Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Just picked up film gear! - what film should i try?

AmbientMike
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Just picked up film gear! - what film should i try?

Dustin Gent wrote:
the one thing i remember about Velvia is that you can't over expose. I will pick up some Velvia, and from what i have read, the new batch Fuji brought back after the RVP 100 fiasco, is that it is the same formula. Plus for some reason the expired stuff sells (well lists) for the same price as new.

as for a light meter, i never had one before and did alright. Is there really a need for one? My camera has one built in, just like all the DSLRs.

While you don't want to overexpose slides in general, a lot of people exposed iso 50 velvia at 40 and maybe even 32.

I pretty much always overexposed print film, but not fujichrome 100.

Any meter reading is more of a starting point. A 1° spot meter might allow more precision, as far as being able to read a smaller area, but I didn't find incident meters to work on most natural subjects I was shooting.

I pretty much always just used the in camera meter.

Nov 03, 2017 at 11:33 PM
AmbientMike
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Just picked up film gear! - what film should i try?

Also, be sure to look up reciprocity failure, if you haven't already, and are doing exposures of several seconds.

Another thing about metering, people used to bracket 1/3 stop, to get a good exposure. But I'm not sure if you need to do that, if you're scanning.

Nov 03, 2017 at 11:47 PM
Magnus919

p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Just picked up film gear! - what film should i try?

Portra 400NC in a Mamiya C330... I liked it for an outdoor wedding. I don't think I'd like it for landscapes. I had no trouble scanning this, by the way. This is right out of the scanner. Kodak Ektar would be my choice for landscapes, and is easy to scan.

Mackiewicz-Day Wedding by Magnus Hedemark, on Flickr

Mackiewicz-Day Wedding by Magnus Hedemark, on Flickr

Nov 04, 2017 at 12:52 AM
Jon Buffington
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Just picked up film gear! - what film should i try?

Ektar and Portra 160 for landscapes.

Here are 2 examples.

Ektar from last month, canon 7ne and 24-105L

When I need utmost dynamic range, I shoot portra. Below, canon 7ne, 17-40L w/ polarizer, portra 160 shooting into the sun, no issues.

Nov 04, 2017 at 12:02 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Just picked up film gear! - what film should i try?

A good 1% spot meter is vital for landscape work with E6, if you get serious. It gives you accurate subject brightness range data in seconds, isolates specular highlights from surrounding content. Saves you a lot of wasted frames, with Velvia you have to walk away from a lot of compositions. It's a harsh mistress and a harsh drawing style, but it was regarded as better the Kodachrome. For C41, over-expose the box speed nearly one stop. So NPH 400 is best at 250, NC 160 at 100 and so on and so forth. Under-exposure is death for print film and over-exposure the same for transparency film.

Nov 05, 2017 at 04:53 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ISO1600
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Just picked up film gear! - what film should i try?

I'm probably gonna catch flack for this, but in my unscientific opinion, there is no reason to shoot any (E6) film below EI400 besides Provia 100F. It can push and pull from 50 to 200 very safely, if you work with a lab that offers that (and if you're shooting E6 in 2017 you should be).
It doesn't have quite the punch or look of Velvia, but it's easier to turn those up in post than shoot Velvia and try to get Provia's perfect grain structure. Provia will preserve more detail and more accurate colors. To that end, Astia is a little more muted and has more realistic skintones.

If you're shooting EI400 or above, Provia 400X is unmatched. There really isn't another color film that can come close, unless something has come out that has completely flown under the radar lol.

I've never cared for any of Kodak's colors. Fuji has always been THE film company for me, Neopan 400 had exactly the look I wanted with B&W, but I know it's not for everybody.

Nov 06, 2017 at 07:40 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Just picked up film gear! - what film should i try?

Now i need to get another Contax body so i can shoot two types of film. Forgot about that minute detail

Nov 07, 2017 at 01:02 AM
AmbientMike
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Just picked up film gear! - what film should i try?

philip_pj wrote:
A good 1% spot meter is vital for landscape work with E6, if you get serious. It gives you accurate subject brightness range data in seconds, isolates specular highlights from surrounding content. Saves you a lot of wasted frames, with Velvia you have to walk away from a lot of compositions. It's a harsh mistress and a harsh drawing style, but it was regarded as better the Kodachrome. For C41, over-expose the box speed nearly one stop. So NPH 400 is best at 250, NC 160 at 100 and so on and so forth. Under-exposure is death for print film
...Show more

Not sure if I agree on the 1° spot meter, but I just really like this post.

An explanation of what happens when you underexpose print film, if anyone is interested, is that you can't get the maximum black out of the paper. At least I'm not sure how you would, an underexposed negative doesn't allow you to expose the paper long enough to get the maximum black, unless you want a dark image.

Definitely watch contrast shooting chromes. I'd shoot around sunset, usually.

You might pick up a manual body, I think yashica has the Yashica/Contax mount, and should be cheaper than dirt. It's pretty easy to change rolls of film, midway, though you'll waste a few frames.

I didn't care for Kodak, either, I'd get pretty much anything else. The drug store, etc, brands were usually agfa, konica, or scotch, rebranded, and I'd use those, too, at lower iso.

One Kodak film I did like was Ekar 25. It had a different name, maybe just Kodacolor 25, later on. That might have been a different film? Idk. But you might look for it, it's so slow it might be ok way out of date.

Nov 07, 2017 at 01:31 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Just picked up film gear! - what film should i try?

i have 13 rolls (well 14 if i include the roll i already have loaded in my Nikon) of Reala. So i have been reading through tons of threads on various websites, as I will need to find a new go to film since Reala is hard to get (which is an understatement

Taking risks with old film I have no issue with. Colour shifts will happen, but can be adjusted to some degree. I am thinking of even trying some Kodachrome 64 and having processed in B&W, just to see the results. My go to lab in Portland will do this for $19 a roll., so i won't be doing this a ton.

I may pick up some Astia if i can find it. But i will need some fresh rolls as well. Portra may fit the bill - at least from the results I see online.

Over Thanksgiving weekend, I am heading to Bryce, Zion and Capitol Reef - and will be able to test several rolls of film and will report back.

Nov 07, 2017 at 02:44 AM
AmbientMike
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Just picked up film gear! - what film should i try?

Dustin Gent wrote:
i have 13 rolls (well 14 if i include the roll i already have loaded in my Nikon) of Reala. So i have been reading through tons of threads on various websites, as I will need to find a new go to film since Reala is hard to get (which is an understatement

Taking risks with old film I have no issue with. Colour shifts will happen, but can be adjusted to some degree. I am thinking of even trying some Kodachrome 64 and having processed in B&W, just to see the results. My go to lab in
...Show more

I'd shoot Reala some, but I didn't see a lot of difference in regular 100 & 200 fuji print and Reala. So I'd recommend this:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/93088-USA/Fujifilm_CA_135_36_Fujicolor_200.html

I'd skip the 400 and get the 800, if you need speed. Although I haven’t shot the latest emulsions

You get fogging, I think from ambient radiation, if it is way out of date. But for slow 100 speed film like Reala or 50 Velvia, less effect, afaik.

I saw some ektar 25 on ebay, but it was $20. I'm probably not that into it.

Definitely try different films for yourself, idk if I ever tried portra. But I didn't care for Kodak, in general. And I think it was more for portraits, which I didn’t do that much of.

Fun talking about film again and looking it up. Maybe I'll get some Velvia at some point.

Nov 07, 2017 at 03:41 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password