New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

LR CCC Performance

joelconner
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · LR CCC Performance

So, is anyone else having pretty much zero performance upgrade after a few days of use? I was really impressed on the first day...was very snappy. But, after less than a week it has already slowed back down to the LR6 point for me.

Oct 24, 2017 at 03:32 PM
lighthound
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LR CCC Performance

You are not alone. My first reaction was that it seemed faster at first but now it's much slower and even causing my screen to blackout when working on a large image file.
This was not happening with my LR6CC version. I've even added a little more RAM but it appears to be my CPU getting hit harder now.

Oct 24, 2017 at 04:40 PM
charlyw
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LR CCC Performance

IMHO much of the performance improvement comes from the new development process - are you maybe returning to processing images you imported previously to installing the update?

Oct 24, 2017 at 07:26 PM
g-money
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · LR CCC Performance

Are you referring to the develop module or culling or what? One thing I missed and picked up on it listening to a podcast is the little dialog box that popped up the first time I went to import regarding the embedded + sidecar. I clicked off of it and proceeded to import as normal. In order to benefit from some of the proclaimed speed boasts I think it starts with importing this way.

http://lightroomsolutions.com/embedded-sidecar-workflow-in-lightroom-classic/

Lightroom’s 7th incarnation – the so-called Lightroom Classic – introduces a new Embedded & Sidecar workflow which is designed to let you review, compare, and cull reject photos much faster than before. The key points are:

You must select Embedded & Sidecar in the Import dialog

Oct 25, 2017 at 01:52 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · LR CCC Performance

I can't speak for the OP but in my case this issue is inside the develop module and it affects both new imported images as well as older images. I noticed last night it actually started to lock up a few times.
Watching the task manager I could see my CPU nearly pegged once in awhile. RAM was never more than 50% or so.

I did check the "Embedded & Sidecar" option on my newest imports after the update but this issue seems to be widespread while working in the develop module.

Is there any new settings we should have turned OFF or ON now?

Oct 25, 2017 at 05:14 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · LR CCC Performance

It has gotten even worse for me over the past few days. It is just as slow as LR6 was at its worst times for me, and it feels slower. Going to cancel my new CC subscription and stick with LR6

Oct 26, 2017 at 06:14 PM
jlehet
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · LR CCC Performance

I'm finding it is generally better for me (Mac laptop). It uses a lot more CPU/GPU (machine runs much hotter) -- which would be good for performance if that is extra hardware hit is being used with any efficiency. Notable exceptions are the import itself and panorama stitching, both of which are dramatically slower for me. I had LR crash last night, which never happened with other recent versions before this.

Oct 27, 2017 at 11:42 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · LR CCC Performance

Are you guys using the initial release (v7.0.0) or the newer release (v7.0.1) ?
Did the newer release fix the issue ?

Nov 02, 2017 at 03:23 PM
rdeloe
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · LR CCC Performance

After a few days I'm seeing small but useful performance increases, and nothing is worse than LR 6

Nov 02, 2017 at 03:25 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · LR CCC Performance

I'm not seeing much improvement in switching between Lib and Dev or using sliders in Dev. I think 7.01 is worse than 7.0 but that is just a general impression.

The thing that has sped up my workflow is using embedded previews instead of letting 1:1 previews generate and then cull at 1:1. I just had to up my in-camera jpeg sharpening settings so that the embedded looks similar to my custom Lr import sharpening for 1:1 previews.

But otherwise I really don't notice much speed increase anywhere else.

Nov 02, 2017 at 05:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Zenon Char
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · LR CCC Performance

g-money wrote:
Are you referring to the develop module or culling or what? One thing I missed and picked up on it listening to a podcast is the little dialog box that popped up the first time I went to import regarding the embedded + sidecar. I clicked off of it and proceeded to import as normal. In order to benefit from some of the proclaimed speed boasts I think it starts with importing this way.

http://lightroomsolutions.com/embedded-sidecar-workflow-in-lightroom-classic/

Lightroom’s 7th incarnation – the so-called Lightroom Classic – introduces a new Embedded & Sidecar workflow which is designed to let you review, compare, and cull reject
...Show more

But you have to shoot RAW and Jpeg?

Nov 02, 2017 at 05:36 PM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · LR CCC Performance

arbitrage wrote:
I'm not seeing much improvement in switching between Lib and Dev or using sliders in Dev. I think 7.01 is worse than 7.0 but that is just a general impression.

The thing that has sped up my workflow is using embedded previews instead of letting 1:1 previews generate and then cull at 1:1. I just had to up my in-camera jpeg sharpening settings so that the embedded looks similar to my custom Lr import sharpening for 1:1 previews.

But otherwise I really don't notice much speed increase anywhere else.

For me it switches between Lib and Dev instantaneously. Exports are faster. Snappy everywhere.

Nov 02, 2017 at 05:37 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · LR CCC Performance

Zenon Char wrote:
But you have to shoot RAW and Jpeg?

Only for camera models that don't include a full size embedded jpeg preview like some current Fuji and Olympus cameras.

Nov 02, 2017 at 05:37 PM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · LR CCC Performance

I see. New to all of this. I found this checking out Adobe.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/photo-video-import-options.html#embedded-previews

Nov 02, 2017 at 05:51 PM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · LR CCC Performance

From the above link

Replace Embedded Previews with Standard Previews

The Library module retains Embedded Previews until you edit them or you choose to generate other previews. A preference setting in Lightroom Classic preferences allows you automatically replace Embedded Previews with Standard Previews automatically whenever your system is idle. To select this preference setting, do the following:

From the menu bar, choose Edit (Win)/Lightroom (Mac) > Preferences.

In the Preferences dialog, go to the General tab.

In the Import Options section, select Replace Embedded Previews With Standard Previews during Idle Time. By
default, this option is deselected.

Nov 02, 2017 at 05:52 PM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · LR CCC Performance

butchM wrote:
Only for camera models that don't include a full size embedded jpeg preview like some current Fuji and Olympus cameras.

Does this store sidecar files somewhere. I hate this things

Nov 02, 2017 at 06:06 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · LR CCC Performance

Zenon Char wrote:
Does this store sidecar files somewhere. I hate this things

No, there is no traditional XML sidecar file ... just a term used to reference the duplicate jpg file.

Nov 02, 2017 at 07:11 PM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · LR CCC Performance

Thanks

Nov 02, 2017 at 09:05 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · LR CCC Performance

Zenon Char wrote:
For me it switches between Lib and Dev instantaneously. Exports are faster. Snappy everywhere.

I just figured out two solutions to my slowness...
1) Move LR window to my lower res screen or make Lr window smaller on my 5K screen
2) Turn OFF using graphics card....this made the biggest improvement and now it is instant switching and opening the crop tool.

Looks like there are issues displaying to a 5K screen combined with having Lr use the Graphics card. Without using the Graphics card I can use the 5K screen (full screen) and everything is now pretty fast.

I will keep experimenting.

Nov 02, 2017 at 10:08 PM
davidrwilliams
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · LR CCC Performance

FYI, some initial performance comparison data....

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Lightroom-Classic-CC-is-it-faster-than-CC-2015-1065/

Nov 03, 2017 at 12:24 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password