New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Own A7Rii .. Next A7iii or A7Riii

bwcolor
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Own A7Rii .. Next A7iii or A7Riii

I think that we all have some sense of what the new bodies will bring. I've just assumed that my upgrade path would take me to the A7Riii, but my only complaints are shutter lag, write time and autofocus when shooting sports. I don't really need higher resolution. I'm now thinking of keeping the A7Rii and going with the lower resolution A7iii. I suspect that it would better solve my complaint while keeping what I like about the A7Rii. What about you?

Oct 23, 2017 at 10:59 AM
Mirror
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Own A7Rii .. Next A7iii or A7Riii

Same thoughts here and I decided to go for a 2nd A7RII. Lens changes in the field are much lower and I am super happy with the A7RII as a landscape photographer. For sports it's a different situation of course.

Oct 23, 2017 at 11:04 AM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Own A7Rii .. Next A7iii or A7Riii

bwcolor wrote:
I think that we all have some sense of what the new bodies will bring. I've just assumed that my upgrade path would take me to the A7Riii, but my only complaints are shutter lag, write time and autofocus when shooting sports. I don't really need higher resolution. I'm now thinking of keeping the A7Rii and going with the lower resolution A7iii. I suspect that it would better solve my complaint while keeping what I like about the A7Rii. What about you?

You need an A9! The A9 made all the difference for me for action shots.

K-H.

Oct 23, 2017 at 11:46 AM
akclimber
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Own A7Rii .. Next A7iii or A7Riii

I'm facing the same dilemma. I'd like an all around great cam that'll be sufficient for landscapes, portraits and action (critters mostly) but don't want to drop back to 24 MPs. I'm not sure sure tho that the A7iii will only be 24 MPs so we'll see. And if they bump up the FPS to 8-10, that'd be awesome and bingo, that'd be my "affordable" general purpose cam. Luckily, I can wait out the winter using my A7rii and other goodies and see what they announce over the next few months. Interesting times indeed.

Oct 23, 2017 at 01:02 PM
PhilthePhrame
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Own A7Rii .. Next A7iii or A7Riii

I'm in no rush, but I suspect I will pick up an a6500 (or its successor) to complement the a7rii when I need quick autofocus. I'm afraid the a9 is not in the budget.

Oct 23, 2017 at 02:36 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Own A7Rii .. Next A7iii or A7Riii

PhilthePhrame wrote:
I'm in no rush, but I suspect I will pick up an a6500 (or its successor) to complement the a7rii when I need quick autofocus. I'm afraid the a9 is not in the budget.

Good thinking.

Oct 23, 2017 at 02:38 PM
akclimber
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Own A7Rii .. Next A7iii or A7Riii

PhilthePhrame wrote:

Yep. Depending on how things play out, I'm considering the same.

Oct 23, 2017 at 04:34 PM
MedicineMan404
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Own A7Rii .. Next A7iii or A7Riii

All will be revealed tomorrow.

Personally I'd choose a neat location over megapixels for landscaping, this one of my most favorited images on Flickr via a lowly 12mp camera (and 3 miles from the backyard)

Southern Appalachians in Winter (My personal best of the year) by MedicineMan4040, on Flickr

Oct 24, 2017 at 05:04 AM
bwcolor
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Own A7Rii .. Next A7iii or A7Riii

k-h.a.w wrote:
You need an A9! The A9 made all the difference for me for action shots.

K-H.

My complaint is related to shutter lag and processing speed, but I really don't need high fps and don't need two memory slots...would like but don't need second slot. I would like less/no evf blackout and more A9 like control surfaces..bigger battery nice, but not essential. So, maybe the A7iii will do and maybe not.

Oct 24, 2017 at 07:08 AM
Jimi3
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Own A7Rii .. Next A7iii or A7Riii

Yeah, I'm completely satisfied by the A7rii for most of my uses - landscapes and portraits- except that now I'm starting to shoot some action stuff, and the af tracking and write times are holding me up. Fps are ok; could use a little more but def don't need 20. Like others, I'm going to have to consider adding a theoretical a7iii with better af, or holding out for an a7riii and selling my ii. Hoping the A7riii/a9r isn't priced ridiculously out of reach. I can print 30x40 at almost 300ppi, so I really don't need more pixels at this point.

Oct 24, 2017 at 09:51 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.