FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2017 · Canon's Position in the Market

Gochugogi
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Canon's Position in the Market

johnvanr wrote:
I bet most Canon cameras don’t get sold to people who read DP review.

Ignoring smartphones, I mainly see the great unwashed using Rebels in LV mode at local events. Where I work, the local community college, most of the photography students have Rebels too. I guessing none of read DP Review either...

Oct 22, 2017 at 08:26 PM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Canon's Position in the Market

Gochugogi wrote:
The Canon T6 is the number one selling on Amazon's list. And there are 5 Canons in the top ten list.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Camera-Photo-DSLR-Cameras/zgbs/photo/3017941

I think Amazon is a better place to see popularity in terms of consumer sales as well.

A big part of ecommerce strategy for manufacturers is to get high rankings on searches on amazon.

Amazon search engine results are influenced by a lot of things - number of searches and "sales velocity" are two big pieces of that special sauce.

Oct 22, 2017 at 08:56 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Canon's Position in the Market

It's safe to assume that poll is populated by people that don't own or have even touched one of those cameras, but like specs more than results. dpreview is ruled by forum jockeys and rabid mirrorless fanboys. Even owning a mirrorless I only visited the forum a few times before I got sick of the moronic anti-DSLR abuse and inability to dare criticise mirrorless in anyway. You either with us or agin us.

Oct 22, 2017 at 11:30 PM
Patrick Cox
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Canon's Position in the Market

I guess I gave DPReview more credit than I should have.

Edited on Oct 23, 2017 at 08:28 AM · View previous versions

Oct 23, 2017 at 05:37 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Canon's Position in the Market

It has its uses. I go there for the news tab to quickly see whats up. The comparison tools are nice. I read an occasional review. I don't bother with the forums anymore as it's mostly trolling. The comments section on articles can sometimes be amusing as the ML fanboys chime in with their absurdity.

Oct 23, 2017 at 07:16 AM
Sy Sez
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Canon's Position in the Market

There are plenty of narcissist-Fan-boy's to "go around", weather on DPR, or FM!

They stand out by referring to anyone, or any site that doesn't support their narrow-minded views, in terms like "moronic"--"(If "you" don't agree with them, in every respect, you're a moron").

A Photography forum with the least amount of Fan-boy ideology is:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Oct 23, 2017 at 08:56 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Canon's Position in the Market

charlyw wrote:
That‘s not even a poll, it‘s a click/mention count and that goes ballistic whenever a new review is out (D850) or if there are problems with any camera (the reason that the Fuji have been constant guests on the list due to the x-trans snafu)...

So that means Nikons are only on that list because of recalls, and Sony because of defective lenses... then it makes perfect sense.

Oct 23, 2017 at 06:47 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Canon's Position in the Market

Sonys A9 on that list.

Its truly a remarkable camera. 20fps, no blackout etc etc.

But sony NZ expect to sell less than 100 of them. I doubt sony will sell that many worldwide.

I think canon will be happier with products like the 6dmk2 and 200D, whilst not lighting up the press I bet they are selling well.

Oct 23, 2017 at 06:50 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Canon's Position in the Market

Fuji's x-trans issue ( could well happen on sony too..) is really hard for them to fix so they just ignore it , told my x photographer mate to 'just not shoot like that' !

Oct 23, 2017 at 06:53 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Canon's Position in the Market

https://fstoppers.com/gear/what-lensrentals-2017-equipment-rental-trends-tell-us-about-photography-industry-200652

Canon lenses were far and away the most popular, taking up 9 of the top 10 spots, with the Sony FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM coming in at 5th and the Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II being the most popular overall, while the Canon 50mm f/1.2L was the most popular prime and 6th most popular overall. The first Nikon entry on the list was the 70-200mm f/2.8G AF-S VR II at 11th.
Sony is now a more popular rental brand than Nikon.
Sigma continues to gain ground, having become 20 percent more popular than in 2016. Fuji lenses skyrocketed, showing 96 percent more rentals. Sony lenses also increased 22 percent, while Canon and Nikon decreased 8 and 10 percent, respectively.
Nonetheless, Canon remains the most popular system at 37 percent, with the Sony E mount coming in second at 13 percent.
35mm and 50mm prime lenses have seen a resurgence in popularity. For example, the Canon 50mm f/1.2L moved up 3 spots this year and the Canon 35mm f/1.4L II moved up 8 spots. On the other hand, the Canon 85mm f/1.2L II lost 2 spots and the Canon 135mm f/2L lost 6 spots.
The Canon 5D Mark III and Mark IV were the 1st and 3rd most popular cameras, with the Sony a7S II coming in 2nd and the Nikon D750 in 6th.
Micro four-thirds rentals, though not highly popular, are up due in part to the DJI Osmo with Zenmuse.
Drones, though relatively new, have proven highly popular.

Oct 23, 2017 at 07:13 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.