New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Alaska by motorhome

pizdets17
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Alaska by motorhome

Considering taking the family on a motorhome trip, starting out in Anchorage in the first two weeks of June. Would love any advice on where to go and not to go. Should have about 8 days there. We did this in Iceland this summer and the family enjoyed their time, and I got 4000+ images - win-win! Tia

Oct 23, 2017 at 09:24 PM
MedicineMan404
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Alaska by motorhome

Dmitri, what do you want to see/shoot?
Places I like (Lake Clarke, Gates of the Arctic) aren't easily seen by RV
When you think about Anchorage there are only so many directions you can head.
South to the peninsula.
North to Denali
East toward Wrangel (doubt you want to take the RV on McCarthy Road)

I've seen quite a few fly-in and rent RV'ers do the classic loop-
Anchorage toward Palmer then Glennallen to Tok, Fairbanks and then down.
Anc to Tok 300 ish miles, Tok to Fairbank 200ish miles Fairbank back to Anc 360 ish
to give an idea of the miles.

Personally I could spend 8 days in Homer along

Oct 24, 2017 at 05:41 AM
pizdets17
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Alaska by motorhome

the usual, glaciers, bears, wildlife you know. Are roads same sort as Iceland over there?

MedicineMan404 wrote:
Dmitri, what do you want to see/shoot?
Places I like (Lake Clarke, Gates of the Arctic) aren't easily seen by RV
When you think about Anchorage there are only so many directions you can head.
South to the peninsula.
North to Denali
East toward Wrangel (doubt you want to take the RV on McCarthy Road)

I've seen quite a few fly-in and rent RV'ers do the classic loop-
Anchorage toward Palmer then Glennallen to Tok, Fairbanks and then down.
Anc to Tok 300 ish miles, Tok to Fairbank 200ish miles Fairbank back to Anc 360 ish
to give an idea of the miles.

Personally I could spend 8 days
...Show more

Oct 24, 2017 at 05:18 PM
dalite
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Alaska by motorhome

Kenai peninsula, boat trip in Resurrection Bay. Too much scenery and wildlife to see. Then, if you still have time (and you will likely not) you can drive to Denali.

Oct 25, 2017 at 04:59 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

MedicineMan404
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Alaska by motorhome

Roads in Alaska about equal to Iceland, maybe a bit better here or there and a bit worse here or there. In Iceland you stayed on the paved roads correct? and off the F roads? Same in Alaska, many roads you could do in 4 wheel.
Iceland and Alaska samie same on paved roads...they get beat down in the winter weather/the state repairs in the spring for tourist.

On thing though, you were safer in Iceland as far as crime goes. Famous old saying in Alaska 'the odds are good but the goods are odd', applies to many things but Alaska attracts different kind of people---not all like you and me wanting to enjoy the nature.

We've been to Alaska a couple of times, total. 8 weeks in the state and have seen maybe 0.0001 percent of it! Don't try to do to much in 8 days, and know it doesn't matter where you go in those 8 days you will see glaciers, bears, wildlife.
I remember once in Valdez, we'd been in town less than 5 min's and saw two black bears casually walking across the road--in the city

You have griz in your backyard Dmitri but I bet you'll see more on this trip!

Oct 25, 2017 at 05:32 AM
stanparker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Alaska by motorhome

The danger is trying to do too much in the time you have. Realistically, 8 days will allow a quick visit to Kenai Peninsula. An alternative is to visit Valdez and places along the route from Anchorage. Either way, there are glaciers and wildlife to see. I've taken an RV around the big loop for two months and didn't see everything. One of my favorites was staying in Williwaw campground in Portage Valley and visiting the quirky town of Whittier. Also, in the other direction, Talkeetna is fun and the place to grab a plane and fly over Denali.

Oct 26, 2017 at 02:12 AM
pizdets17
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Alaska by motorhome

great stuff guys!

Oct 26, 2017 at 06:41 AM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Alaska by motorhome

Alaska is more than double the size of Texas so best to select an area. Good part is that Anchorage is ideally situated to head out in any direction. Chugach State Park is nearly half a million acres in size with coastline, mountains, glaciers & lakes, plus camping, a ski area & nature center and it lies only 14 miles east of Anchorage.

My favorite places are along the Copper River Valley (glacier feed river with huge salmon) and the Kenai peninsula area which lies south of Anchorage.

Treat your clothes with permethrin solution (buy the concentrate and dilute and use garden sprayer to apply) and it will minimize mosquito bites and your family will only need to use picaridin 15-20% on faces and hands.

Valdez involves a train with flat cars for automobiles and they may take an RV but you will need to check beforehand. For a first trip I would stick with the immediate Anchorage area and Kenai.

Nov 04, 2017 at 06:05 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password