FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2017 · Facebook Ads for Wedding Photography

sungphoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Facebook Ads for Wedding Photography

ZachOly wrote:
You can make an absolute killing in photography with just a FB page, some basic sales and social media techniques and a $1000 ad budget per year. It's been this way since at least 2010 and it's not showing any sign of slowing down.

At least half of the photographers in my city are in their early 20s with no active website. It's all Facebook. They don't shoot photojournalism. They don't shoot for the "story of the day". They shoot stuff that makes their clients look attractive and translates well on social media.

It's not clear what you're trying to make a point on here. Are you saying that you can make a living taking glamour shots of people for social media? Or that you can spend a thousand dollars a year in ad budget to drive enough photography revenue to make a living? Or none of the above?

If you're saying a thousand dollars in ad budget is enough to drive your primary revenue stream, the math doesn't work out. Let's say you wanted to aim for an average sale of $250 per session (which is about all you're going to make as a 20 something photographer with no website doing glamour shots for social media), and let's say you magically were able to drive a 50 cent cost per click with that $1000 ad budget. That gets you 2000 clicks. You'll book maybe 5% of those. That gets you up to maybe $25k in yearly revenue, before taxes, before expenses, gear, etc etc.

Unfortunately that 50 cent cost per click for a highly competitive segment like photography is impossible unless you're perhaps in the middle of nowhere, in which case your supply of clients is going to be close to non-existent. Try more like $5 a click to start

I know plenty of photographers that pretty much just shoot for social media, a lot of them with a massive social media following, and they all either still work day jobs, live with their parents, and/or barely make rent on their shared cruddy apartment that they share with 4 other people.

Yes social media has made it a lot easier to get discovered by potential clients (I book a fair amount of work through people finding me through yelp), but I disagree that it's as easy as just spending a thousand bucks on ad budget and some simple sales tactics as a general statement.

Edited on Oct 29, 2017 at 06:30 PM · View previous versions

Oct 29, 2017 at 06:09 PM
TheyCallMeJ
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Facebook Ads for Wedding Photography

Care to define what "make an absolute killing" means?

# of bookings per year?
Average sales per booking?
Gross revenue per year?

ZachOly wrote:
You can make an absolute killing in photography with just a FB page, some basic sales and social media techniques and a $1000 ad budget per year. It's been this way since at least 2010 and it's not showing any sign of slowing down.

At least half of the photographers in my city are in their early 20s with no active website. It's all Facebook. They don't shoot photojournalism. They don't shoot for the "story of the day". They shoot stuff that makes their clients look attractive and translates well on social media.

Oct 29, 2017 at 06:17 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Facebook Ads for Wedding Photography

TheyCallMeJ wrote:
Care to define what "make an absolute killing" means?

No matter what numbers I put out there, "someone" on here is come back with several paragraphs about how back in their day they were pulling bigger numbers from print sales alone.

I'm not saying Facebook alone is the best method for success. I'm saying there's a lot of shooters in my market that are Facebook only and can support themselves/family with their photography income.

Oct 29, 2017 at 06:46 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Facebook Ads for Wedding Photography

ZachOly wrote:
I'm not saying Facebook alone is the best method for success. I'm saying there's a lot of shooters in my market that are Facebook only and can support themselves/family with their photography income.

That's nothing like what you said/ implicated before.....

My questions still stands, If "making a killing" or supporting ones family through photography is as easy as a FB page and $1000 investment in ads, why are YOU not doing it yourself?

I think most people would agree, there is a hell of a difference between your claim of " Making a Killing" and supporting ones family.

Stupid and predictable childish attempts at avoiding the question of why you aren't ding it yourself if it's that easy won't work. You have made 2 claims now, tell us how it's going for YOU.

Oct 29, 2017 at 07:11 PM
JacobsLadder

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Facebook Ads for Wedding Photography

ZachOly wrote:
I know you're just a troll account and I shouldn't even respond, but my local market is filled with FB only shooters.

No Insta, no website. We don't have wedding coordinators, so none of that, either. They use FB to drive all their business with gushy posts, like-bait images, and client tagging (B&G, bridal party, family, guests, etc.).

Wow, look at all the troll accounts that have chimed in after me saying exactly the same thing! Shocking! And also shocking to see you back pedal (sarcasm since your back pedaling was inevitable after making such a ridiculous statement). It's pretty weak calling anyone that doesn't agree with you a troll.

Oct 29, 2017 at 07:53 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Facebook Ads for Wedding Photography

JacobsLadder wrote:
It's pretty weak calling anyone that doesn't agree with you a troll.

You could mentally see the smoke coming off the tyre the backpeddling was so hard and fast!

I'm surprised the old kindergarten level Chestnut of " Lets see your website or images" wasn't rolled out. Maybe someone pointed out the hypocrisy in that when the person making the demand doesn't list their own site.

Like the troll comment, it's pretty foolish to keep on attacking someone and trying to point score when every time you have done it in the past, you have had your arse handed to you on a platter because you don't have a clue what you are talking about but still come back to prove you are clueless.

I am sure everyone here would love to be able to spend 1000 bux a year on FB ( or any single advertising Medium!) and " Make a killing" or even a full time living in Photography but from the many posts I have read on dozens of discussions, not just here, that's just not going to happen and is ignorant and laughable in the extreme to even suggest it.

Photography is an over competitive, over saturated commodity in the market. For anyone in any business like that, it's nothing short of ludicrous to think one could pull in enough clients through something like FB alone. I don't use it and never have but it's pretty clear from the many discussions here, even if it were possible once, it's certainly not now and has not been for a considerable time.

Oct 29, 2017 at 10:54 PM
JHerr
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Facebook Ads for Wedding Photography

The fact that we have another Troll on this forum who's only goal is to "hand everyone else their ass on a platter" shows how bad this forum is getting.

Still waiting to see those images though.

Oct 29, 2017 at 11:03 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Facebook Ads for Wedding Photography

JHerr wrote:
The fact that we have another Troll on this forum who's only goal is to "hand everyone else their ass on a platter" shows how bad this forum is getting.

Still waiting to see those images though.

I'll give you a definition of a troll and a pathetic hypocrite rolled into one......

It's when you see someone having a go at you yet again out of the blue and for no reason and think " This guy only ever seems to come here to have a sook and bitch about something I say". You have a quick look back through their posting history and find your impression was far more accurate than you even thought.

I see that 8 ( maybe 9) of said sooks last 10 posts here are having a whinge about what I have said and are direct personal attacks. With the one or 2 possible exceptions, They have contributed nothing else in 10 posts over the last 8 Months than vitriol and malicious drivel.

If you want to know what a troll is JHerr, just take a look in the mirror and and your posting history and ask yourself what is the only thing YOU come here for!

When said troll comes back and then accuses the person they are stalking of being the very thing they define and prove to be in their own behaviour, the hypocrisy would be comical if it were not so deplorable and cowardly.

I think the forum is great but some of the hypocrites on it and how they make bigger imbeciles of themselves than anyone else ever could... Well, rather than be offended in any way, you can't help but shake your head , have a laugh and feel sorry for them.

Oct 30, 2017 at 05:18 AM
eke2k6
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Facebook Ads for Wedding Photography

The best form of marketing is simply to do a good job. I have one past bride who’s referred me to 5 others. A wedding planner I worked with once has booked me 4 weddings for next year. How much did I spend? Not a cent.

Social media is critical though. Unlike a website, it is much more easily updated and can be a place where referrals are sent to see current work. Plus Instagram allows others to tag you, making it easy for potential clients to be sent your way.

Just yesterday, a senior of mine posted a session that we did. From there I’ve already have 3 more wanting to book sessions next week.

Social media is not everything, but don’t going on epic monologues about its worthlessness is simply stupid. . It’s funny how the most vocal people have literally no portfolio to back up their wild opinions.

Oct 30, 2017 at 07:07 AM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Facebook Ads for Wedding Photography

eke2k6 wrote:
The best form of marketing is simply to do a good job. I have one past bride who’s referred me to 5 others. A wedding planner I worked with once has booked me 4 weddings for next year. How much did I spend? Not a cent.

Social media is critical though. Unlike a website, it is much more easily updated and can be a place where referrals are sent to see current work. Plus Instagram allows others to tag you, making it easy for potential clients to be sent your way.

Just yesterday, a senior of mine posted a session
...Show more

I don't think anyone here is saying that social media isn't a powerful medium for businesses. It's more of a question of paid advertising investment and its effect on your revenue - specifically whether it's possible to "make a killing spending $1000 a year on facebook ads". Coming from the advertising world (I worked in advertising for about 16 years, specifically in digital media) that statement doesn't hold water.

Oct 30, 2017 at 11:34 AM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Facebook Ads for Wedding Photography

JFC, you guys are really twisting the intention behind the two sentences I wrote.

I never said "$1000 in FB ads = Richie Rich"

Oct 30, 2017 at 12:06 PM
JacobsLadder

p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Facebook Ads for Wedding Photography

ZachOly wrote:
JFC, you guys are really twisting the intention behind the two sentences I wrote.

I never said "$1000 in FB ads = Richie Rich"

Dude just stop. You said "You can make an absolute killing in photography with just a FB page (and $1000 advertising budget)." Do you even know what "make a killing" means? Here's some other examples of how that term is typically used - "He made a killing in oil." "He made a killing in the stock market." Crazy amounts of money is the exact meaning and implication of that phrase. Your quads must be burning from all that back pedaling

Even if you didn't understand that's what the phrase meant, dial it back by half and it's still a wildly exaggerated claim.

Oct 30, 2017 at 12:35 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Facebook Ads for Wedding Photography

JacobsLadder wrote:
Dude just stop. You said "You can make an absolute killing in photography with just a FB page (and $1000 advertising budget)." Do you even know what "make a killing" means? Here's some other examples of how that term is typically used - "He made a killing in oil." "He made a killing in the stock market." Crazy amounts of money is the exact meaning and implication of that phrase. Your quads must be burning from all that back pedaling

Even if you didn't understand that's what the phrase meant, dial it back by half and it's still a wildly
...Show more

You still can't even get the quote right, Troll. So here, let me help you:

You can make an absolute killing in photography with just a FB page, some basic sales and social media techniques and a $1000 ad budget per year.

So in addition to a budget for ad buys, you need:

- An active FB page (I assume this eliminates a few of you right off that bat)
- Some basic social media sales techniques that you can find in a $20 book by Gary Vee. Some of this will cover tagging clients and vendors, writing descriptive posts, engaging with your audience in the comments, asking questions, posting "likeable" content, etc.

Oct 30, 2017 at 12:54 PM
JHerr
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Facebook Ads for Wedding Photography

JacobsLadder wrote:

Even if you didn't understand that's what the phrase meant, dial it back by half and it's still a wildly
...Show more

Are you seriously arguing the definition of an idiom by trying to establish a quantitative limiter on when it can and can't be used?

It means to have great financial success quickly which is can be relative to their age and experience. It doesn't mean that you have to be an oil baron to use the term.

As for glort accusing others of trolling - telling people how wrong they are and how right you are is the only reason you come here. I don't post here anymore because of you - because not even blocking you works because you still come into threads and rile up other people and ruin discussions because you have to contradict EVERYTHING, even if it means contradicting yourself.

Oct 30, 2017 at 01:03 PM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Facebook Ads for Wedding Photography

JHerr wrote:
Are you seriously arguing the definition of an idiom by trying to establish a quantitative limiter on when it can and can't be used?

It means to have great financial success quickly which is can be relative to their age and experience. It doesn't mean that you have to be an oil baron to use the term.

As for glort accusing others of trolling - telling people how wrong they are and how right you are is the only reason you come here. I don't post here anymore because of you - because not even blocking you works because you still come
...Show more

I think the valid criticism here though is directed at this claim that only a yearly ad budget of $1000, no actual website, and "simple social media sales" techniques can even make you even marginally successful as a photographer. It doesn't add up. Furthermore claiming that half of the photographers in your area do this and are making a killing, with nothing to really back that up, makes the claim even less believable.

Oct 30, 2017 at 01:16 PM
JacobsLadder

p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Facebook Ads for Wedding Photography

JHerr wrote:

As for glort accusing others of trolling - telling people how wrong they are and how right you are is the only reason you come here. I don't post here anymore because of you - because not even blocking you works because you still come
...Show more

So I need to explain it further for you? One's choice of words - especially in the context of FM - are chosen to communicate thoughts, to educate and to make points. I think pretty much every rational person here agrees that no one is "making an absolute killing" using only Facebook, no matter what definition one chooses to use. Throwing around ridiculous claims like that is pretty irresponsible considering newbs come here looking for info and business advice.

Oct 30, 2017 at 01:19 PM
JacobsLadder

p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Facebook Ads for Wedding Photography

ZachOly wrote:
You still can't even get the quote right, Troll. So here, let me help you:

So in addition to a budget for ad buys, you need:

- An active FB page (I assume this eliminates a few of you right off that bat)
- Some basic social media sales techniques that you can find in a $20 book by Gary Vee. Some of this will cover tagging clients and vendors, writing descriptive posts, engaging with your audience in the comments, asking questions, posting "likeable" content, etc.

You've still said nothing to support your ridiculous claim. Seriously, you've lost all credibility here.

Oct 30, 2017 at 01:24 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Facebook Ads for Wedding Photography

sungphoto wrote:
I think the valid criticism here though is directed at this claim that only a yearly ad budget of $1000, no actual website, and "simple social media sales" techniques can even make you even marginally successful as a photographer. It doesn't add up. Furthermore claiming that half of the photographers in your area do this and are making a killing, with nothing to really back that up, makes the claim even less believable.

---------------------------------------------

JacobsLadder wrote:
You've still said nothing to support your ridiculous claim. Seriously, you've lost all credibility here.

Imagine caring this much about a stranger's local market lmao

Oct 30, 2017 at 02:07 PM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Facebook Ads for Wedding Photography

ZachOly wrote:
---------------------------------------------

Imagine caring this much about a stranger's local market lmao

Can you clarify though how you turn $1000 yearly ad budget into a livable income in perhaps a hypothetical market then? I still don't see how the math works out

And what do you define as "making a killing" then if we are misconstruing what you intended on meaning with that?

Oct 30, 2017 at 03:08 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Facebook Ads for Wedding Photography

JacobsLadder wrote:
You've still said nothing to support your ridiculous claim.

Key factor is a claim has been made that equates at very least to making a full time living from photography.
Far as I am aware zach is only part time which begs the question why he does not follow his own claims of how to be successful especially when it is so straightforward according to his own words.
I'm sure we'll get an excuse as to why he's avoided that question Multiple times now.

Dude just stop.
Seriously, you've lost all credibility here.

I have been saying the same thing. It's not funny any more. I'm sure you are probably a decent guy but you just keep getting into these discussions on marketing and business and proving beyond a shadow of a doubt you are completely out of your league in this area. I have said it before, now others are saying it.
It's not funny. I'm sure you know loads more than I do about different things in the game but Marketing and business is not two of them.

Your statement was clear and simple and there is no misunderstanding by the multiple people whom have questioned you on it.
Just accept you made an error and got carried away in what you said and let it go.
Trying to make up far fetched excuses to defend what you said and deny you were wrong is making you look a lot more foolish than the original flawed claim.

Your retorts are childish and you never make any valid or thought provoking points when defending yourself on any discussion. I say this not to put shit on you but rather to try and help you avoid discrediting yourself any further. Online scrapping is not something you do well which is probably a sign you are more intelligent than I am.

Lets stop the carry on and try to put forward some useful info we can all learn and benefit from.
I promise to try my best to do that as well because this is getting stupid. How about I refrain from commenting on SM if you stop trying to prove you know more than me about marketing and business?

Oct 30, 2017 at 04:44 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.