Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

New Website - help?

ahaug
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New Website - help?

I just did a major update to my site. I was hoping for any helpful observations on how to improve what I have to work with.

valandandy.com

Thanks in advance

Oct 25, 2017 at 08:18 PM
InSanE
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New Website - help?

use ssl its a serp factor

Oct 25, 2017 at 08:58 PM
J.Andrew

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New Website - help?

I like it. I like that the font is a tad larger and its easy to navigate. Simple and effective. Images are good and plenty of variety. (others may say too many, but I don't think so) The only gripe I have is the FAQ section. I am a big believer of never bringing up negatives. For example. What if I am sick? Hey I understand that may be a logical question, but don't bring it up and plant the seed for them worrying about it. As a funny example, I one time had that I dress in a full tuxedo unless the client asks me otherwise. I was told to dress in costume for a renaissance wedding. Really? I am sure they would have never told me that, but I brought it to the forefront of their mind on my website so they thought it was ok to discuss that option with me. The moral is that you direct the relevant questions and answers that benefit them and try to avoid anything that may get them thinking above what they already want to know. Thats the trick.

-Jay

Oct 25, 2017 at 09:15 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New Website - help?

Mobile version is crap. Sorry, canít give any feedback. Canít even see a logo, or an option for viewing desktop version.

Oct 25, 2017 at 10:54 PM
ahaug
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New Website - help?

InSane: what is ssl?

Jay: thanks for that, I'll be making changes on the FAQ

Amonline: could I ask what phone you where using?

Thanks

Oct 25, 2017 at 11:08 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New Website - help?

iPad Pro. iOS 11.0.3. 12.9". Shouldnít matter though.

Oct 25, 2017 at 11:59 PM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New Website - help?

To me the site fails badly in really connecting with the potential client or setting you apart from 100 other sites I have seen.

There is also a BIG fail in the site. It fails to answer the most basic question of all....
"Why should I book you over your competitor?".
If you can't spell that out for your potential clients, don't expect them to be able to figure it out for themselves!

Prices are basically irrelevant. They are just numbers to play you off against the other guy. I suggest not putting pricing at all other than " Coverages from $XXXX."
Telling them the prices and packages eliminates a lot of reason to talk or make contact to you where you can in them over with your warm and caring personality and build a connection. It' gives them the power to shop you because to the clients, most shooters pics look pretty much the same .

They don't know what 20 album pages looks like and if you think "selection and colour correction of all photos" is a feature that's going to endear you to potential clients, you are kidding yourself.

You need to paint the picture.... " Think about the pride you will feel sitting down with family and friends and reliving your day through beautiful hand edited pictures that capture every moment and wonderful emotion of your day. Think about how one day you will be sitting down with your children and showing them where your family all began" Sloppy, shit yeah but I came up with that in 10 seconds flat and it leaves what you have for dead. A marketing person could do a hell of a lot better than that still.

Sorry to be rude but your about us page from an advertising/ promo POV is embarrassing. It's clearly written by someone with no idea what to say so has written what they have seen on other sites written by other people that had no clue.
and honestly, While your Mrs looks cute and happy, you look like you are sitting on a thistle and trying to look comfortable and failing. Everything on your site should be a positive and endear yourself to the client that that picture does not. Get a better one.

There is ZERO rapport building factor with the client.
"Congratulations on your engagement! We'd love to talk to you about your wedding, so if you enjoy our photography, please give us a call."
Really? yeah, that's going to make me want to pick up the phone and make a time to come see you or send you my deposit.
That's crap and there is no other way to say it. You can and have to do better than that.

Your pictures are nice what I glanced over but I did only glance to make sure they weren't bad. being they are not they too become almost irrelevant because people buy the person, the product and the price in that order. You just give the viewer nothing to bond or feel a connection with you. The faq is useless. Blah blah, dry, boring uninteresting facts that do nothing to get me excited or give me the mindset that I already want you to do my wedding, I just have to go through the process to justify it.

And thik about that. How many times have YOU seen something and decided that's the one you want just from reading about it and then go on and justify it? Your site isn't within a bulls roar of that. It's dry, uninteresting, has no personality or feel and
will pull in jack all work for you because of that.

Don't say rubbish like " We love bush walking, snorkelling, Playing with our Kids and taking pictures" Who gives a damn? Do you know what your mechanic does on his spare time or the plumber that unblocks your shitter? Do you care or do you just want them to do a good job for which you hired them?
About us should be about " What we can do for you" and on this level your site sucks.

If you can't write it yourself, which is not a skill everyone has, get someone to do it. 1 Job will pay for it and there are a load of potential jobs going begging with whats there now. Do it properly because the difference between that and missing the mark completely is a difference of tens of thousands of dollars income for you and your family.

Not trying to berate you but I am being honest for your own good because blowing sunshine and rainbows up your nether regions is what is really being unkind and rude to you. You seem like the kind of guy and family that deserves better even if it is not delivered in the most subtle way.

Oct 26, 2017 at 12:45 AM
ahaug
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New Website - help?

Hey Glort,
I laughed, I cried, I laughed. Thanks so much. I think that you are very right about my site. I will be working on all the things that you mentioned. I guess that I was focusing more on the "favorites" and "Real Wedding" pages. I guess I need to really rework the other pages and give it a personality and a reason to use us.
Again, I laughed ... I laughed ... and my wife thanks you for the line about her looking cute and me sitting on a thistle.

Oct 26, 2017 at 03:06 AM
InSanE
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New Website - help?

InSane: what is ssl?

https://www.seo.com/blog/migrating-https-ssl-impacts-search-engine-rankings/

Oct 26, 2017 at 06:18 AM
ahaug
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New Website - help?

Thanks InSane!

Oct 26, 2017 at 02:52 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Zerga
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New Website - help?

glort wrote:
"they don't know what 20page album look like" ? welcome to 2017.. maybe in Australia they don't and if they have no idea what a 20page wedding book is maybe you don't want them as your clients lol

To me the site fails badly in really connecting with the potential client or setting you apart from 100 other sites I have seen.

There is also a BIG fail in the site. It fails to answer the most basic question of all....
"Why should I book you over your competitor?".
If you can't spell that out for your potential clients, don't expect them
...Show more

Nov 10, 2017 at 06:10 AM
Zerga
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New Website - help?

I like it, nice and clean, easy to navigate.. the only thing I would do is remove a few images from that front page to make it stronger..

Nov 10, 2017 at 06:12 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New Website - help?

Still no header on mobile. Honestly, just disable the mobile version, if possible. It sucks.

Nov 10, 2017 at 03:48 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New Website - help?

A visual thing. I'm not a fan of keystoning galleries images without a small white space between. Attempts to break up the visual confetti of all sorts of different images with different color palettes, different emotions, different composition goals. Sometimes the shock and awe just overwhelms and doesn't help your presentation. A little white space image buffer goest a long way.

Nov 10, 2017 at 04:37 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · New Website - help?

Yea, I haven't said it, but I'm not a fan of masonry layouts. It's too much stimulus to the viewer, and they can miss some of your greatest works in such a wall.

Personally, I think you should look for a much more professional presentation/theme. None of your fonts even match in style. Also, one that works properly. I get the feeling this one was a freebie or turnkey hosted service.

Nov 10, 2017 at 04:54 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · New Website - help?

Well, you've got to go out of your way to make a SquareSpace site look bad. Their out of box designs are very tasteful.

Nov 10, 2017 at 05:23 PM
mitch91175
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · New Website - help?

I am by no means a expert in web development. You have some great pictures on your site, but that is all I can say really. What do you think about providing a little more information for potential couples looking to book you for their weddings? Create a more emotional attachment to the potential client. I get you guys wanting to showcase you best work, but having that many images on your front page can be distracting if you ask me.

I would image that the SEO for the site isn't that great, just guessing (not a lot of content for crawlers, just a lot of images). If you want to keep the site clean, maybe add a blog with your wedding collections. Also for additional content and streamline the front page some. It's like you have your galleries all on the front page. I understand you wanting to grab someone attention by showing your work upfront, but there is also a lot of value in getting potential clients to click through your website more. Think about it this way, the longer someone is on your site, the more like they are to want to book you. If you haven't already, setup Google Analytics for the site and analyze the heck out of it. It will give you enough info to help you determine if the new design is working for you. Even better is you already had it for the previous design to compare.

Don't recall reading if your SSL questions was answered, but SSL provides a secure connection to your website. I know that Google is now ranking site a little higher if they have an SSL certificate.

Definitely don't freak out and completely scrap what you are already doing. Just making adjustment here and there and you will get the site where you will like it and hopefully your client as well.

Nov 14, 2017 at 02:05 AM
ahaug
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · New Website - help?

I'm currently working on a fix. I hired a writer to help. I'll post again when its updated.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Nov 14, 2017 at 02:50 AM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · New Website - help?

ahaug wrote:
I'm currently working on a fix. I hired a writer to help.

You know I think that was THE smartest and most important thing you could have done.
I know I'm the black sheep opinion but as up myself as it sounds, I also KNOW you will look back and say" Glad I did that".

The majority of comments here as on any question like this are always about either getting people to the site or making it look pretty but rarely are about selling the services and motivating the client to book. Shooters think that pretty pictures is all it takes but there are 1000+ well researched books, studies and legendary copywriters going back to the 30's that would prove that to be not the case.

It's just pointless busting a gut to get people to your site with seo, sm or whatever and having it look pretty if it does not speak to them, build rapport and motivate them to email, ring or whatever with a view to booking. In fact, it is completely counter productive to get someone to your site till that is in place because otherwise they may find you, look, be unmotivated and then have someone say, " Have you seen XYZ?" Yeah saw them, nice pictures but .......

This is a tough business and as such, tried and proven business principals and methods are going to make far more difference in our game that has become nothing more than an over supplied commodity. Every shooter reckons they are better and different which is an irony in itself but even if that were true, History is Chock full of example of the better product failing to lesser competitors because of poor marketing and promotion.

Beta Video tape anyone?
Oops! Probably showing my age there and 90% of people wouldn't even know what that was about.

Well done mate. Look forward to seeing how the site turns out.
then again, may be best not to go showing it around too much because you just know what all these other creative and original competitors are going to do! :0)

Nov 14, 2017 at 10:15 AM
InSanE
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · New Website - help?

Its not so black and white, same old shit doesnt work anymore.

Nov 14, 2017 at 10:25 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password