrid AF: https://www.rockynook.com/explained-sony-a6300-hybrid-autofocus/

Beside the H/W improvement, sony splits A7Rii 25 CDAF zones into 425 zones to enhance the contrast detection in smaller segment which helps A7Riii 4DAF to lock the CDAF correction phase quicker. Bottom line, it's easy for software to identify the contrast sensitivity between smaller zones than bigger zones. So it helps to lock face/eyes or desire object in this case faster.

Btw, there is a secret sauce or another level of higher order PDAF & CDAF soft arrays to handle the shooter AF configuration {such as Zone / Center / Flexible Spot (S/M/L) /Expanded Flexible Spot/ Lock-on AF (Wide / Zone / Center / Flexible Spot (S/M/L)/Expanded Flexible Spot)} that sony does not want to advertise. These embedded tasks are always in fine-tuned along with upgraded hardware.

Nov 07, 2017 at 04:08 PM
davidnumrich

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Please Link A7Riii Hands-On Reviews Here.

Thanks for the reply and link. If that's the case, as long as the subject is within the narrower focus area, shouldn't the A7R III be better at finding accurate focus than the A9? Assuming all else is equal. I'm not sure if the A7R III is able to do AF/AE at 60 times per second like the A9.

Nov 08, 2017 at 06:35 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Please Link A7Riii Hands-On Reviews Here.

Even A9 CDAF was not optimized like A7Riii, its faster hardware still overpower A7Riii AE/AF tremendously. We can see that by watching the above video # 1. I don't know how fast the A7Riii AE/AF can read the sensor but no way to be closed to 60 times per second, maybe 1/3 on the (+) sign of the champ which is good enough for most applications.

Nov 08, 2017 at 03:17 PM
DarthRiller

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Please Link A7Riii Hands-On Reviews Here.

Post-ship, (in-progress) hands-on from Imaging Resource:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2017/11/09/sony-a7r-iii-first-shots

Nov 09, 2017 at 10:12 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password