Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Do you use modifiers for your off-camera flashes?

Duckysaysquack
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Do you use modifiers for your off-camera flashes?

Due to some of your suggestions, I got the mag sphere for my main on-camera flash (thanks!) and I love it! I was wondering if the rest of you use modifiers for your off camera flashes or just leave them bare? I have two other flashes on stands. Was thinking of getting larger reflectors. I've been using bounce cards mainly. Thanks!

Oct 23, 2017 at 08:50 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Do you use modifiers for your off-camera flashes?

I use grids all the time for reception and getting ready.

For portraits I will use a softbox (like the Glow Parapop or SMDV 28" octa) with my AD600 light.

Oct 23, 2017 at 08:59 PM
Michael Beard
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Do you use modifiers for your off-camera flashes?

If I'm using an off-camera flash for portraits I use a 24" softbox. During receptions I typically leave the flashes bare. Sometimes I'll use grids if I need a bit more control!

Oct 23, 2017 at 10:04 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Do you use modifiers for your off-camera flashes?

Modifiers are lyfe! I'll use everything from the small Magmod stuff to a full on 60" octobox on a given wedding day. Just depends on how much time I have, how good my assistant is, and what I feel like doing.

During getting ready, I'll often pop a MagGrid on an off camera flash just to add a little more dimension and pop to the photos.

Grid camera left + window camera right:

Grid camera right + window camera left:

Or if I can get outside I'll use a grid and front-light the bride from inside the room while I'm shooting outside.

Grid to camera right of the bride, right inside by the window:

And then during portraits I like big lights + big modifiers. They give me more flexibility to shoot during the afternoon and not just golden hour. I'm always backlighting my couple with the sun, and then front or side lighting them with my light.

60" octobox camera left:

60" octobox camera right:

42" octobox camera left:

Or on a grey day with no sun, I'll add my own by backlighting them with a CTO MagGel. Bonus points for getting that "sun flare" from the flash.

MagGel camera left:

And during receptions I'll use grids to keep the light on the dance floor and keep the mood lighting of the room intact.

Grids camera left and right:

Grids + CTO gels camera left and right:

Oct 23, 2017 at 11:49 PM
macpro88
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Do you use modifiers for your off-camera flashes?

Nice work Mike! Gonna have to try out a few of these with my magmod stuff.

Oct 24, 2017 at 02:16 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Do you use modifiers for your off-camera flashes?

60 inch, wow. Mike do you have a designated lighting helper or do you have 2nd's set-up/move bigger lights?

Love those Palace Fine Arts looks. Whoa.

Oct 24, 2017 at 03:39 PM
Littleguy
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Do you use modifiers for your off-camera flashes?

For people who use grids - which basically turns them into spotlights - I am assuming you have assistants aiming the lights for you?

Oct 24, 2017 at 06:19 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Do you use modifiers for your off-camera flashes?

Littleguy wrote:
For people who use grids - which basically turns them into spotlights - I am assuming you have assistants aiming the lights for you?

I mostly zoom stationary speedlights to control spill on the dance floor (for instance), so I narrow the beam of light so that it falls into areas that I choose when they are predictable. No need for an assistant in these cases. I actually used a gridded AD360ii at a wedding last week for the first time with a 30 degree grid in the back-center of the room. It was rad and I'd do it again.

Oct 24, 2017 at 09:23 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Do you use modifiers for your off-camera flashes?

Littleguy wrote:

No. I simply aim them then walk out to the spot I was aiming at and look back at the light (or lights) It's pretty easy to see if you aimed them right.

Oct 24, 2017 at 10:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Do you use modifiers for your off-camera flashes?

LeeSimms wrote:
60 inch, wow. Mike do you have a designated lighting helper or do you have 2nd's set-up/move bigger lights?

Love those Palace Fine Arts looks. Whoa.

I have an assistant with me at almost every wedding. They handle the lights, setup stands, make coffee runs, park the car. My wedding days are ridiculously easy because of that. For 90% of the day, I'm running a 1-light setup handheld by them - sometimes it's a flash + MagGrid, sometimes it's an AD600 + 60" softbox.

Stands usually only come out for receptions or if for some reason I need lights for family photos.

Oct 26, 2017 at 07:08 AM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Do you use modifiers for your off-camera flashes?

Littleguy wrote:

Throughout getting ready photos and more journalistic situations, I usually have an assistant hand holding them. Every once in awhile I'll set them on a surface or use a clamp, but most of the time it's an assistant.

For reception, they go up on light stands. The dance floor tends to stay in the same spot, thus so do my lights.

Oct 26, 2017 at 07:09 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Do you use modifiers for your off-camera flashes?

what mike said... but generally no for assistants for grid'd lights.

Oct 26, 2017 at 12:57 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Do you use modifiers for your off-camera flashes?

Voice activated lightstands are wonderful investments

Oct 26, 2017 at 01:02 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Do you use modifiers for your off-camera flashes?

Only if those voice-activated lightstands understand how to adjust the light properly.

There are plenty of times I wish I had an assistant, but then I'd have to train them to understand lighting the way I do (or how I think I do anyway).

I don't use fancy or expensive modifiers. I only use bounce umbrellas. I can make a bounce umbrella behave similar to a gridded flash by collapsing it most of the way. They take far less time than softboxes to expand or fold, and they are much less expensive to replace when they inevitably get damaged from wind/etc. knocking them down. And, since non-contract photographers are so aggressively stopped from taking photos in/on many of the vegas resorts, it makes more sense to go compact and low-key whenever possible. My tools of choice are partly a result of adapting to security restrictions (and partly due to not having an assistant to handle bulkier things).

That said, my quality level has never been up to the same standard of some of the photographers on this forum. That's why I don't post images often or visit the forum as much anymore - I've become complacent and accepted my limitations.

Oct 28, 2017 at 05:51 PM
pasblues
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Do you use modifiers for your off-camera flashes?

You can also use shoot-through umbrellas or, as a portable alternative, the bare shoot-through of a multi-reflector pop-up is super fast if you have an assistant - flash on wireless remote.

Oct 28, 2017 at 07:36 PM
pasblues
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Do you use modifiers for your off-camera flashes?

Duckysaysquack wrote:
Due to some of your suggestions, I got the mag sphere for my main on-camera flash (thanks!) and I love it! I was wondering if the rest of you use modifiers for your off camera flashes or just leave them bare? I have two other flashes on stands. Was thinking of getting larger reflectors. I've been using bounce cards mainly. Thanks!

You don't need fancy stuff. A white piece of poster board...

Frankly, with the smart flashes that are made these days, DL can be pretty cool.

Oct 28, 2017 at 07:38 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Do you use modifiers for your off-camera flashes?

Off camera I use the Quantum Qflash and so have the option of going bare bulb, side reflector, full hood, umbrella, or a softbox. I favor bare bulb and the softbox.

Quantum and others make an umbrella type softbox with a diffuser that collapses like an umbrella reflector. Takes seconds to set up on the flash and when collapsed the softbox is only 14 inches long and easy to store in a Pelican type case with my other Quantum gear.

Quantum's FreeXwire provides 100% reliable TTL flash using RF for distances of up to 100 yards and no issues with whatever modifier is on the flash. I can turn the dial on the Quantum transmitter setup on the camera in 1/3 EV increments in seconds to dial in the amount of flash I want from the remote unit which is either on a light stand or attached to a monopod that is held by my assistant.

The bare bulb approach works great outdoors and in large indoor spaces as the light source is not direct as with a traditional speedlight. It is unlike anything else.

Nov 04, 2017 at 06:16 AM
Elijah
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Do you use modifiers for your off-camera flashes?

I donít remember the last time I took out my 60Ē Octabox when it comes to weddings.
Those things are ridiculously huge and uncomfortable to handle.
I have two Profoto B1ís and one B2. When it comes to OCF and modifiers during weddings, I almost never use my heavy B1ís.
My assistant will hold a B2 with the amazing Elimchrom 27.5Ē Rotalux.
Iíve tried many modifiers for the past several years (even Profoto modifiers) and nothing came close to elimchrom.
They're easy to setup, very light and look good

Nov 06, 2017 at 03:49 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password