New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Profoto A1 assist AF doesn't work

Gust
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Profoto A1 assist AF doesn't work

Hi, today I recieved my new A1.
the AF assist doesn't work with my 2 Canon 1D X MKII.
anyone who has also this experience or is something wrong with the A1?

Oct 24, 2017 at 05:56 PM
story_teller
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Profoto A1 assist AF doesn't work

Since there are currently very few A1 users out there, I would contact Profoto support and ask them. It may be a bug since it's a brand new product.

Oct 25, 2017 at 01:13 PM
Gust
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Profoto A1 assist AF doesn't work

Yes I did, but didn't receive an answer yet

Oct 25, 2017 at 01:40 PM
Gust
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Profoto A1 assist AF doesn't work

Also find out that the High speed not works with the Air remote TTL-C
A1 doesn't work like the B1, they are perfect
so some work to do for Profoto

Oct 26, 2017 at 06:39 AM
michafoto

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Profoto A1 assist AF doesn't work

Hi, I had the same issue on a Nikon and was told on another forum that due to technical limitations, AF assist only works with AF-S on. If you use and AF-C mode, so a servo based focus it won't work. And that's with every camera maker and affects not only not only Profoto on camera flashes....

Oct 26, 2017 at 08:38 AM
Gust
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Profoto A1 assist AF doesn't work

Yes Micha, but my 1D X doesn't work in all settings. even the settings with a Canon speedlight.
So I don't know if its a Profoto problem, or a 1D X problem.
Prototo doesn't react until now

Oct 26, 2017 at 10:10 AM
Gust
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Profoto A1 assist AF doesn't work

today several shots in High Speed settings with A1 on camera, faled.
only 10% light, rest dark. switching the shutterspeed to 1/3000 correct lightning. Switching back to 1/1250, again dark pics. Also in the middle of a shoot, 1/250 sec. the A1 doesn't light at all for several pics. then he starts working again, without touch the speedlight.
Profoto doesn't give an anwser yet.

Oct 26, 2017 at 05:41 PM
Gust
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Profoto A1 assist AF doesn't work

Profoto is going to change the unit.
get a new one one next week.

Oct 28, 2017 at 09:27 AM
thoang77
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Profoto A1 assist AF doesn't work

I'm totally of no help, but when/if you get it working (or anyone who has one working), can you post a photo or video of the AF assist beam? I'm really curious of the pattern and it's effectiveness

Oct 29, 2017 at 02:57 AM
ryuemura
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Profoto A1 assist AF doesn't work

Are you guys getting pre-production models? Here in the US, the A1 isn't available until the end of November. I'm curious about some of these initial issues since I'll be picking up a few of these next year in the Sony version. The first videos that I've seen on YouTube haven't had any problems, so I'm guessing it's just a bug that Profoto will fix in a FW update before the final production model.

Oct 31, 2017 at 07:57 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fotografpaul
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Profoto A1 assist AF doesn't work

ryuemura wrote:
Are you guys getting pre-production models? Here in the US, the A1 isn't available until the end of November. I'm curious about some of these initial issues since I'll be picking up a few of these next year in the Sony version. The first videos that I've seen on YouTube haven't had any problems, so I'm guessing it's just a bug that Profoto will fix in a FW update before the final production model.

No of course not, the A1 is has been released and sold for some time now. US market is a little behind for obvious reasons.

The final production model is what most people have, a few selected photographers have been testing out pre-production units but they now have final production units as everyone else.

Compatibility issues are not uncommon, especially on such newly released product.

Oct 31, 2017 at 10:50 PM
michafoto

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Profoto A1 assist AF doesn't work

I am very happy with the A1, the recycling time is amazing, the quality of light is consistent and really nice but there is one issue which bothers me a lot. I am mainly using it for the odd event, and those are often held in large venues without any possibility to bounce the light off the ceiling. So I have the 'Soft Bounce' attached to the A1 which again has a really nice light quality, BUT it makes the unit pretty top heavy, there is no lock mechanism like on Nikon Speedlights, and the tilt mechanism of the head is quite soft and not very firm, so if you tilt the camera too fast downwards the head also tilts downwards and the Soft Bounce which is attached via a magnet just falls off. I think this shouldn't happen with a 'Speedlight' in this price category and the only suggestion that Profoto gave me so far, was to turn the head 180 degrees around, so it doesn't tilt forward anymore, but now it obviously tilts backwards, they've even sent me a tutorial video from Sweden explaining me what to do and calling it a 'temporary fix'. I am curious if anyone else is experiencing the same problem??

Edited on Nov 05, 2017 at 10:07 PM · View previous versions

Nov 03, 2017 at 09:08 PM
stuuke
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Profoto A1 assist AF doesn't work

That sounds like a pretty bad design flaw. I hope they find a way to fix it.

Nov 04, 2017 at 04:05 PM
Gust
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Profoto A1 assist AF doesn't work

last week I got the new A1 and AF assist and HS sync is solved. work perfect.
the only thing left with both Canon 1D X MKII: sometimes the A1 doesn't fire!
Why? I cannot trace the problem. it happens randomly. even with a Canon Cord2 it fails sometimes.
1D X with the Profoto remote TTL it works 100%, no mistakes at all.

Does anyone outthere work with this combination?

Nov 05, 2017 at 09:25 AM
njfantastico
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Profoto A1 assist AF doesn't work

Profoto A1 - worth it?

I have the capital to get one or two, just not sure it's completely worth it?

Still not sure if 3 AD200 are = to one A1?

No plans to get and other Profoto units

Nov 09, 2017 at 06:58 PM
Fotografpaul
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Profoto A1 assist AF doesn't work

njfantastico wrote:
Profoto A1 - worth it?

What do you shoot ?

For the price of 3xA1 you can get a very good location kit with a lot more power.

Nov 09, 2017 at 07:03 PM
njfantastico
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Profoto A1 assist AF doesn't work

Weddings, head shots, families, Commercial, magazine stuff

Nov 09, 2017 at 07:29 PM
Fotografpaul
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Profoto A1 assist AF doesn't work

njfantastico wrote:
Weddings, head shots, families, Commercial, magazine stuff

Well if you plan on using the lights on camera, with little to no modifiers and need a fast light setup where the need of power isn't more then 200ws then it might be a viable solution. But again it's a very weak setup in terms of power and in terms of shaping the light.

Nov 09, 2017 at 11:50 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Profoto A1 assist AF doesn't work

Haven't yet had the chance to use the A1, but am curious about it, more so for weddings. If you're in a situation where you shoot a lot of on-camera (bounced) flash, reception coverage, often need to shoot rapidly and run into overheating with speedlights (i.e. the orange backlight of the Canon 600EXRT) at inopportune times, then the A1 might be a worthwhile consideration.

Yes, the Godox AD200 is cheaper and more powerful (on paper), but my colleague's experience with it at weddings indicates it also has limitations. It will trip thermal protection if shooting near full power and if that's HSS, it's in as little as 30-40 successive frames. Their radio system isn't bulletproof, but being unfamiliar with Profoto's radios, not sure how much better those might be. And you will still need something on-camera to either trigger the AD200s or as an on-camera supplement. Which means you're probably going to get one of the Godox Li-ion powered speedlights. The Godox gear is impressive on paper but in-hand leaves a bit to be desired in respect to build quality (more so the speedlights) and execution. It usually works but doesn't quite feel fully finished, if that makes sense.

It will really depend on your expectations, what you're covering and how you're doing it. IMO, if there is a piece of equipment that simply works and meets your requirements, yet is costly, it's worth getting if the cheaper alternatives are compromised. Unfortunately you will need to use the gear to really know whether or not it will meet your requirements.

It's still a bit early to know how the A1 stacks up given the limited release and lack of independent reviews. Gust's comments about quirks with the 1DXII concern me a bit, as that's one of the cameras I use, which has me wondering how long it will take Profoto to iron out such bugs. IIRC, it took them awhile to fix B1 compatibility with the 1DXII...

Nov 10, 2017 at 05:27 AM
MayaTlab
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Profoto A1 assist AF doesn't work

njfantastico wrote:
Profoto A1 - worth it?

I can't see a lot of situations where an armada of A1s would make more sense than other alternatives. Frankly, I think it's very simple : if you aren't sure exactly why you might be desiring an A1 (can't pinpoint the exact features that draw you towards it), then I'm fairly certain that it isn't a good idea to buy one. It should be fairly obvious.

I've used one yesterday for a short while. One thing that immediately struck me is how loose the rotation mechanism is. It's inexplicably weak to the point where I can see it being an immediate deal-breaker for a lot of people.

Forget about Ws ratings, it's only poorly correlated with light output between flash heads since it doesn't take into account the overall light "chain", and is in general a rather stupid way to compare strobes (unless they share the exact same flash tube / reflector design, for example a D1 500Ws vs a D1 1000Ws). As an illustration, if you were to compare an A1 with a B2 :
- if you're using the A1 directly aimed at the subject, with the zoom at the most tele setting possible, vs. a B2 with a grid : the A1 will send at least as much light as the B2 on the subject if not more, since its fresnel is an optical modifier, while a grid absorbs light rays (oh and it will be a much prettier light, because the B2 interacts poorly with the OCF grids for various reasons).
- but it you use the A1 with a white umbrella, then the power difference will be back to normal : the B2 will send quite a bit more light towards the subject.

This video might not be perfect, but it's probably enough to debunk the idea that Ws ratings are an intelligent way to compare effective light output :

In spite of using the same reflector, you'll see vastly different effective light output that don't match at all what you'd expect given the different lights' power ratings. There are various causes for that, some of which are mentioned in the video : flash tube design, flash tube location relative to the reflector, rear reflector design, etc...

Nov 10, 2017 at 11:56 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password