New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Should I switch from Canon 7D Mark II to Fuji X-T2

tmoseley1

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Should I switch from Canon 7D Mark II to Fuji X-T2

I'm considering changing cameras from the 7D Mark II to the X-T2. I've enjoyed the Canon experience, but the gear is very heavy. I've read that the X-T2 is a solid platform and that the Fujinor lenses are nice quality. The Fuji gear is a bit lighter weight, and probably more manual control.

Have any of you made this switch, or to another Fuji body? What's it like? What tradeoffs will I be having to make?

Thanks!

Tom

Oct 25, 2017 at 10:23 PM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Should I switch from Canon 7D Mark II to Fuji X-T2

I loved switching from my DSLR. It was a Sony A Mount, but going mirrorless was one of the best things I could do. I can bring my XT2 with me whereever I want, and it doesn't stand out as a big body. You know what is the best? I can use an actual neckstrap over my neck.

What are the uses you are looking for? Action? General usage? Wildlife? BIF? Sports? Kids? Portraiture. The only one that isn't a great option is for BIF. There just aren't the lenses for it yet. A solid set of 200, 300, and 400mm primes in f/4 or f/2.8 would remedy the situation. The 200/2 is coming, but I don't see that coming in under $5000. If it does, it will definitely turn some heads. And with the 1.4x t/c, it would be excellent. The 2x may even be quite good as well. But I have yet to see a (by anyone) 2x t/c that doesn't degrade IQ and isn't better stopped down a bit. And then you are at 400/4.5 or f/5.6.

Oct 25, 2017 at 11:37 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Should I switch from Canon 7D Mark II to Fuji X-T2

tmoseley1 wrote:
I'm considering changing cameras from the 7D Mark II to the X-T2. I've enjoyed the Canon experience, but the gear is very heavy. I've read that the X-T2 is a solid platform and that the Fujinor lenses are nice quality. The Fuji gear is a bit lighter weight, and probably more manual control.

Have any of you made this switch, or to another Fuji body? What's it like? What tradeoffs will I be having to make?

Thanks!

Tom

I did not switch but for the past five-plus years I have augmented my Canon system with a Fujifilm system. In my photography the larger full frame system has significant advantages for some types of photography (for example, my tripod-based landscape work and my bird photography) while the Fujifilm system has advantages for other work (including travel and street photography, and some other work where small and light gear is advantageous and 24MP produces good enough image quality).

In my experience you can expect to notice some of the following:

- in most cases the overall size and weight of your gear will decrease, though not so much if you use the better Fujifilm zoom lenses such as the 16-55 and the 50-140mm.

- However, do check out the weight and bulk of the actual gear you will use. Some of the Fujifilm lenses are pretty big, and it is possible that you may end up with a package that isn't all that much smaller and lighter.

- Fujifilm lenses are excellent and they give up nothing to Canon in terms of image quality. There are fewer options in some areas, so check first to see if you can find what you need from Fujifilm.

- Both systems use cropped sensor formats, a 1.6x sensor on the Canon and a slightly larger 1.5x sensor on the Fujifilm. The Canon is 20MP and the current Fujifilm cameras are 24MP. That is "better," but the actual difference is quite small.The Canon uses the "traditional" Beyer sensor array — arrangement of red, green, and blue sensitive photo sites. The Fujifilm uses its proprietary "x-trans" array, which purports to make the effects of aliasing less. In actual practice, with the Fujifilm sensor is marginally "better" on a few counts, you aren't really going to notice any difference.

- Current models, especially with the newest lenses, now AF relatively faster than they used to, and the AF system is generally good, and more than sufficient for many kinds of photography. However, DSLR systems still hold the lead for fast AF, and if your work includes subjects that test the limits of the Canon AF system you may find that the Fujifilm occasionally falls short.

- In regular photography – for example handheld shooting when you look through the viewfinder — you will notice that you get much less life out of a battery on the Fujifilm in most cases. You are more likely to need to carry extra batteries.

- The Fujifilm cameras provide more direct "knob and dial" controls over camera settings. To me this seems to be faster and easier in many situations. The Canon requires you to go to menus or use general purpose control inputs in many more cases.

Dan

Oct 26, 2017 at 02:11 AM
tmoseley1

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Should I switch from Canon 7D Mark II to Fuji X-T2

Thanks for the great responses.this This makes things a bit easier.

Oct 26, 2017 at 03:06 AM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Should I switch from Canon 7D Mark II to Fuji X-T2

I agree with Dan. If you are intent on mirrorless the Fuji is a superb system. But do a comparison with your favorite lenses on the 7D II and the XT2 equivalents in terms of size/weight and feel.

This is finally sensible thread comparing camera bodies with like sized sensors.

Oct 26, 2017 at 07:47 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Should I switch from Canon 7D Mark II to Fuji X-T2

Tom,

Dan provided an excellent summation of the differences between the two systems.

I encourage you to do what I did, which was rent the X-T2 and live with it for a week. I also rented the X-Pro2 and the X-E2s to compare.

I have a Canon 5D2 which has served me well, but it is older technology and has some shortcomings, especially with AF. I've lugged it to Europe twice recently and between the weight of the kit at 20 pounds and the bulk, I began looking for an alternative travel camera. A couple of months ago I found out I could join my wife on a business trip to London and Paris and my search began in earnest.

Extensive research (including a flirtation with the Leica M10!) led me to settle on the Fuji system. I decided it was worth the expense of renting before making the plunge, especially since there was a chance I would completely change platforms.

I rented the X-T2 and the X-Pro2 for a beach vacation. I also took along the 5D2 for comparison. I loved both Fujis. They did a great job capturing general travel/vacation images as well as photos of four of my very active grandchildren. Low light performance was better than I was led to expect. I also rented the 16mm, 23mm and the kit lens. All are excellent, especially the amazing (but big) 16mm.

I did find that while somewhat smaller, the X-T2 was not significantly smaller than my 5D2 without the grip. Weight was not that much different either. This made me wonder about the net gains I would achieve as a travel camera. This led to further research and a rental of the X-E2s.

The X-E2s had most of the features I loved about the bigger Fuji bodies in just the right size for travel. Fuji then announced the release of the X-E3 and based on my experience, I pre-ordered it the day of release. It arrived just before our London/Paris trip.

I've just returned with about 50 gig worth of images I took with the X-E3. I fell in love with the camera on the trip. It performed superbly and the capture quality is excellent.

Here are some points to consider:
EVF vs OVF - I thought this would be more of an issue, but I've grown to love using the EVF. It is plenty big for me on the X-E3 and is huge and gorgeous on the X-T2.

Mirror flop/blackout - This is a distinct advantage in mirrorless.

Camera noise - Another big plus for mirrorless. It's almost as quiet as my Leica M3.

Film simulations - Fuji is famous for this and the simulations are terrific, especially Acros B&W. Be sure to choose the appropriate R/G/Y filter, it can make a big difference.

RAW vs JPEG - I've always been a RAW shooter, making adjustments in post. This has made me a little lazy, sometimes I get in the ballpark with exposure and fix in post later. The Fuji JPEGS has me rethinking my approach. For the moment I'm still shooting RAW + JPEG, but the SOOC images are so good I'll only resort to RAW in special circumstances. This has caused a change in shooting, with more attention paid at capture. However, between the EVF and the convenient exposure compensation dial, it's very easy to refine exposure.

AF - I love being able to set the AF with the joystick. I also love the ability to define the size of the focus area, from single point to a larger group.

Post processing - If converting RAW files is in your workflow, especially if you use Lightroom as your asset manager like I do, you need to keep this in mind. The bottom line is that LR is slow and does not do a great job (even Adobe admits this) with Fuji X files. Right now my standalone version of LR won't even process X-E3 files. I've started to look for other software and so far Iridient does the best at conversion. This will require an adjustment in my workflow. I'll have to select just the RAW files I want to use, then run them through Iridient to create a DNG that I can then import into LR to adjust and take up to PS for more work as needed.

Alt lens bonus/manual focus - This is a big plus for me. I've bought a converter and now can use my Leica lenses on the X-E3. The results are great. I also bought the Samyang 12mm for the trip. It's a manual focus lens. The focus peaking feature, in conjunction with the ability to press a button to zoom in/out easily, makes manual focus very easy.

Two Canon lenses are holding me back from doing a complete system swap. They are the 135L and the 70-200 f2.8. Fuji offers alternatives to both, although the bokeh of the 90 f2 wide open won't be quite the same as the 135L f2. I also dream of getting the 200mm f2 L, but Fuji will be releasing their own 200mm f2 soon!

Oct 26, 2017 at 02:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Should I switch from Canon 7D Mark II to Fuji X-T2

dmacmillan wrote:
Camera noise - Another big plus for mirrorless. It's almost as quiet as my Leica M3.

When I use the fully electronic shutter option on my XPro2 the camera is absolutely silent when I make a photograph. Not just quiet — silent.

I use this now for photographing at sound-sensitive events such as concerts.

Oct 26, 2017 at 04:11 PM
hauxon
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Should I switch from Canon 7D Mark II to Fuji X-T2

1. Optical viewfinder -> Electrical. Takes time to get used to but X-T2 is much larger.
2. Weight and bulk. Lenses and body are smaller. Some are much smaller and some are not much smaller.
2. If you're into birds the 7D2 will work better for BIF. X-T2 probably equally good or better for most other stuff.
3. X-T2 will give you files with much cleaner shadows and better high ISO performance.
4. If you know your Canon camera well the manual controls on Fuji won't be a problem.
5. LR problems with Xtrans is mostly bullshit or over inflated. I've never had a problem with a file I've sold or printed. But as with all files you can destroy it in post (to prove a point).
6. You will need more batteries.

Oct 26, 2017 at 04:32 PM
doowop42
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Should I switch from Canon 7D Mark II to Fuji X-T2

I have been that route and found the X-T2 a very comfortable camera to handle along with a great selection of lenses. It is much smaller and lighter and very easy to use.

Oct 26, 2017 at 05:09 PM
tmoseley1

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Should I switch from Canon 7D Mark II to Fuji X-T2

All,

Thank you so much for the feedback. Based on this, with a lot of thought put into the cautions of RobDickinson, I've decided to proceed with the move from Canon to Fuji. I've sold one lens already, and put the camera and rest of my Canon kit on sale. My new X-T2 (graphite) will be here Monday.

Again, thank you so much.

Tom

Oct 29, 2017 at 12:47 AM
dmcharg
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Should I switch from Canon 7D Mark II to Fuji X-T2

Hi Tom,
I switched over from Canon a few years ago mainly due to the size and weight. At the time i was using Canon 7D and various zooms and primes but the size/weight just became too much and all too often i found myself leaving the camera at home hence decided to sell/change.

I now use xpro 2 23/35/50 f2 + 55-200 and its a really wonderful setup. If your switching from a DSLR and really want to have a smaller system then i would highly recommend you consider the smaller f2 primes. I feel that these smaller primes really capture the essence of the Fuji system and don't give up much compared to the faster versions. I initially purchased the 23 1.4 but ended up selling and moving to the 23 f2. In practice i have found f2 to be more than fast enough for my needs and smaller form factor of these lens is worth the trade off.

In moving to the fuji system i have avoided any of the larger lens as i feel that just takes me back down the same road of a DSLR so i personally would recommend avoiding the larger lens such as the 16-55, 50-140, 100-400 unless you really must, its not about zoom vs prime in terms of IQ/aperture, its quite simply the size these lens. I recall when i first took the 35 f2 out of the box and compared to the Canon 24-70, i had to laugh. If you want the flexibility of zooms, don't forget the 18-55/55-200, again both excellent lens and as good as any L series lens i have used and considerably smaller. It really depends what focal lengths you need. I used to have the Canon 100-400 but when i moved to the fuji system i felt the 55-200 was more appropriate given its much smaller size.

In terms of overall image quality of the Fuji system i have no complaints. For me i love that i can grab the pro 2 + 1 really small prime if i want to keep things really simple or if i want i can take one or two primes + 55-200 if i want a little telephoto and some more flexibility. Even if i carry all of the lens its considerably smaller/lighter than the canon system i had. Overall i much prefer the dial controls on the fuji bodies and the AF joystick is just brilliant. Every system has it pros and cons and the only limitation i have found since moving is ME. So my advice, think carefully about what lens you really need, choose wisely and don't forget why your moving to the fuji system

Oct 29, 2017 at 07:54 AM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password