FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

portfolio feedback... art edition

heikoM
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · portfolio feedback... art edition

Hi,

some of you know about my struggle to implement this other kind of look into my regular work.

I tried a separate site but did not have the time to promote it, so I got rid of that.

Now I implemented this different style on my site and made a separate portfolio, called it Art Edition.

What is your impression? Good or bad? What do you think? What do you feel?

Thank you for your help (0:

heiko

Oct 22, 2017 at 10:46 AM
heikoM
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · portfolio feedback... art edition

II

Oct 22, 2017 at 10:47 AM
heikoM
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · portfolio feedback... art edition

III

Oct 22, 2017 at 10:48 AM
heikoM
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · portfolio feedback... art edition

IV

Oct 22, 2017 at 10:49 AM
douter
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · portfolio feedback... art edition

Some interesting and imaginative work here Heiko, I like it.
Douglas

Oct 22, 2017 at 11:38 AM
dsouzl
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · portfolio feedback... art edition

I seriously like these! Not your usual "look and the camera and smile!". I think the second image at the very top is my favorite....but all have good appeal. Really well done!

Oct 22, 2017 at 11:55 AM
heikoM
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · portfolio feedback... art edition

dsouzl wrote:
I seriously like these!

Not your usual "look and the camera and smile!".

Really well done!

thank you (0:

oh, and we never did/do that (0:
the look and the smile...

heiko

Oct 22, 2017 at 11:58 AM
JacobsLadder

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · portfolio feedback... art edition

The objects like the lion sculpture, tables and apple don't resonate with me. I'm thinking if they wouldn't interest me as "normal" photos then they won't as an "art edition" either. It's not the technique or edit, it's the subject matter. I guess the same can be said for the images with people as well. The ones I like I'm sure I'd like as normal too, and vice versa.

I've followed your work here over the years and have seen variations of your more creative work. Honestly, I've loved much of it, and there are some cool images here, but in general this high contrast look isn't my favorite. But that is an entirely subjective and opinion, just as are the above posters' positive comments.

So for the art editions, are you offering entire weddings photographed solely in this manner? And if not the entire wedding, which parts of the wedding day would you use this style in? Or will it be in addition to normal images photographed simultaneously by your wife and 2nd? In other words, what is eventually delivered to the client? For a potential client I think it could be a little confusing seeing vastly different styles in the same website. Again, my opinion, but I could never see having my own wedding photographed completely in this style. Maybe portions, but not all. It's a style that, from these examples, tends to reduce intimacy, emotion and personality in favor of art. Not sure if I'm explaining that right. And again, entirely my opinion.

Oct 22, 2017 at 01:36 PM
heikoM
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · portfolio feedback... art edition

JacobsLadder wrote:
The objects like the lion sculpture, tables and apple don't resonate with me. I'm thinking if they wouldn't interest me as "normal" photos then they won't as an "art edition" either. It's not the technique or edit, it's the subject matter. I guess the same can be said for the images with people as well. The ones I like I'm sure I'd like as normal too, and vice versa.

I've followed your work here over the years and have seen variations of your more creative work. Honestly, I've loved much of it, and there are some cool images here, but in
...Show more

Thank you for your detailed feedback how this set works for you (0:

This processing does nor work well for all lighting situations, so it would be difficult to see the whole day this way.
But there are many images over the day that I like more when I see them this way.

Yeah, maybe it can confuse clients, but I hope they still like the site/the images enough to contact us...

The plan would be to deliver a normal set of the day with an additional Art Selection folder with some images in this style. As an addition, so to say.

heiko

Oct 22, 2017 at 01:45 PM
JacobsLadder

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · portfolio feedback... art edition

heikoM wrote:
Thank you for your detailed feedback how this set works for you (0:

This processing does nor work well for all lighting situations, so it would be difficult to see the whole day this way.
But there are many images over the day that I like more when I see them this way.

Yeah, maybe it can confuse clients, but I hope they still like the site/the images enough to contact us...

The plan would be to deliver a normal set of the day with an additional Art Selection folder with some images in this style. As an addition, so to say.

heiko

That info and clarification helps a lot. IF the art edition was a style I loved then I would totally consider adding on the additional Art Selection folder to my package. In terms of your portfolio, I'd love to see more images that show this style while also showing more emotion and connections. Ultimately that still has to be the foundation and focus of your work regardless of the style. I admire what you are attempting to do here. Best of luck!

Oct 22, 2017 at 02:04 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jasonhupe
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · portfolio feedback... art edition

This total reminds me of what a portfolio would look like if you asked Ralph Gibson to photograph during some weddings. That should be taken as a huge compliment.
I think this could be polarizing to some clients, but if they love it then you know they are a great fit for you.

Oct 22, 2017 at 02:09 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · portfolio feedback... art edition

Art divides the room

Oct 22, 2017 at 02:17 PM
Vancouver47
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · portfolio feedback... art edition

There is a lot I really like here, particularly the second and the two bride's eye captures. Thank-you for posting the series.

Oct 22, 2017 at 04:57 PM
heikoM
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · portfolio feedback... art edition

LeeSimms wrote:
Art divides the room

so, Lee, you don't like it? (0:

heiko

Oct 22, 2017 at 05:32 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · portfolio feedback... art edition

Sorry to confuse. I like it a lot, but anytime you push this far you're going to get polarizing opinions from even photographers (but you knew that going in).

We, too, have toyed with showing different photography styles to appeal to different types of clients but in the end I think it confuses. I think the style is compelling, and you enjoy performing it, so there IS an audience for it — but I wouldn't confuse them with traditional clients — and I'd keep the images marketed with a different brand.

I've said a lot lately that I think wedding clients are in media overload and if you're showing too many styles you will loose them. The internet, that brings us so many wonderful solutions, also forces us to focus as the marketplace is vast and attention spans are short.

I know it's a hassle to have a 2nd website/brand/identity but it's the safe play. You can identify two or three venues that cater to this sort of clients and make them a nice album and a couple of canvases. If they do a reasonable number of events, you could get 2-12 events a year out of it. Worth the hassle? I can't say but you'd be happier as an artist performing the service and if you style is the 'next big thing' then you have a foot in the door and your boutique brand becomes your main brand.

Oct 22, 2017 at 05:51 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · portfolio feedback... art edition

The image of the dad with the bride in foreground bokeh sticks to my brain like chewing gum. Many of you here have made some of my favorite wedding images and this is one of them.

Oct 22, 2017 at 05:56 PM
heikoM
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · portfolio feedback... art edition

jasonhupe wrote:
This total reminds me of what a portfolio would look like if you asked Ralph Gibson to photograph during some weddings. That should be taken as a huge compliment.

that is indeed a great compliment. Thank you Jason.

heiko

Oct 22, 2017 at 05:57 PM
DannyBostwick
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · portfolio feedback... art edition

My only concern is that I'd love to see some of these images printed. Do the heavily dodged areas print Okay? I love anything unusual, funky, with a general irreverence for tradition. Good stuff, buddy.

Oct 24, 2017 at 12:01 AM
sungphoto
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · portfolio feedback... art edition

I like this stuff a lot. I think what makes it solid is the consistency across images. I don't know if it necessarily evoked much on my end, but even that I think isn't necessarily relevant for this type of work.

Personal work (to me at least) is stuff that you're pursuing because it evokes something in you, and you want to follow it various directions, directions that perhaps paying clients wouldn't be open to.

I think keeping stuff like this on your main site under a heading of "personal projects" is a great way to show your flexibility past your normal everyday work.

Oct 24, 2017 at 03:10 AM
mgauthierphoto
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · portfolio feedback... art edition

Nice work, Heiko.

To be honest, I only feel a connect with humans as the subject. Inanimate objects don't do much for me, but that has nothing to do with your composition and editing abilities, which are both great.

Nov 01, 2017 at 05:04 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password