New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Small Type in PS With a 4k IPS Screened Laptop

shutterbug guy
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Small Type in PS With a 4k IPS Screened Laptop

Like the subject line says, anyway to get PS to look bigger?

Although I love the 4k screen I suspect that it is the reason for the small PS program type, tabs etc. Microsoft Office programs arenít affected. Iím experiencing this with CS6 and CC 2018.

Oct 23, 2017 at 03:24 AM
engardeknave
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Small Type in PS With a 4k IPS Screened Laptop

Yes, in preferences>interface>UI scaling. But the only option is to make the text twice as large, which is too large in my opinion.

Oct 23, 2017 at 03:38 AM
shutterbug guy
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Small Type in PS With a 4k IPS Screened Laptop

I'm already on the large size and it's very small with the 4k screen. I have the option of small, medium and large.

Thanks for the help though, I'll keep looking. Perhaps I should contact Adobe.

Oct 23, 2017 at 03:53 AM
dclark
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Small Type in PS With a 4k IPS Screened Laptop

I believe you have set the "font size", not "UI Scaling", which is the item directly below font size. Set UI Scaling to 200%. That helps but it is not ideal.

Dave

Oct 23, 2017 at 02:42 PM
engardeknave
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Small Type in PS With a 4k IPS Screened Laptop

Scaling at 200% is huge on a 4k screen. Maybe what he said ^.

Oct 23, 2017 at 10:03 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Small Type in PS With a 4k IPS Screened Laptop

I had to get bifocals.
No tricks or setting changes worked on my win7 PC.

Oct 24, 2017 at 01:11 AM
engardeknave
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Small Type in PS With a 4k IPS Screened Laptop

https://imgur.com/a/C4tDH

That's actual size on a 4k monitor. (Don't forget to zoom in to full size.)

Oct 24, 2017 at 01:36 AM
shutterbug guy
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Small Type in PS With a 4k IPS Screened Laptop

I guess CS6 doesn't have that option (UI Scaling) just language and font size as I'm not showing one.

A quick look at CC 2018 shows that option and it does help a bit, at least it's improved. Now if there is a way to do the same on CS6. I imagine my CS3 will have the same issue.

Thanks for all of the help anyway. I'll keep looking as I'll be a diehard CS6 user until the cows come home.

Oct 24, 2017 at 03:20 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Small Type in PS With a 4k IPS Screened Laptop

Like many older programs, CS6 does not scale.
If the display has more than 2560 pixels wide fonts/graphics are typically too small when viewing from a distance where the entire image is comfortably visible.

EBH

Oct 24, 2017 at 04:01 AM
shutterbug guy
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Small Type in PS With a 4k IPS Screened Laptop

Just a word about my disgust and disappointment with Adobe and the 4k monitor issue. I've tried all the changes recommended on the first 2 pages of google search to no avail. I'm guessing I'll start using my 1080p monitor and the laptop's 4k screen together, perhaps it's a workable solution.

It's a shame that Microsoft even with all of their faults is able to work with the 4k screens and Adobe is hellbent on their new subscription service. Finding every chance that they can to promote CC thus leaving the 4k screen issue a problem for all of their past buyers.

All of my Microsoft Office programs work fine with the 4k screen. Subcribe to CC or go to....I guess.

Enough said.

Oct 24, 2017 at 01:34 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

charlyw
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Small Type in PS With a 4k IPS Screened Laptop

shutterbug guy wrote:
Just a word about my disgust and disappointment with Adobe and the 4k monitor issue.

I think the blame for the too small display has to go to Microsoft. I am a software developer myself and the whole GUI programming on Windows is pixel based, even the font sizes, there is practically no proper support for an UI that adapts properly to decreasing pixel sizes unless you do all the calculations yourself and live with a god damned slow UI because of all the extra work that has to go into it. Old programs don't do this shit because there were no high resolution displays on the horizon back then!

Oct 24, 2017 at 02:10 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Small Type in PS With a 4k IPS Screened Laptop

Microsoft leaves high pixel density handling to the software developer (as opposed to Apple, which handles this natively) . Adobe, for some reason, decided to not address this. I owned a 4K Windows 10 Laptop for a short spell earlier this year, and this is one of the main reasons I sold it. It just seemed like a waste to have to run a 4K laptop at 1080P just to use Photoshop. I'm sure running the UI at 200% on a much larger screen works okay, but at 15", it still sucked.

Oct 24, 2017 at 03:11 PM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Small Type in PS With a 4k IPS Screened Laptop

Try this, it works on my 2560 x 1440 monitor and CS6 (on Windows 10 64 bit):

1. Right click on your screen, goto Display Settings.
2. On the "Scale and layout" menu, select 125%.

Open your CS6 and see if it improves things.

Oct 24, 2017 at 10:37 PM
shutterbug guy
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Small Type in PS With a 4k IPS Screened Laptop

Thanks Romy and all of the others for the help and insights.

As per Romy, I'm already at 350%, going higher doesn't improve things and at 125% it's really small.

I'm starting to believe it's in the registry an item I don't feel comfortable or experienced with. I have tried adding the added files to the Microsoft and Adobe registries step by step with instruction with a couple of utube videos. Nothing bad or terrible happened and nothing was solved either.

I'll mull the situation for a few days and explore the options again. In the meantime I've got a HDMI to DP Display Port adapter ordered as my laptop only has HDMI and USB plus a mini port which I don't recognize. The Dell monitor I have is 1080p with VGA, DVI, Display Port and USB.

I'm hoping that the 1080p monitor will work for reading the PS menus, etc. and the laptop will continue to display excellent zoomed renditions of the viewed images. My only other option for now is to ditch the PS CS6 and subscribe to CC 2018. I'm sure Adobe would be pleased as this is their new marketing strategy and goal apparently.

Oct 25, 2017 at 11:07 AM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Small Type in PS With a 4k IPS Screened Laptop

My only other option for now is to ditch the PS CS6 and subscribe to CC 2018. I'm sure Adobe would be pleased as this is their new marketing strategy and goal apparently.

FYI, this also happens in the "CC" version, so no need to ditch your stand-alone as it won't solve the problem (unless you want to use "newer" features in the subscription model). My best advice is to simply down-scale your monitor resolution to 1080 and go back when you are done using PS. It's a PITA, but it works.

Oct 25, 2017 at 12:45 PM
shutterbug guy
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Small Type in PS With a 4k IPS Screened Laptop

gregfountain wrote:
FYI, this also happens in the "CC" version, so no need to ditch your stand-alone as it won't solve the problem (unless you want to use "newer" features in the subscription model). My best advice is to simply down-scale your monitor resolution to 1080 and go back when you are done using PS. It's a PITA, but it works.

Thanks for the reply.

Actually CC has a UI Scaling window which improves the 4k viewing however CS6 doesn't have this feature. Although it improves the CC some it doesn't really make it normal. Better than CS6 but not quite normal.

Heck, even DPP works normally among many other programs on 4k. I always thought Adobe was an industry leader in software, perhaps I was mistaken.

Oct 25, 2017 at 01:07 PM
charlyw
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Small Type in PS With a 4k IPS Screened Laptop

shutterbug guy wrote:
Heck, even DPP works normally among many other programs on 4k. I always thought Adobe was an industry leader in software, perhaps I was mistaken.

You are still barking up the wrong tree - Microsoft Windows doesn't play nice with high DPI displays. It is the sole culprit, all software companies can do is work around the massive issues that this shoddy operating system has with regard to 4k or higher resolution displays!

Oct 25, 2017 at 01:11 PM
shutterbug guy
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Small Type in PS With a 4k IPS Screened Laptop

charlyw wrote:
You are still barking up the wrong tree - Microsoft Windows doesn't play nice with high DPI displays. It is the sole culprit, all software companies can do is work around the massive issues that this shoddy operating system has with regard to 4k or higher resolution displays!

I beg to differ. Windows 10 is working fine on the 4k screen along with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. etc.

Oct 25, 2017 at 01:31 PM
charlyw
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Small Type in PS With a 4k IPS Screened Laptop

shutterbug guy wrote:
I beg to differ. Windows 10 is working fine on the 4k screen along with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. etc.

All applications written by one software company - Microsoft. Sorry, I am developing software for Windows and the GUI programming is a shambles when it comes to the need to adapt to high resolution displays, it get's worse if you also need to account for different languages than English.

That's why personally I have ditched Windows for my private use alltogether (I only used Windows where I couldn't avoid it anyway)...

Oct 25, 2017 at 01:54 PM
Odyssey1812

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Small Type in PS With a 4k IPS Screened Laptop

I used this work-around from a prior FM post (I can't seem to find it), but the link is below. This allowed me to scale up on CS6 on my 3820 x 2160 laptop screen.

https://www.danantonielli.com/adobe-app-scaling-on-high-dpi-displays-fix/

Oct 26, 2017 at 06:42 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password