Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              55      
       57              65       66       end

Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

DavidBM
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.56 #1 · p.56 #1 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

DavidBM wrote:
The reports I read said that precision doesn't drop with continuous uncompressed shooting, but still does with continuous compressed. But I can't recall where I read that, sorry. So I'd better look...

@Fred Miranda and @GMphotography

From Imaging Resource:

"The A7R III offers 14-bit compressed and uncompressed RAW capture, in both mechanical shutter and electronic shutter/silent shooting modes. The camera does drop to 12-bit RAWs when shooting in continuous burst mode using the compressed RAW format or when Long Exposure NR is enabled. (Uncompressed RAW file format maintains the full 14-bit data depth.)"

Edited on Nov 09, 2017 at 02:02 AM · View previous versions

Nov 09, 2017 at 01:58 AM
k-h.a.w
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.56 #2 · p.56 #2 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

GMPhotography wrote:
Your making me nervous

Sorry! K-H.

Nov 09, 2017 at 01:59 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.56 #3 · p.56 #3 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

Lol

Nov 09, 2017 at 01:59 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.56 #4 · p.56 #4 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

Fred Miranda wrote:
But it was already reported that precision won't drop to 12 bit in continuous shooting with the A7RIII.

Richard Butler at DPR confirms what I quoted from IR

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4220179

So it does look like you only get 14bit bursts in Uncompressed format. Which of course does fill be buffer sooner. So there are trade offs still, though much improved.

Nov 09, 2017 at 02:48 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.56 #5 · p.56 #5 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

DavidBM wrote:
Richard Butler at DPR confirms what I quoted from IR

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4220179

So it does look like you only get 14bit bursts in Uncompressed format. Which of course does fill be buffer sooner. So there are trade offs still, though much improved.

Good stuff David.
There is always something with Sony ...you get 14-bit RAW but not with this setting or that mode, etc...We need to remember so many settings in order to get the best out of the camera.

The reason I don't use uncompressed for everything other than landscapes with the A7RII has nothing to do with file size. For me it's more about the slowdown of file writing and inadequate camera buffer. I'm hoping this won't be an issue with the A7RIII so I can set it to uncompressed and forget about it.

Nov 09, 2017 at 03:11 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.56 #6 · p.56 #6 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

k-h.a.w wrote:
Yup, 1/13 s vs 1/150 s should make a difference.

K-H.

That difference sets the cameras apart. I only use Silent shutter for still subjects. For anything that moves, mechanical shutter is the way to go with both A7RII and A7RIII bodies.

Nov 09, 2017 at 03:14 AM
umsl12
• •
p.56 #7 · p.56 #7 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

I pre-ordered at Bestbuy and then I cancelled right after I knew that they charge 15% re-stock fee if return. This sucks. Look like they try to come back the business of 1980s! I liked to pre-order and pick up at store but with 15% x $3200 = $480 if I have to return, then no thanks. I'm glad that I reviewed their return policy because I didn't know this before. This is totally new to me.

Nov 09, 2017 at 03:23 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.56 #8 · p.56 #8 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

Is silent shutter in the A7rII diffrent than electronic shutter in the A7rIII. Sounds like a silly question but electronic shoots 14 bit in the A7rIII.

Nov 09, 2017 at 03:36 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.56 #9 · p.56 #9 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

Fred Miranda wrote:
Good stuff David.
There is always something with Sony ...you get 14-bit RAW but not with this setting or that mode, etc...We need to remember so many settings in order to get the best out of the camera.

The reason I don't use uncompressed for everything other than landscapes with the A7RII has nothing to do with file size. For me it's more about the slowdown of file writing and inadequate camera buffer. I'm hoping this won't be an issue with the A7RIII so I can set it to uncompressed and forget about it.

Yes, I"m hoping so too. I think the buffer is 28 uncompressed RAW and 70 odd compressed. I think the buffer was about 10 uncompressed on A7rII so it's almost triple. I think I'll be OK even chasing the dogs, but the spray and pray crowd will likely strike the buffer.

Nov 09, 2017 at 03:53 AM
seurot

p.56 #10 · p.56 #10 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

FYI

You can use Greentoe for preorders of the a7Riii now. I wasn't expecting anyone to take pre-orders for less than list price yet, but I put in an offer it got accepted!

Nov 09, 2017 at 04:40 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

dgpfotografia
• •
p.56 #11 · p.56 #11 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

GMPhotography wrote:
Is silent shutter in the A7rII diffrent than electronic shutter in the A7rIII. Sounds like a silly question but electronic shoots 14 bit in the A7rIII.

Hi Guy,

This was commented in the early previews, with i few exceptions that I donít remember, the A7r III uses mainly 14bits in its workflow... like when using silent shutter...

Regards,

David

Nov 09, 2017 at 06:57 AM
Matt Grum
• • •
p.56 #12 · p.56 #12 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

virtualrain wrote:
Looking at this article on how Sony compressed RAW works...
https://www.dpreview.com/articles/2834066212/the-raw-and-the-cooked-pulling-apart-sony-raw-compression
It doesn't seem like any of the compression can be done without reading out all the data. So I don't understand how it can read-out faster in compressed mode than uncompressed.

Actually you don't need to readout the whole image to compress it, you don't even need to readout a whole line - compression is done separately on 16x1 pixel blocks. So it's possible to compress the image line by line as it's read out. I don't think they are actually doing this though...

GMPhotography wrote:
Seems kind of odd that compression has anything to do with it

David hits the nail on the head:

DavidBM wrote:
At high FPS and compressed raw it goes to 12 bit (Counterintuitively it seems that with uncompressed it now stays at 14 which is an improvement on A7rII)

Maybe the sensor can be scanned faster if you are only aiming for 12 bit? Not sure why; but I can't see any other explanation!

The sensor can indeed be scanned faster in 12-bit mode, as each extra bit means the ADCs need more time to convert the charge to a digital signal.

As to why it drops to 12-bit with compressed RAW and not uncompressed, this has to do with the way the compression works. The very first thing that happens is the value goes through a compander than has a maximum resolution of 13-bits in the extreme shadows decreasing to 9-bits in the highlights. So with uncompressed RAW you lose 2 bits of precision everywhere with a 12-bit ADC, but with compressed RAW you lose 1 bit in the extreme shadows and no bits anywhere else.

Effectively since you're losing a lot of data (not information) with compressed RAW anyway the effect of "losing" 2 bits during ADC is much less, so you might as well go for the increased readout speed which means shorter scan time for the electronic shutter.

Nov 09, 2017 at 10:09 AM
leetmode
• •
p.56 #13 · p.56 #13 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

Just got an update from B&H about my preorder!!!

Thanks B&H!!! *sheds tears*

Nov 10, 2017 at 01:21 PM
Alex W

p.56 #14 · p.56 #14 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

Got the same B&H notice this morning. I will "shed tears" if they send me that notice on Nov. 30th. lol. Sold my beloved a7rii this morning. Shared a lot of experiences and saw a lot of things together with that camera. It will be missed! Especially until I have the a7riii in hand.

Nov 10, 2017 at 02:49 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.56 #15 · p.56 #15 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

what about Amazon orders?

Nov 10, 2017 at 04:56 PM
jamato8
• • • •
p.56 #16 · p.56 #16 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

I don't think I could sell my A7RII. Works great but also due to the type of work I do, it looks like it has been in a war and that is fine with me. It has taken a lot of abuse and has held up great.

Nov 10, 2017 at 04:57 PM
mudlake
• • •
p.56 #17 · p.56 #17 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

I know this is just speculation, but I put in my preorder at B&H on November 5th. Do any of you have a guess when my camera might ship? I'm leaving on a vacation around December 22nd and don't want to miss the shipment.

Nov 10, 2017 at 05:19 PM
Wanny
• •
p.56 #18 · p.56 #18 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

My guess is Sony will be able to fulfill huge orders because its Sony. There may be some back order but I doubt it will be anything like the 850.

Nov 10, 2017 at 05:24 PM
DrShouter

p.56 #19 · p.56 #19 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

Preordered one, the shop owner called me today and the A7R III will ship next week (Austria/Europe).
So i have to decide this weekend A7R III vs D850

Nov 10, 2017 at 06:17 PM
absolutic
• • • •
p.56 #20 · p.56 #20 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

DrShouter wrote:
Preordered one, the shop owner called me today and the A7R III will ship next week (Austria/Europe).
So i have to decide this weekend A7R III vs D850

I am not pre-ordering (USA). Sony is not like Nikon, they always produce huge amounts of things. When A7RII came out, it was kind of a hot item, and sure enough I pre-ordered on B and H, and in a typical B and H fashion, they could not tell you much, then eventually, I was not getting any from B and H. So I cancelled my order with B and H, and I called around and there were plenty of A7RIIs at other places, I don't recall which one but I got mine from Unique Camera or Focus Camera (one of the two) with free overnight delivery. No more B and H pre-orders for me.

D850 is a nice camera, but it is a DSLR. Recently went on vacation with a DSLR and it was a frustrating experience, after having been using mirrorless for a while. Shooting on a beach in mid day with DSLR ... you have no idea if you got the shot or not, because you can't see much on a display, and OVF does not help. Good luck trying to take any videos. With EVF it is so easy, no brainer. So no more DSLRs for me.

Nov 10, 2017 at 06:28 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password