Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Location of personal actions PS CC 17 Mac?

la puffin
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Location of personal actions PS CC 17 Mac?

I did something stupid, I updated to PS CC18 from 17 and deleted 17.

I thought all of my settings and personal actions would roll over - they didn't.

I have a backup mirror of my install from Carbon Copy. However, I can't seem to locate my actions that I created in PS. Does anyone know where these are stored or what the file names are?

Thanks

Oct 25, 2017 at 07:59 PM
la puffin
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Location of personal actions PS CC 17 Mac?

I'm on OS 10.12. Googling around but locations have changed from previous OSs.

Oct 25, 2017 at 08:14 PM
cambyses
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Location of personal actions PS CC 17 Mac?

I am not behind my mac, but they might be here:
/Users/[user name]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop CC 2017/Presets/Actions
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1504767

Oct 25, 2017 at 08:40 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Location of personal actions PS CC 17 Mac?

Try /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop CC 2017/Presets/Actions...

... at least for customized actions you created and saved.

Oct 25, 2017 at 09:10 PM
la puffin
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Location of personal actions PS CC 17 Mac?

gdanmitchell wrote:
Try /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop CC 2017/Presets/Actions...

It's blank - nothing in there.

I ended up calling Adobe, and they couldn't retrieve them.

It's weird because I have two user profiles on my MBP, one general and the other my pro workflow. Everything came into PS CC 2018 except for my actions on the pro work profile (and my plug ins, but I copied them from what was left from the 17 install). Of course, that's the only one that matters. Everything else is there, even ACR presets.

My guess is that I hadn't ever saved the actions. They were there when I started PS, so I thought everything was good. Apparently not. The other thing is that I updated PS under my general profile. I suspect if I had done it under my work profile, the actions would've come through.

I didn't keep CC 17 because I didn't want to take up the hard drive space. That was not smart.

Oct 25, 2017 at 10:38 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Location of personal actions PS CC 17 Mac?

You could try searching "actions" if you haven't already...

Oct 25, 2017 at 11:14 PM
melcat
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Location of personal actions PS CC 17 Mac?

The file you are looking for is ~/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop 2017 Settings/Actions Palette.psp

and you need to copy it across to the folder with the similar name but with "2018" instead of "2017".

This should still be on your system drive because the installer doesn't delete preferences when it deletes the old version (I still have all the old preferences folders from previous versions.)

I don't know why it didn't get copied during your upgrade - my actions came across fine.

The ~/Library/Application Support/Photoshop CC 2018/Presets/Actions folder that others have mentioned is also empty on my system. As far as I can figure out this is just a default place you could save the actions toI periodically save mine to a folder with my photo stuff, not there, so this folder is empty for me.

(And regarding Dan's answer: /Library and ~/Library are two different folders. On Unix systems the "/" means "at the root of the file hierarchy", in other words a system folder only installers and administrators get to write into. The "~/" is a notation for "from my personal root", on macOS usually "/Users/alice" for user "alice". "/" corresponds to starting from "Macintosh HD" (or whatever your boot drive was called) in the Finder, and "~/" starting from "alice". I think you need to OPTION-ciick to get into ~/Library, but I've always used the command line.)

Oct 26, 2017 at 01:16 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

la puffin
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Location of personal actions PS CC 17 Mac?

melcat wrote:
The file you are looking for is ~/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop 2017 Settings/Actions Palette.psp

and you need to copy it across to the folder with the similar name but with "2018" instead of "2017".

This should still be on your system drive because the installer doesn't delete preferences when it deletes the old version (I still have all the old preferences folders from previous versions.)

I did the scary thing and let the guy from Adobe have control of my desktop. He did that. He saved a copy of the Actions Palette.psp from 2018 to the desktop and then copied the one from 2017 into the folder. But now that I think of it, it looked the same as the 2018 default palette with the Commands and Productions actions (included with the install but not loaded automatically) I had loaded right after installing 2018. If anything, those shouldn't have shown up.

By the way, I'm finding 2018 to be a little different under the hood. I used to run 2017 in low res mode, but that has different results in 2018, so now I'm back to normal. I think it has different flags in its jpg export because images look terrible in Safari, and they didn't before. My management is obviously off. That could just be me and the way I have my things set up, so don't take that as verbatim.

Thanks a lot for all of your help.

Oct 26, 2017 at 08:09 AM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Location of personal actions PS CC 17 Mac?

gdanmitchell wrote:

I would think they would be there, too, but the folder is empty. Pretty odd. I think I'll export my action pallets from CC2017 before I tell CC to update. I searched my Mac for all folders titled Actions and could not find my custom actions anywhere. What the hell is going on with Adobe these days?

update: Thanks, melcat, for your in -depth explanation. I found and backed up that file. Now time to update PSCC and see what may go wrong!

Oct 26, 2017 at 04:57 PM
la puffin
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Location of personal actions PS CC 17 Mac?

I think we'll see 18.0.1 pretty soon. I can tell that the Adobe guy was surprised by some of the things that happened with the update.

Oct 26, 2017 at 06:16 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Location of personal actions PS CC 17 Mac?

WARNING TO ALL: Sure enough, and fortunately after I backed up my actions, when I updated to the latest Photoshop CC, my personal actions were all gone, even though I checked the box asking if I wanted to transfer all my settings. What happened to quality control at Adobe? This is their flagship product.

Oct 27, 2017 at 03:39 PM
la puffin
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Location of personal actions PS CC 17 Mac?

Jeffrey wrote:
WARNING TO ALL: Sure enough, and fortunately after I backed up my actions, when I updated to the latest Photoshop CC, my personal actions were all gone, even though I checked the box asking if I wanted to transfer all my settings. What happened to quality control at Adobe? This is their flagship product.

But the actions you saved to that unique folder were still there, correct? Or did the update seek out any ~.atn and delete those regardless of location?

Oct 27, 2017 at 03:55 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Location of personal actions PS CC 17 Mac?

la puffin,

Sort of. I was going to manually move them when I discovered they were no longer in CC 2017! WTF??!! But when I opened CC 2018 there they were. Weird logic, but I have them again. This shit is confusing and Adobe is thoroughly confused themselves.

Oct 27, 2017 at 06:00 PM
la puffin
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Location of personal actions PS CC 17 Mac?

A quick follow up.

I let Adobe support run my desktop while I was on the phone with him. When he deleted the 2018 Palette and tried to drop in the palette.psp from my leftover 2017 folder, PS 2018 must have been running. That's a total newbie mistake. I was freaking out and thought I saw it running, but didn't say anything because, after all, he was an Adobe support tech. What do I know?

When I moved the 2017 palette to 2018, there were my actions.

Thanks a lot to melcat for the path that made this easy.

Nov 10, 2017 at 09:13 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password