Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Smallest camera bag for a DSLR and medium telephoto lens?

theMAGE
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Smallest camera bag for a DSLR and medium telephoto lens?

As I will be travelling for a couple of weeks, I am looking for the smallest nice camera bag that will fit a Canon 5d and a 24-70 mk II lens, not mounted. I have a very nice Kata holster, but it can fit the 5d with a mounted 24-70 mk I and an additional lens or flash in the side pocket. But it feels too large to lug around for the whole day. I found Think Tank Retrospective 5, but even that seems large. Alas, I do not live close enough to a large camera store where I could spend hours finding the right match. What suggestions do you have? Thank you!

Oct 25, 2017 at 03:19 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Smallest camera bag for a DSLR and medium telephoto lens?

Try the Domke F-5XB.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/16009-REG/Domke_700_52B_F_5XB_Shoulder_Belt_Bag_Black.html

It fits a 5D + 24-105L with hood extended, a strap, a spare battery and a spare card (and not much more). I cover part of the large Velcro area on the front of the bag with gaffer's tape, to reduce the noise when you tear it open.

Domke F-5XB with 5DII 24-105L

Domke F-5XB with 5DII 24-105L

Oct 25, 2017 at 10:58 AM
theMAGE
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Smallest camera bag for a DSLR and medium telephoto lens?

Thank you, jcolwell!

I have just received it and it fits the combo like a glove. I like the padding and the fact that I can squeeze the lens mounted, or I can separate it from the body for a slimmer profile.

Oct 27, 2017 at 11:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Smallest camera bag for a DSLR and medium telephoto lens?

If you have 15 minutes to spare measure the camera and the lens and determine how large the camera bag needs to be (depends in part whether you want the lens pointing down or not in the bag). Then go to B&H and use their filters to select bags based on the dimensions you want. From there you will have a short list of bags and can make a decision.

One thing I look for in any camera bag is a flap to cover the main compartment rather than having to zip a lid each time I want to get to something, an external pocket or two for flash and filters, and a light colored interior that makes it easy to find things (the yellow interiors of the MountainSmith bags are great in this regard).

Nov 03, 2017 at 06:58 PM
swifty168
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Smallest camera bag for a DSLR and medium telephoto lens?

This isnít a camera specific bag but itís what I use.

Thatís a D700 with a 70-200/2.8E FL attached with hood reversed.
I used it recently on a trip to NY with a D700, 58/1,4 and 104/1.4.
Bag is a Wotancraft Nightrider. To be honest itís a touch heavy as itís all leather so go for the Easyrider which is half canvas half leather if you want something lighter.

I also use it as a diaper bag when Iím out with my tot.

Edit: Oops, didnít really read the whole thread carefully and I see youíve already found something plus the type of bag you want would have been smaller than I suggested.
Anyhoo, the info is there for others in case they are interested.

Nov 04, 2017 at 01:49 PM
jeraldcook
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Smallest camera bag for a DSLR and medium telephoto lens?

I have a TT Retro 5 and itís my go to bag when I want to only carry a my 5D4 with a zoom (either 24-70 2.8 or 24-105 f/4) and an extra prime. I think itís just about the perfect size. A speedlite fits well in the front too, if needed. The camera fits fine with either zoom attached.

But Iím going to check out the Domke too because you can never have too many camera bags. Right?

Nov 04, 2017 at 02:14 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password