New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Lightstands! Looking for a Better Lightstand

njfantastico
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lightstands! Looking for a Better Lightstand

My routine at a Wedding is always the same.

I set up my lights in advance, Heavy duty 13' light stand, 15 - 20 lbs of sand bags, and a studio light of some sort.

No sandbags and someone always trips over the light and i make a mad dash to catch it.

Sandbag and the thing weighs a ton, someone still trips over the darn thing!

ANYONE ever seen something outside the box when it comes to light stands?

Oct 24, 2017 at 08:41 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lightstands! Looking for a Better Lightstand

njfantastico wrote:
My routine at a Wedding is always the same.

I set up my lights in advance, Heavy duty 13' light stand, 15 - 20 lbs of sand bags, and a studio light of some sort.

No sandbags and someone always trips over the light and i make a mad dash to catch it.

Sandbag and the thing weighs a ton, someone still trips over the darn thing!

ANYONE ever seen something outside the box when it comes to light stands?

There are a couple of options:

1. indoor shots with lower ceilings use Manfrotto AutoPole's. no legs just a pole, caveat though, later in the reception some people may want to pole dance on them.
2. buy 3 more cheap stands for each light and form a triangle of yellow CAUTION tape around your main stand.
3. pay some budding photo students to be the light stand chaperone.

Oct 24, 2017 at 11:16 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lightstands! Looking for a Better Lightstand

Hang lights from the ceiling with scissor clamps. Lights will need remote control and battery power.

Ref:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/33229-REG/Matthews_429678_Drop_Ceiling_Scissor_Clamp.html

Oct 24, 2017 at 11:46 PM
Mitchell Carter
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lightstands! Looking for a Better Lightstand

I use a pair of Mole-Richardson baby rollers. No sandbags - they cannot be knocked over. If someone bumps into one, it'll just roll a bit.

Oct 25, 2017 at 01:40 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lightstands! Looking for a Better Lightstand

Mitchell Carter wrote:
I use a pair of Mole-Richardson baby rollers. No sandbags - they cannot be knocked over. If someone bumps into one, it'll just roll a bit.

Rollers are knock-resistant to be sure, although I would use a junior for extra protection: heavy but absolutely no need for bagging. Matthews Junior Low Boy to the right:

Oct 25, 2017 at 02:40 AM
njfantastico
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lightstands! Looking for a Better Lightstand

WOW, GREAT suggestions. The Mole's are EXPENSIVE! I'll keep my eyes out for those.

Hanging from the ceiling, is an option, now i need to bring my ladder, which is worse?

JB - my kind of answer!!

Oct 25, 2017 at 02:45 AM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lightstands! Looking for a Better Lightstand

JBPhotog is on the right track. Or get the lights up out of the way on ceiling mounts etc. as also noted, but this depends on the ceiling and what you can clamp to it, if anything. Does the wall have sturdy sconces? Confirm with the venue, then clamp to them.

Stands in corners, with chairs dragged in front of them, work. Even if you can't put a stand in a corner, putting chairs around it works - people see chairs, they don't see stands (or the splayed support legs). Of course, then someone takes the chairs - I haven't tried chaining / roping them together, but that would work.

Yellow caution tape I've actually used, I don't think it made a big difference, but it might help if someone was injured and sued.

Edited on Oct 25, 2017 at 02:56 AM · View previous versions

Oct 25, 2017 at 02:51 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lightstands! Looking for a Better Lightstand

Ceiling option is actually kidproof and drunkproof, so worth the setup time. Ladder weight replaces that of lightstands and sandbags. Ladder may even be available at the venue: someone has to change all those fluorescents!

Oct 25, 2017 at 02:54 AM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lightstands! Looking for a Better Lightstand

rico wrote:
Ladder may even be available at the venue: someone has to change all those fluorescents!

There is always a ladder, just need to arrange access in advance - and to be sure you have access after the event, otherwise your lights stay up in the ceiling!

Oct 25, 2017 at 02:57 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

njfantastico
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lightstands! Looking for a Better Lightstand

CHAIRS!!! Wedding 2 weeks ago in Myrtle Beach, had to place light stand in the side area middle of the room, not possible to place it any other place, used sandbags, placed two chairs around it. Thought i was golden!! Older man, slightly drunk kicks the chair, which hits the stand, HARD.

Less the shock to the stand and more the abuse to my light.

I wanted to kick him after he did it three #$%^@#'ing times.......

Oct 25, 2017 at 03:01 AM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lightstands! Looking for a Better Lightstand

njfantastico wrote:
[...] Older man, slightly drunk kicks the chair, [...]

a) once there are a significant number of drunks around, all bets are off
b) ouch.
c) I'm assuming he got some unflattering images for the wedding album?

Oct 25, 2017 at 03:13 AM
Mitchell Carter
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lightstands! Looking for a Better Lightstand

njfantastico wrote:
The Mole's are EXPENSIVE! I'll keep my eyes out for those.

Yeah, crazy expensive; I found mine on Craigslist dirt-cheap. Kupo, Avenger, Impact, ect. have similar for under $200.

Oct 25, 2017 at 06:48 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lightstands! Looking for a Better Lightstand

I ve seen weights that attach to the lower section of the stand that really stabilized them itís plastic covered solid weight that and c-stands are the best you can do, gorilla tape the ends of the stands and all cord coming from them it the best you can do for fixed stands voice operated is the next best option

Oct 30, 2017 at 08:57 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Lightstands! Looking for a Better Lightstand

I ve seen weights that attach to the lower section of the stand that really stabilized them itís plastic covered solid weight that and c-stands are the best you can do, gorilla tape the ends of the stands and all cord coming from them it the best you can do for fixed stands voice operated is the next best option

Oct 30, 2017 at 08:57 AM
njfantastico
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Lightstands! Looking for a Better Lightstand

Can you show me this mysterious plastic covered weight?

Oct 30, 2017 at 02:10 PM
njfantastico
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Lightstands! Looking for a Better Lightstand

Ordered and received a set of Mole Richardson's. They needed some work after being shipped, replaced out the caster wheels, did some cleanup and touch ups, and they are pretty cool!

Pretty sturdy, robust, ready to see them work this weekend.

Nov 07, 2017 at 10:16 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Lightstands! Looking for a Better Lightstand

Woohoo, Mole-Richardson: you travel in style. Second hand?

Nov 08, 2017 at 12:12 AM
njfantastico
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Lightstands! Looking for a Better Lightstand

They are older units, got them off Ebay, The seller came down on the price, i ordered them. When they arrived, they were not exactly as described, SO, i ended up paying $50 a stand, in the end. They are 12' stands, had to replace the caster wheels with better wheels i had laying around, sanded them a bit to knock off some rust and other stuff, may paint them, otherwise, pretty simple units.

Will keep my eye out for some nicer, but used stands in the future, like the ones in the photo above.

Nov 08, 2017 at 02:16 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password