New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Two Headshots

AlexCruise

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Two Headshots

I been doing automotive photography for the past 7 years. I am still learning on how to shoot people.

Comments & Criticism Welcome!

1. Mariana (Natural Light) - 2016

Nikon D750 | Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G
/2.2 85mm 1/640 ISO100 Flash (off, did not fire)

2. Nicole (Flash HSS In Wescott Rapidbox) - 2017

Nikon D750 | Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR-I
/3.2 190mm 1/400 ISO320 Flash (on, fired)

Oct 23, 2017 at 03:08 AM
Brev00
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Two Headshots

I like the quality of the eyes you got in both pictures particularly in the second. I don't think I would call them headshots. I prefer the second one. Lovely young woman and you captured her well. The background is simpler than in the first. I do not like the diagonal going into the woman's neck in the first pic. Plus, I feel the color of the background to be somewhat unnerving or distracting. I find it hard to focus on her. In the second, the background stays back. The blurred light horizontal bars running through her are not ideal but she does pop cleanly. I think the crops could need a little work. By going horizontal you provide nice negative space but you did cut off both of their necklaces and chop the second woman's hair in mid cascade. I might try a vertical approach next time or a vertical crop of these if there is any more to the bottom of the shots. I tend to like the idea of using the frame to echo and follow the lines of the subject. The second woman's hair flows down so I would create a vertical frame to follow that. Plus, you would not cut her off at her arms as you have. I don't think cropping mid chest is ideal. If you want to do headshots, then I think a tighter closeup is required omitting most of the background. The women's hair looks disorderly in both pictures. That should be simple to fix. I am not a professional portrait photographer so these are just my ideas.

Oct 23, 2017 at 06:07 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Two Headshots

Agree with the points above, both positive and otherwise. Good critique. I think a neckline (including the necklace and even the hair) needs to be shown in full in most cases. Cropping part way down a body can be a challenge.

A pleasing result in both cases.

Oct 23, 2017 at 06:58 AM
film_4ever
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Two Headshots

Image one has a strong green cast to it, that IMHO detracts from the image. I wish she was standing a little more erect. The lighting is really flat. I think a little pop of fill flash would have helped. (Too bad your flash misfired.)

Image 2 seems a bit better, but the colors are really muted. Not sure I care for the big blurry blobs on the horizon, especially the one on the LHS.

I think both images could be improved by a little cropping on the LHS.

Nice job. Thanks for sharing.

Oct 24, 2017 at 03:25 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password