Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              59      
60
       61              66       67       end
  

Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!
  
 
nekrosoft13
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.60 #1 · p.60 #1 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!


Lifeinpictures wrote:
Any idea if BHPhoto has enough stock to meet pre-orders?
I have 2 bodies on order. But I placed mine on the 9th?


highly doubt it, you don't buy high demand items from big stores like bh.



Nov 14, 2017 at 04:07 PM
nekrosoft13
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.60 #2 · p.60 #2 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!


snapsy wrote:
Base on past experience, B&H appears to have a favored relationship with Sony, so even with a large volume of preorders I could bet they have a greater chance of fulfilling their orders vs other vendors.


suppliers don't play favorites, BH might get few extra, but they are not going to send majority to BH and starve other stores.




Nov 14, 2017 at 04:10 PM
Lifeinpictures
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.60 #3 · p.60 #3 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!


Thanks, I was hoping to get it during Christmas.
I guess I have to wait and use my iPhone in the interim.
I sold my 2 A7r II and an a6500, so I donít have any cameras with me at this moment.



Nov 14, 2017 at 04:16 PM
Adam Au
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.60 #4 · p.60 #4 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!


I'm so confused by how the pre-orders work. BH and Adorama does not put a stop on the pre-orders if their initial allocation gets filled? So if I pre-ordered one today, I probably won't get one from the first batch?


Nov 14, 2017 at 04:16 PM
GMPhotography
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.60 #5 · p.60 #5 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!


Sony may give better deals for very large suppliers like B&H but they maybe make more money per camera from smaller shops. This is obviously unknown because itís something we simply do not know but this is typical practice among many companies to sell to there very big customers and give a little extra discount. But that does not mean they get more. They could also base it off of pre- orders so everyone gets maybe 60 percent stock of there amount. To me thatís the most fair way to distribute


Nov 14, 2017 at 04:18 PM
snapsy
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.60 #6 · p.60 #6 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!


nekrosoft13 wrote:
suppliers don't play favorites, BH might get few extra, but they are not going to send majority to BH and starve other stores.


My in-person conversation with Sony USA reps say otherwise. To give you an idea, go online and see how many presentations Sony USA reps have made at B&H (in-store and webcasts). Then see how many presentations were made at B&H's competitors like Adorama. Sony isn't going to "starve" their other vendors but they definitely give a significant preferential treatment to B&H.


Edited on Nov 14, 2017 at 04:32 PM · View previous versions



Nov 14, 2017 at 04:31 PM
dgpfotografia
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.60 #7 · p.60 #7 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!


virtualrain wrote:
Is the Europe availability date tomorrow?

Has anyone heard if the North America availability might improve? I find it odd that Sony is releasing this two weeks earlier in Europe if thatís really the case.


Hi,

Since I was not thinking into buying it, I didn't pay to much attention, but checking shops in Spain there are several taking preorders until tomorrow, not sure if that means that tomorrow or after tomorrow the camera ships, but if you preorder before tomorrow, you will get 5-year warranty (by law in Europe it is only 2-year warranty mandatory).

Regards,

David



Nov 14, 2017 at 04:31 PM
jamato8
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.60 #8 · p.60 #8 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!


GMPhotography wrote:
Sony may give better deals for very large suppliers like B&H but they maybe make more money per camera from smaller shops. This is obviously unknown because itís something we simply do not know but this is typical practice among many companies to sell to there very big customers and give a little extra discount. But that does not mean they get more. They could also base it off of pre- orders so everyone gets maybe 60 percent stock of there amount. To me thatís the most fair way to distribute


That is something they are not supposed to do. Back in the early 1970's Canon had a 100 price. Small stores obviously could not purchase that many and it is why stores like Henry's could sell cameras for less than small stores could buy them for. Some stores got together and there was a court case and Canon was found guilty. The practice ceased. I remember getting some cameras from a large retailer back east that wanted the price but wanted to sell off part of the 100. That was the one time we were able to get the camera that we could compete with for price to the customer. Not long after that is when the practice ceased.



Nov 14, 2017 at 04:39 PM
arbitrage
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.60 #9 · p.60 #9 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!


Adam Au wrote:
I'm so confused by how the pre-orders work. BH and Adorama does not put a stop on the pre-orders if their initial allocation gets filled? So if I pre-ordered one today, I probably won't get one from the first batch?


Yes, they just continue to take orders indefinitely. Just go over to the Nikon boards and read the long threads about the D850 orders. I think BH has made it through the 1st day (maybe now 2 days) of preorders now 2.5 months later. Others have ordered in the past 2 weeks from smaller stores and already have their cameras. I'd avoid those two retailers for high demand new items.



Nov 14, 2017 at 04:46 PM
PrecisionPhoto
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.60 #10 · p.60 #10 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!


I avoid retailers that have a restocking fee


Nov 14, 2017 at 05:11 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Alex W
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.60 #11 · p.60 #11 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!


I pre-ordered on the first day at B&H but in the evening that day. I talked to someone there regarding something else but asked if they thought my order would be filled on time with the first batch. She said she saw no problems and they had more ordered than they had pre-ordered at the time. That was about a week ago. However a retailer having them on order and receiving all they ordered at once are two different things. Hard enough waiting a month but if I do not receive mine in the first batch I may cancel and go to a smaller store or somewhere else. Especially if someone shows to have them in stock. I do not mind waiting a week or two beyond the release date if I must (yes I do). Never mind. Plus sold my a7rii already. Hate waiting. Never been good at it. Just hope Sony does better than the horror stories I have read about those that pre-ordered the D850.


Nov 14, 2017 at 05:48 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.60 #12 · p.60 #12 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!


PrecisionPhoto wrote:
I avoid retailers that have a restocking fee


True but very rarely there will be an issue with a new body.

Things to look for:

1) Mount to sensor parallelism (test with a lens you know is 100% centered on your other cameras)
2) Dead pixels on LCD. (One or two are normal though)
3) Dead on arrival. (It happened to me a few times)



Nov 14, 2017 at 05:55 PM
Adam Au
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.60 #13 · p.60 #13 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!


Fred Miranda wrote:
True but very rarely there will be an issue with a new body.

Things to look for:

1) Mount to sensor parallelism (test with a lens you know is 100% centered on your other cameras)



How do you test for this?



Nov 14, 2017 at 07:18 PM
elimoss
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.60 #14 · p.60 #14 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!


If you have a hot sensor pixel on a Sony, set the month of the camera in date setting ahead a couple months. Turn camera off. Wait a minute, turn camera on, reset month back to correct month, turn off. Wait a minute. Turn on again. This causes some routine pixel mappings to occur.



Nov 14, 2017 at 07:26 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.60 #15 · p.60 #15 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!


Adam Au wrote:
How do you test for this?


There isn't an easy test but if all of the sudden your lenses (good copies) start to show a noticeable tilt, that's the first sign.
Personally, I know my prime lenses and well-centered so it would be very easy to know if a new body is up to spec.



Nov 14, 2017 at 07:29 PM
Membler
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.60 #16 · p.60 #16 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!


I ordered mine the first day from B&H, (okay within the first minute it became available) and called today to ask about the free SD card. They said that I would have had to call them the day the free bonus SD card was announced to be included in the bonus card deal. I thought that was kind of crappy service. B&H has always provided great customer service to me and this is my third Sony camera I have bought from them. I'm disappointed.

Mike



Nov 14, 2017 at 07:30 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.60 #17 · p.60 #17 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!


elimoss wrote:
If you have a hot sensor pixel on a Sony, set the month of the camera in date setting ahead a couple months. Turn camera off. Wait a minute, turn camera on, reset month back to correct month, turn off. Wait a minute. Turn on again. This causes some routine pixel mappings to occur.


I was referring to 'dead' pixels though. These won't get fixed with re-mapping.
Once I received a brand new RX1RII with 6 dead pixels.



Nov 14, 2017 at 07:31 PM
nekrosoft13
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.60 #18 · p.60 #18 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!


snapsy wrote:
My in-person conversation with Sony USA reps say otherwise. To give you an idea, go online and see how many presentations Sony USA reps have made at B&H (in-store and webcasts). Then see how many presentations were made at B&H's competitors like Adorama. Sony isn't going to "starve" their other vendors but they definitely give a significant preferential treatment to B&H.


"rep" will tell you want you want to hear to make a sale

I know personally from distribution point of view, yes larger stores will get few more.

But we are talking about numbers like BH might get 100, Adorama, 100, Murphy, 70, Focus 70, Store B 50, Store C 50 etc...

BH will never get all 700+ that they filled up for pre-order on day one.

Whenever there is a huge release buying for the large store you will always always wait longer then anyone else, unless you place your order few minutes after they started taking the orders.

When Tamron 150-600 first came out, people were going crazy for that lens, me and a friend of mine we both made a mistake of placing the order from BH, 2 weeks later i got tired of waiting and started calling smaller stores, day later one of them called back that they got 2 of them in, so I bought one with free overnight shipping, and right of way cancelled the order from BH.
Friend of mine decided since I got mine, BH should be getting more any day now... they probably did, he got his lens a month later.




Nov 14, 2017 at 08:00 PM
nekrosoft13
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.60 #19 · p.60 #19 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!


Membler wrote:
I ordered mine the first day from B&H, (okay within the first minute it became available) and called today to ask about the free SD card. They said that I would have had to call them the day the free bonus SD card was announced to be included in the bonus card deal. I thought that was kind of crappy service. B&H has always provided great customer service to me and this is my third Sony camera I have bought from them. I'm disappointed.

Mike


did you hear about the strikes and all the lawsuits?



Nov 14, 2017 at 08:02 PM
nekrosoft13
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.60 #20 · p.60 #20 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!


Fred Miranda wrote:
True but very rarely there will be an issue with a new body.

Things to look for:

1) Mount to sensor parallelism (test with a lens you know is 100% centered on your other cameras)
2) Dead pixels on LCD. (One or two are normal though)
3) Dead on arrival. (It happened to me a few times)


when paying $3200, not even one dead pixel is acceptable on the LCD

If I bought a P&S for $100 sure whatever, but on a camera like this, I expect it to be perfect, no compromises.



Nov 14, 2017 at 08:04 PM
1       2       3              59      
60
       61              66       67       end






FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              59      
60
       61              66       67       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password