New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Great deal on G-Raid dual 6TB drives and housing

Herb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Great deal on G-Raid dual 6TB drives and housing

B&H has a great deal on dual 6 TB drives and housing that will facilitate Raid 0, Raid 1 as well as other functions. Great for backing up photos and with file size growing you can never have too much storage. Normally $729.95 but the sale has $200 off!.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1122993-REG/g_technology_0g04077_g_raid_usb_g1_12tb.html

Oct 23, 2017 at 06:59 PM
sungphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Great deal on G-Raid dual 6TB drives and housing

Agh yes this is a really good deal. Love my G drives. Very tempted to pick this up

Oct 23, 2017 at 07:43 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Great deal on G-Raid dual 6TB drives and housing

sungphoto wrote:
Agh yes this is a really good deal. Love my G drives. Very tempted to pick this up

Yup, already had this setup, decided on another. It comes formatted for Mac, but can be reformatted for Windows. That is what I will have to do.

Oct 23, 2017 at 08:17 PM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Great deal on G-Raid dual 6TB drives and housing

What drives do they use? HGST, Seagate or WD?

Oct 23, 2017 at 08:18 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Great deal on G-Raid dual 6TB drives and housing

dolina wrote:
What drives do they use? HGST, Seagate or WD?

I do not know. They are enterprise level drives.

Oct 23, 2017 at 08:21 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Great deal on G-Raid dual 6TB drives and housing

There is no indication of the make or model of the drives, but the company is a part of WD marketed to Mac users, so it would use WD or HGST drives.
I suspect it might be HGST.

EBH

Oct 23, 2017 at 11:51 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Great deal on G-Raid dual 6TB drives and housing

Thanks Herb.
It's a tough call with the much cheaper My Book Duo 12Tb for $439. They use WD Red.
https://www.wdc.com/products/external-storage/my-book-duo.html#WDBFBE0120JBK-NESN

Oct 24, 2017 at 12:05 AM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Great deal on G-Raid dual 6TB drives and housing

dgdg wrote:
Thanks Herb.
It's a tough call with the much cheaper My Book Duo 12Tb for $439. They use WD Red.
https://www.wdc.com/products/external-storage/my-book-duo.html#WDBFBE0120JBK-NESN

pretty good price, only drawback I see is it is twice as tall as the G-Raid. Not sure why it is so tall.....

Oct 24, 2017 at 12:36 AM
Sam_W
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Great deal on G-Raid dual 6TB drives and housing

Herb wrote:

They're SATA drives, so not enterprise level. Hopefully they're WD Red or WD Red Pro drives, but, realistically, they're something much cheaper.

Also, pro tip, the "0" in "RAID0" stands for how many files you'll recover if a single drive fails.

Oct 24, 2017 at 12:37 AM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Great deal on G-Raid dual 6TB drives and housing

Sam_W wrote:
They're SATA drives, so not enterprise level. Hopefully they're WD Red or WD Red Pro drives, but, realistically, they're something much cheaper.

Also, pro tip, the "0" in "RAID0" stands for how many files you'll recover if a single drive fails.

you are probably right as I only know what the B&H page says... "Enterprise-Class Hard Drives"

Oct 24, 2017 at 12:41 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Great deal on G-Raid dual 6TB drives and housing

Herb wrote:
pretty good price, only drawback I see is it is twice as tall as the G-Raid. Not sure why it is so tall.....

On the old duos, and prob the new ones, the drives are vertical. Not much extra space.
The drives you mention are horizontally placed.

Oct 24, 2017 at 01:08 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Great deal on G-Raid dual 6TB drives and housing

Herb wrote:

Sam_W wrote:

Yet Seagate (Enterprise Capacity) and WD (Gold) both are described by the makers as enterprise class drives and available up to 12TB (He filled) in SATA configurations. They have 2.5 million hours MTBF and 1 in 10^15 UER.
I think the theory is that the dual drive ports/controllers of SAS are lost, but redundancy is maintained at a higher storage system level and the mass storage is economical overall.

EBH

Oct 24, 2017 at 01:11 AM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Great deal on G-Raid dual 6TB drives and housing

dgdg wrote:
On the old duos, and prob the new ones, the drives are vertical. Not much extra space.
The drives you mention are horizontally placed.

ok, but that doesnt account for the difference in height.....the WD that you noted is more than twice as tall......the WD is 7.09" tall and the G-Raid is 3.58" tall....the G-Raid is only 5.12" wide.....

Oct 24, 2017 at 01:48 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Great deal on G-Raid dual 6TB drives and housing

Herb wrote:
ok, but that doesnt account for the difference in height.....the WD that you noted is more than twice as tall......the WD is 7.09" tall and the G-Raid is 3.58" tall....the G-Raid is only 5.12" wide.....

Hmmmm

Oct 24, 2017 at 11:14 AM
Sam_W
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Great deal on G-Raid dual 6TB drives and housing

EB-1 wrote:
Yet Seagate (Enterprise Capacity) and WD (Gold) both are described by the makers as enterprise class drives and available up to 12TB (He filled) in SATA configurations. They have 2.5 million hours MTBF and 1 in 10^15 UER.
I think the theory is that the dual drive ports/controllers of SAS are lost, but redundancy is maintained at a higher storage system level and the mass storage is economical overall.
EBH

You are quite right, but the price point for those drives pushes them out of most people's reach. At least when it comes to pre-assembled mini-storage systems. Hence my assumption that it wouldn't be anything too fabulous in there, drive-wise.

Oct 25, 2017 at 04:01 AM
Grampy

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Great deal on G-Raid dual 6TB drives and housing

I just purchased a G Drive (G-Tech) 8 TB (2X4TB removable drives), model 0G0 5748 and hooked it up with the USB 3.1C. G tech (phone 310-449-4599) was very helpful in setting up the drive for Windows 10, as the drive is formatted for Mac. It is pretty fast, but every once in awhile it comes up and does not recognize the drive or says there's an error and can't read the drive. Then I reboot and a little message comes up thst says file corrupted and a program comes up and says to scan and repair. It has always worked after that, but has anyone else had this issue. G Tech said the reformat the drive, but I don't want to do that as it takes a lot of downtime to redo everything. I have started to turn on the G drive first and then my computer (new Dell about 4 weeks old with 500 GB Solid state for the operating system and 2 TB 7200 RPM storage drive.

Oct 25, 2017 at 09:10 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Great deal on G-Raid dual 6TB drives and housing

Grampy wrote:
I just purchased a G Drive (G-Tech) 8 TB (2X4TB removable drives), model 0G0 5748 and hooked it up with the USB 3.1C. G tech (phone 310-449-4599) was very helpful in setting up the drive for Windows 10, as the drive is formatted for Mac. It is pretty fast, but every once in awhile it comes up and does not recognize the drive or says there's an error and can't read the drive. Then I reboot and a little message comes up thst says file corrupted and a program comes up and says to scan and repair. It has always
...Show more

I have not had any kind of issue like that. Knock on wood no issues at all. I have a 2x6TB G Raid drive and just bought another. I need to format the newest one as that just arrive today. I have Windows 10 running on a Surface Studio (fully loaded). If there was an issue that I have is I need more USB ports. I bought a USB port extender but I like my roller ball mouse and it doesn’t like it when I hang other big memory type devices on that USB extender.

Oct 25, 2017 at 09:26 PM
Grampy

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Great deal on G-Raid dual 6TB drives and housing

Thanks Herb, but after I sent the text to you, I tried to access the drive and it said it had an error and windows came in and I had to scan and repair. I guess I'm going to have to call G tech and see if they can test drive for me. Do you turn your drive on after booting windows or before, maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Oct 26, 2017 at 02:32 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Great deal on G-Raid dual 6TB drives and housing

The controller might be faulty. I'd RMA it if possible. Get an entirely new unit.

Oct 26, 2017 at 03:04 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Great deal on G-Raid dual 6TB drives and housing

EB-1 wrote:
EBH

Sam_W wrote:
You are quite right, but the price point for those drives pushes them out of most people's reach. At least when it comes to pre-assembled mini-storage systems. Hence my assumption that it wouldn't be anything too fabulous in there, drive-wise.

No, I would not either. I would rather buy the drives separately. Given the Mac market I suppose most users don't prefer that.

EBH

Oct 26, 2017 at 03:02 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password