Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              64      
       end

Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

bclaff_too

Upload & Sell: Off
p.65 #1 · p.65 #1 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

snapsy wrote:
I purposely chose an ISO at the NR cutoff point. Here's ISO 25,600 just below it:

A7rIII vs A7rII vs A7sII vs A9, ISO 25,600, Low-Light scene (underexposed), normalized to same resolution

If I understand you then you are mistaken.
The first ISO setting with Noise Reduction is ISO 32000.
So I think of ISO 25600 as the cutoff.

Nov 17, 2017 at 09:37 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.65 #2 · p.65 #2 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

bclaff_too wrote:
If I understand you then you are mistaken.
The first ISO setting with Noise Reduction is ISO 32000.
So I think of ISO 25600 as the cutoff.

I chose a point where both cameras perform NR, which also is an ISO where the shadows are brought high enough into the midtones for the read noise differences to be obvious. And the NR is not nearly as heavy-handed as you would suggest (ie, being obvious enough to represent the difference in apparent noise to a casual observer) - in fact it's not even that obvious on an FFT, and wasn't obvious to most testers until a few astrophotographers using the A7s brought it to everyone's attention.

Nov 17, 2017 at 09:44 PM
bclaff_too

p.65 #3 · p.65 #3 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

snapsy wrote:
I chose a point where both cameras perform NR, which also is an ISO where the shadows are brought high enough into the midtones for the read noise differences to be obvious. And the NR is not nearly as heavy-handed as you would suggest (ie, being obvious enough to represent the difference in apparent noise to a casual observer) - in fact it's not even that obvious on an FFT, and wasn't obvious to most testers until a few astrophotographers using the A7s brought it to everyone's attention.

Perhaps we're debating word order.
You said "The A7rIII's read noise reduction is very impressive"
Which I interpreted as an impressive reduction in read noise.
But the reduction in read noise is very minimal and only at low ISO.
What you are seeing, if anything, is more impressive noise reduction at high ISO settings.

Not sure why you bring up the A7S, NR starts there at ISO 102400.
FWIW, my 2D FTs show significant NR for the Mark II and A7S; looks better controlled but there for the Mark III.

Nov 17, 2017 at 09:51 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.65 #4 · p.65 #4 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

bclaff_too wrote:
What you are seeing, if anything, is more impressive noise reduction at high ISO settings.

FWIW, my 2D FTs show significant NR for the Mark II and A7S; looks better controlled but there for the Mark III.

My mistake about the A7s - I thought it was at 51,200 rather than 100k. Here's a link for ISO 100k:

A7rIII vs A7rII vs A7sII vs A9, ISO 102,400, Low-Light scene (underexposed), normalized to same resolution

Thanks as always for the information.

Nov 17, 2017 at 10:06 PM
MaTiHH

p.65 #5 · p.65 #5 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

Damn DHL couldnĎt deliver in 24h. Scheduled tomorrow 10:30-14:30 CET

Nov 17, 2017 at 10:24 PM
C_n_red_again

p.65 #6 · p.65 #6 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

https://sonyalpha.blog/2017/11/17/sony-fe-24-105-f4-g-oss/

Looks like the 24-105 is another winner from Sony. At that focal length those are outstanding test shots. Bokeh is pretty nice to

Nov 17, 2017 at 10:25 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.65 #7 · p.65 #7 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

bclaff_too wrote:

Btw, I checked your read noise graphs and at ISO 51,200 they show almost identical results between the A7rII and A7rIII (link). Since these graphs represent the post-NR sampled results, what do you attribute the significant visual difference between the two (link for reference) in terms of qualitative NR difference, since your results indicate there is no quantitative difference? By attribution I mean engineering level observations of the method of NR being applied. To my eyes the A7rIII shows a much tighter noise grain and less magenta hazing - I'm surprised these would not show up in a quantitative measurement. Have you had a chance to compare the FFTs yet?

Nov 17, 2017 at 10:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Lifeinpictures

p.65 #8 · p.65 #8 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

B&H sales told me yesterday, that they had enough orders with Sony to meet all the pre orders and have a few left after for a first come first serve basis.

This comes as a pleasant surprise considering I waited till I sold both my a7r ii bodies and placed the order on the 9th for 2 A7r iii bodies.

I hope this is true and not B&S. I heard horror stories from people regarding their Nikon D850 preorders with B&H.

Canít wait!:

Nov 18, 2017 at 01:35 AM
GabrielPhoto
• • •
p.65 #9 · p.65 #9 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

Lifeinpictures wrote:
B&H sales told me yesterday, that they had enough orders with Sony to meet all the pre orders and have a few left after for a first come first serve basis.

This comes as a pleasant surprise considering I waited till I sold both my a7r ii bodies and placed the order on the 9th for 2 A7r iii bodies.

I hope this is true and not B&S. I heard horror stories from people regarding their Nikon D850 preorders with B&H.

Canít wait!:

Interesting. I contacted them at least 3 times and NEVER they were willing to give me any type of information like that. Only one company gave me info and was Sammy's.

Nov 18, 2017 at 02:03 AM
Lifeinpictures

p.65 #10 · p.65 #10 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

Yup, I was surprised too.
The seemed pretty open.

I am wondering if they did this to prevent too many people canceling their pre orders to look at local sources.

I am taking them at their word. If this is not true then I have to rethink my photographic purchases strategy. I have purchased a pretty substantial amount of equipment from them over the years.

Nov 18, 2017 at 03:45 AM
Mystik
• •
p.65 #11 · p.65 #11 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

Lifeinpictures wrote:

Canít wait!:

That means they ordered enough units to cover their pre orders. If there's a supply shortage, that does not mean Sony will send them everything they ordered. This is why most places don't give any indication of whether someone will make the first wave or not.

Nov 18, 2017 at 03:49 AM
Lifeinpictures

p.65 #12 · p.65 #12 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

Makes sense.
I hope I luck out though.
I was stupid to sell all my cameras including an a6500.
I will probably rent a camera if the need arises

Nov 18, 2017 at 05:24 AM
virtualrain
• • •
p.65 #13 · p.65 #13 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

GabrielPhoto wrote:
Interesting. I contacted them at least 3 times and NEVER they were willing to give me any type of information like that. Only one company gave me info and was Sammy's.

I have a pre-order in at Sammyís... what did they say?

Nov 18, 2017 at 07:50 AM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password