New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

circular polarizing filter in long lenses

nugeny
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · circular polarizing filter in long lenses

I just got a Nikon 200-400 f4. I am wondering if I should get a circular polarizing filter. I just wondering how often I would use it. Long lenses are normally not fast and this filter slow them down quite a bit and for wildlife we do need speed.
So that is the question for all of you who use long lenses. How often you use this filter?

Oct 25, 2017 at 10:51 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · circular polarizing filter in long lenses

I use one in my Canon 500/4L IS when I'm shooting situations with bright, reflecting surfaces; usually water. I used it quite a lot a few years ago, on a trip to and around coastal islands in Labrador. OTOH, I probably haven't used it since last year.

Oct 25, 2017 at 11:59 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · circular polarizing filter in long lenses

jcolwell wrote:
I use one in my Canon 500/4L IS when I'm shooting situations with bright, reflecting surfaces; usually water. I used it quite a lot a few years ago, on a trip to and around coastal islands in Labrador. OTOH, I probably haven't used it since last year.

right. When it is bright and by the water, it is great and usable. I used it a lot when I had the 400 f2.8.
Well with modern DSLRs that can shoot at very high ISO, one can use the filter more often.

Oct 26, 2017 at 12:17 AM
kosin
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · circular polarizing filter in long lenses

nugeny wrote:
right. When it is bright and by the water, it is great and usable. I used it a lot when I had the 400 f2.8.
Well with modern DSLRs that can shoot at very high ISO, one can use the filter more often.

Yes and no
Most of the polarizers lower your exposure by 2 stops and this also affects AF performance. So yes, you can bump up ISO to help with your exposure but there is no way of recovering the AF performance. Maybe you didn't see much difference with a f/2.8 lens but with the f/4 and above you might.

Oct 27, 2017 at 12:29 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Roland W
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · circular polarizing filter in long lenses

A circular polarizer can be very useful, and I never leave home without one available. Not all shots benefit, but many do. Besides reducing reflections off of water, there are more uses for a circular polarizer on a long lens. A polarizer can be very effective at cutting distant haze in many landscape scenes or in distant background behind wildlife subjects. It can help with closer in haze caused by smoke, like the residual haze left after some acts when they use smoke at airshows. A polarizer can also help increase color saturation for many types of green foliage, giving a lot more pop to those parts of a scene. Also, you can get a nice color saturation increase when you have some types of rocks in a scene like the red rock sandstone of the American Southwest. And as a final note, it forms a ND filter of about 2 stops for general use if you happen to need that.

The negative is of course as you mentioned the loss of about 2 stops of light, and remembering to actually adjust it for the shot in question. The little adjuster wheel on the drop in polarizers makes adjustment easy if you are tripod or gimbal mounted with the big lens, but it is hard to adjust them if you are hand holding. But once you have adjusted for a general direction and general scene of shooting, the setting can be left as is and you can shoot without worrying much about it.

Oct 27, 2017 at 12:45 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · circular polarizing filter in long lenses

Roland W wrote:
A circular polarizer can be very useful, and I never leave home without one available. Not all shots benefit, but many do. Besides reducing reflections off of water, there are more uses for a circular polarizer on a long lens. A polarizer can be very effective at cutting distant haze in many landscape scenes or in distant background behind wildlife subjects. It can help with closer in haze caused by smoke, like the residual haze left after some acts when they use smoke at airshows. A polarizer can also help increase color saturation for many types of green foliage,
...Show more

You are right. For years I have had this filter on every lens. I started to wonder because Nikon charges so much for this one filter and the Chinese haven't seen the money making it. Maybe because so few would buy it. Well, I swallow my "stinginess" and just spend $239.00 for this "tiny" filter.

Oct 28, 2017 at 02:50 AM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · circular polarizing filter in long lenses

I use it with green foliage and with water to cut reflections. With today's cameras shooting at a higher ISO setting is not a concern so I don't compromise my shooting by avoiding the use of a polarizing filter. It does however impact autofocus performance, in particular when coupled with use of a teleconverter so I do not use it all the time.

Nov 04, 2017 at 06:34 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password