Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Olympus E-M1 MKII or GH5 for weddings???

pcrit
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Olympus E-M1 MKII or GH5 for weddings???

I am wondering if anybody is using this for weddings? I mainly second shoot but do some weddings on my own and looking for a lighter setup. I used to shoot a Nikon d3s and loved it but since buying my d500 I haven't used it all season of 25 weddings. I have tried m4/3 in the past but focus speed, noise, and low light just didn't cut it. I was thinking of selling my d3s and some lenses and get an Olympus with the 12-100 lens and get down to a simple, light setup to try. I really like the idea of the Panasonic controls and menu, had a GH3 and Gh4 briefly and liked them but never attempted for weddings. Any thoughts

I would still keep my d500, just want an alternative to try and see about eventually possibly replacing if it works out. The thought of a light setup with 2-3 lenses, a pair of ad200 flashes all in one light bag is too tempting!

On a side note I am very frustrated with my sigma art lenses which are hit or miss with my d500 and either tack sharp or so soft and missing focus. I am tired of dealing with fine tuning and mirrorless eliminates that. My hope is the Olympus solves that plus tired of carrying two huge bags of gear. I want to keep it light and simple but be able to shoot in low light with fast autofocus.

Edited on Oct 25, 2017 at 12:48 PM · View previous versions

Oct 25, 2017 at 07:13 AM
InSanE
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Olympus E-M1 MKII or GH5 for weddings???

d750 with 24 120

Oct 25, 2017 at 11:16 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Olympus E-M1 MKII or GH5 for weddings???

It'd be just fine for daytime outdoor weddings. Sure you could use it, but it is the wrong tool for the job. Second shooting, m43 files will exist next to the primary shooters files, so the shortcomings in ISO and DR may present challenges for the person editing, thus making it hard to get gigs second shooting.

You absolutely can shoot a wedding with the flagship m43 stuff, but there are certainly better tools for the job.

Oct 25, 2017 at 12:11 PM
pcrit
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Olympus E-M1 MKII or GH5 for weddings???

I had a D750 with the 24-120 and sold the D750, great camera but never fell in love with it like the D500 - much better ergonomics and faster focus but that's just my two cents and the D750 is an excellent camera.

Oct 25, 2017 at 12:46 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Olympus E-M1 MKII or GH5 for weddings???

We have a litter of GH4's and GH5's and I like traveling with them but it never once occurred to me to shoot one at a wedding.

Oct 25, 2017 at 02:28 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Olympus E-M1 MKII or GH5 for weddings???

A couple years ago I really truly wanted to find a m4/3 system that would work for weddings. So I bought a Olympus OMD-EM1 and a couple of prime lenses from Olympus. Absolutely loved the weight and the lenses that I bought (17mm f1.8 and 45 f1.8) and rented (12-40 and 40-150) were all really really good, loved them. But there were two main reasons why I did not completely change over from Nikon. Low light focus and at that time, no OCF system. Since then the OCF issue has been solved by multiple manufactures. I could have lived with the Hi-ISO capabilities and I didn't find them that objectionable.

I also rented a GH4 and a couple lenses and the same issues as the Olympus. Also I did find the menu system of the GH4 a little easier to deal with.

So I don't know how much better the EMD-OMII is with regards to low light focus I would recommend renting one and trying it for a while.

Me personally, shooting with two different systems is a major pain, I don't even like shooting with two different Nikon bodies. I much prefer shooting exact duplicate bodies so every button and every setting can be the same on both bodies so that I do not have to think about things like that when shooting. Additionally, I don't like mixing camera brand files in post, yuck.

Oct 25, 2017 at 02:38 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Olympus E-M1 MKII or GH5 for weddings???

m43 flash is an issue there's a distinct pause while it computes TTL

Oct 25, 2017 at 03:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

pcrit
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Olympus E-M1 MKII or GH5 for weddings???

I couldn't agree more and I have tried many m4/3 systems over the years and always ended up selling them or using only for personal use only. I have heard some great things about the gh5 and OMII which made me curious if anybody had hands on experience with either. The thought of switching systems or having two is not appealing at all but really frustrated with the inconsistency if the sigma art lenses with my D500 and looking for an alternative. When the Sigma works it's incredible but I need something reliable. I love the D500 but really want to get to any even smaller system and my D3s hasn't been touched in a year and I thought I would miss it but don't.

Oct 25, 2017 at 04:36 PM
SGallant
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Olympus E-M1 MKII or GH5 for weddings???

I have a GH5 for video, and love it very much. With that being said, if I put up a 2nd shooter job for wedding photography I would never hire you with a Gh4 or GH5. I would strongly consider this when purchasing if I were you.

Your issue is with your lenses not your body, not Nikon. I know quite a few people who went out and bought sigma lenses and ultimately sold them for the same reason you are complaining about. IMO replace your lenses not your system.

Oct 26, 2017 at 03:37 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Olympus E-M1 MKII or GH5 for weddings???

pcrit wrote:
The thought of switching systems or having two is not appealing at all but really frustrated with the inconsistency if the sigma art lenses with my D500 and looking for an alternative. When the Sigma works it's incredible but I need something reliable. I love the D500 but really want to get to any even smaller system and my D3s hasn't been touched in a year and I thought I would miss it but don't.

Have you tried the Nikon 'G' series lenses, 20, 24, 28, 25, 50, 85? They are inexpensive, light and very fast AF. I have serval and I am very satisfied. Are they legendary, no not by any standard. But your clients and most photographers will never see the difference.

Oct 26, 2017 at 07:52 PM
pcrit
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Olympus E-M1 MKII or GH5 for weddings???

Yes I have a few g lenses and they work well, excellent value for the money. I am using the sigma less and Nikon more to see if there is a difference. My season just ended so not shooting much now but will try and test soon.

Oct 27, 2017 at 12:30 AM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Olympus E-M1 MKII or GH5 for weddings???

The Olympus cameras with their 5-axis optical stabilization are great for shooting at very slow shutter speeds and the Olympus Pro f/2.8 constant aperture zoom lenses are first class. Shooting in very low light situations is made easy with their electronic viewfinders.

But at ISO 6400 the images exhibit a lot more noise than with the best full frame cameras from Nikon, Canon, and Sony. The image size is also too small for any cropping and still being able to produce a large print. I had the same issue with the Nikon D3 full frame camera with its 12MP sensor - OK unless I needed to crop. I would not want less than a 20MP full frame sensor equipped camera with a complement of f/2.8 zoom lenses.

At this point in time nothing beats the combination of the Nikon D850 with the Nikon D500 for wedding photography. Add the 14-24mm f/2.8, 24-70mm f/2.8, and 70-200mm f/2.8 and a couple of speedlights and you are in business.

Nov 04, 2017 at 06:25 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Olympus E-M1 MKII or GH5 for weddings???

This just in ...

h ttps://petapixel.com/2017/11/08/panasonic-lumix-g9-80mp-high-res-mode-6-5-stop-stabilization/

Nov 08, 2017 at 05:42 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password