FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Facebook Ads for Wedding Photography

Aram H

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Facebook Ads for Wedding Photography

Did anyone tried to advertise on Facebook for wedding photography business? Was it successful if you did?

Oct 25, 2017 at 04:27 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Facebook Ads for Wedding Photography

No idea about 2017, but in 2011 I targeted a few areas I wanted to shoot more often in. Had 3 campaigns and spent about $1000 total for a year. Got what I wanted.

Oct 25, 2017 at 04:29 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Facebook Ads for Wedding Photography

I spent about $50 in 2015, $100 in 2016 and $0 in 2017

Viewership of my ads/boosts was pathetic compared to what I was getting by default. I'd boost a post and get 10,000 viewers, maybe a few hundred came from the paid ad and the rest were organic. Paying to increase your reach by 1-3% wasn't worth it to me.

Oct 25, 2017 at 04:52 PM
level1photog
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Facebook Ads for Wedding Photography

I booked a couple weddings via Facebook in the previous year that make it worth while. The engagement for business page isn't as good as in the previous year.

I now focus more energy on my personal pages. I get more interactions then business page. It seems FB is restricting the reach so you have to pay for the boost.

Oct 25, 2017 at 05:04 PM
level1photog
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Facebook Ads for Wedding Photography

Coincidentally, this just got published today

https://www.diyphotography.net/can-no-longer-rely-facebook-marketing-photography-business/

Oct 25, 2017 at 07:37 PM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Facebook Ads for Wedding Photography

The quicker people stop thinking they can solely rely on FB to bring them in their work and the faster they make a proper marketing plan and institute it, the better off they will be.

That said, It' seem FB is intent on eliminating it's entire small business client base and making itself a medium that only big business can afford.

I don't know what FB even is any more. As little as I use it, I am either bombarded with totally irrelevant ads for products or services I'd never or have never used in my whole life or I'm unfollowing friends that are constantly putting up endless cute or injured animal pics or other crap that gets completely over the top. The other oversaturation is garbage relating to American Politics which obviously is pointless to me or some other idiot leftard that needs a smack in the face with a shovel having a whinge about something perfectly normal but wants it banned.

The only thing FB is any good for now is turning a reasonable and intelligent persons brain to mush with all the crap it's filled with.

Oct 25, 2017 at 11:22 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Facebook Ads for Wedding Photography

Pretty much the state of FB in 2017

Oct 26, 2017 at 06:34 PM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Facebook Ads for Wedding Photography

^^^^ Pretty much Sums it up!

So what are all those " Likes" that everyone busted a gut to get worth to a business now? Pretty much as I predicted for years.
Jack Ship!

Oct 26, 2017 at 11:28 PM
JacobsLadder

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Facebook Ads for Wedding Photography

As Benjamin Franklin is famously quoted - "in this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and Glort's rants about social media

Oct 27, 2017 at 11:58 PM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Facebook Ads for Wedding Photography

JacobsLadder wrote:
As Benjamin Franklin is famously quoted - "in this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and Glort's rants about social media

You forgot about rants of photographers lack of business skills!

Oct 28, 2017 at 10:25 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JacobsLadder

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Facebook Ads for Wedding Photography

glort wrote:
You forgot about rants of photographers lack of business skills!

True! But for the vast majority of photographers the two are closely intertwined, wouldn't you agree? Although I believe it's the rare, shrewd photographer that is able to deftly utilize social media as ONE of the pieces of their overall marketing/networking strategy.

Oct 28, 2017 at 12:45 PM
arthurb
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Facebook Ads for Wedding Photography

I tried Facebook advertising here in the UK a couple of years ago with no real success. However, somebody based in Spain and selling fake Raybans hi-jacked my account and set up an advertising campaign on my account with a 99,000 (about $150,000 at the time) limit on it. Luckily I was checking my sales hits daily and noticed they had suddenly gone from a handful to many thousand in a couple of days. There was quite a big spend on the account before I managed to stop it. I did get the money back but it was a poor experience and put me off Facebook advertising for good.

Oct 28, 2017 at 02:04 PM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Facebook Ads for Wedding Photography

JacobsLadder wrote:
Although I believe it's the rare, shrewd photographer that is able to deftly utilize social media as ONE of the pieces of their overall marketing/networking strategy.

And therein Lies the problem.... It is rare to use SM as ONE of the overall parts of the marketing mix. The great majority these days have it as the ONLY marketing they do at all and that is where it becomes a detriment. To make matters worse ( for themselves) they then try to defend their mistake but still refuse to educate themselves on how to do things right.

It seems FB has all but fallen over as an advertising medium for the little guy and people are moving to other platforms but I see no reason why they won't go the same way. I call it the drug pusher method. Get people hooked and reliant then push up the price.
When that happens as it inevitably will due to all these mediums being owned by big companies with shareholders they have to generate returns for, I wonder what will happen to these people and their business that have put 100% reliance on SM when they don't know any other way to market themselves?

Either they will have to go back to the marketing everyone did before SM or perish. I'll guarantee for many it will be the latter given their staunch defence of SM and refusal to learn how to do anything else.

There's your rant to prove the point!

Oct 28, 2017 at 11:30 PM
JacobsLadder

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Facebook Ads for Wedding Photography

glort wrote:
And therein Lies the problem.... It is rare to use SM as ONE of the overall parts of the marketing mix. The great majority these days have it as the ONLY marketing they do at all and that is where it becomes a detriment. To make matters worse ( for themselves) they then try to defend their mistake but still refuse to educate themselves on how to do things right.

It seems FB has all but fallen over as an advertising medium for the little guy and people are moving to other platforms but I see no reason why they
...Show more

You're correct about the majority, without a doubt. But it's also correct that nearly every single successful photographer working today uses social media in some varying degree to promote and/or connect. There are exceptions of course (like you, I assume haha!). But I do find it shocking and humorous when people complain about not getting the engagement or reach they expect or deserve on SM, or that they might have to pay to play...most naively think that SM is there to serve them, and not the other way around!

Oct 29, 2017 at 01:07 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Facebook Ads for Wedding Photography

glort wrote:
The great majority these days have it as the ONLY marketing they do at all and that is where it becomes a detriment. To make matters worse ( for themselves) they then try to defend their mistake but still refuse to educate themselves on how to do things right.

You can make an absolute killing in photography with just a FB page, some basic sales and social media techniques and a $1000 ad budget per year. It's been this way since at least 2010 and it's not showing any sign of slowing down.

At least half of the photographers in my city are in their early 20s with no active website. It's all Facebook. They don't shoot photojournalism. They don't shoot for the "story of the day". They shoot stuff that makes their clients look attractive and translates well on social media.

Oct 29, 2017 at 02:13 PM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Facebook Ads for Wedding Photography

ZachOly wrote:
You can make an absolute killing in photography with just a FB page, some basic sales and social media techniques and a $1000 ad budget per year.

That simple 'eh?

Why didn't someone say so before!
How's that " making an absolute killing" working out for You mate?
You must be making a fortune and living the high life being a full time shooter and having it all worked out.

Have to say though, Kinda flys in the face of what you have said in other posts or is this another attempt at humour i'm missing because it isn't actually funny?

Oct 29, 2017 at 03:25 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Facebook Ads for Wedding Photography

glort wrote:
That simple 'eh?

Why didn't someone say so before!
How's that " making an absolute killing" working out for You mate?
You must be making a fortune and living the high life being a full time shooter and having it all worked out.

Have to say though, Kinda flys in the face of what you have said in other posts or is this another attempt at humour i'm missing because it isn't actually funny?

Burning a lot of oil lately?

Oct 29, 2017 at 03:56 PM
JacobsLadder

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Facebook Ads for Wedding Photography

ZachOly wrote:
You can make an absolute killing in photography with just a FB page, some basic sales and social media techniques and a $1000 ad budget per year. It's been this way since at least 2010 and it's not showing any sign of slowing down.

At least half of the photographers in my city are in their early 20s with no active website. It's all Facebook. They don't shoot photojournalism. They don't shoot for the "story of the day". They shoot stuff that makes their clients look attractive and translates well on social media.

I actually can't think of one successful photographer, let alone any individual who's photography is their sole source of income, who only utilizes Facebook like you claim. That's fake news.

Oct 29, 2017 at 07:19 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Facebook Ads for Wedding Photography

JacobsLadder wrote:
I actually can't think of one successful photographer, let alone any individual who's photography is their sole source of income, who only utilizes Facebook like you claim. That's fake news.

I know you're just a troll account and I shouldn't even respond, but my local market is filled with FB only shooters.

No Insta, no website. We don't have wedding coordinators, so none of that, either. They use FB to drive all their business with gushy posts, like-bait images, and client tagging (B&G, bridal party, family, guests, etc.).

Oct 29, 2017 at 08:29 PM
Giules

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Facebook Ads for Wedding Photography

FB organic reach has been on the decline since 2014 ish. This new explore feed severely affects people in those countries. Instagram is still somewhat okay, hopefully they don't mess with that too much.

Oct 29, 2017 at 11:09 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password