New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · HELP!!! Sports Photographer trying to make a dime:) senior shoot

Chad Bassman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · HELP!!! Sports Photographer trying to make a dime:) senior shoot

Hello - as the title suggests, I primarily shoot sports and occasionally get asked to do senior photos. This girl is a soccer player and we did a 2 hour shoot yesterday with the sun directly overhead without any clouds. Most are natural light with 1 or 2 that I used some fill flash. Don't sugarcoat and c/c you can provide, I've got thick skin! Thanks for looking!

Oct 20, 2017 at 01:16 PM
mikekeating
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · HELP!!! Sports Photographer trying to make a dime:) senior shoot

Those are great. I am in the same boat as you. My only nits would be with 2 and 3. On 2, I would have moved more to the right to remove the railing from the front of the shot and 3 the light is very hard on her hair.

Do you have anymore room on the top of 4? The hand is cut off.

Oct 20, 2017 at 03:18 PM
Chad Bassman
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · HELP!!! Sports Photographer trying to make a dime:) senior shoot

Thanks Mike for the feedback! The issue on 2 was that there wasn't the colorful bg if I moved to the right so that wasn't an option. Agree with 3 as well... I think 3 is the only one I used some fill flash on that I showed but still blew out the details in her hair. Unfortunately 4 isn't cropped at all and I cut off her hand. Definitely appreciate the c/c.

Oct 20, 2017 at 04:06 PM
mikekeating
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · HELP!!! Sports Photographer trying to make a dime:) senior shoot

If you crop in tighter on 2 you might be able to clone out the railing and not have it noticeable.

Oct 20, 2017 at 08:47 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · HELP!!! Sports Photographer trying to make a dime:) senior shoot

With the exception of No. 3, you're using the natural light very well. You're placing her in great light.

I'd toss No. 3. First, there's just too much of a dynamic range between the direct sunlight and the shadow. In fact, as a standalone photo, it actually looks like she's not wearing pants or anything.

I'm going to be a little contradictory here. I really like what you were going for with 4 and especially 5. They're heavily posed, but she's pretty much pulling it off where it doesn't look posed, esp with 5. With 4, her hair is just too messed up for me up top. If she laid her forehead down on the top of her head, I think I would have really liked it.

So while I like what was going on there, but a lot of these shots look posed to me. I shoot a lot of seniors, and my goal is to shoot every one of them differently. Sure, we need to figure out what to do with their hands but I try to keep it as real as possible for them. I also get a lot of shots in while they think I'm tinkering with my camera, so it's really as natural as can be.

This is a great start. You just have to keep doing these to hone your direction. Great job here!

Oct 20, 2017 at 11:36 PM
jrulison
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · HELP!!! Sports Photographer trying to make a dime:) senior shoot

Why didn’t you do any senior pictures of her doing her sport? I think you should have have exposed for the bright side making her darker when she is in the shadows and used a flash or reflector to get back in there with light. Don’t get me wrong your photos are fine I don’t think you did anything wrong. I just think if you want to take them to the next level and get some good money from your senior portraits you could do it. You can’t really google environmental portraits these days because so many people get it wrong but take a look at Matt Hernandez his senior portraits are perfect for you. Just my 2 cents.

Oct 26, 2017 at 08:10 AM
Smousefam5
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · HELP!!! Sports Photographer trying to make a dime:) senior shoot

Number 3 is my favorite. I love the lighting.

Oct 26, 2017 at 06:13 PM
Chad Bassman
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · HELP!!! Sports Photographer trying to make a dime:) senior shoot

Thanks Mike Keating... yes, I took your suggestion and that worked out much better. Here it is thanks to your suggestion.

Oct 27, 2017 at 10:23 AM
Chad Bassman
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · HELP!!! Sports Photographer trying to make a dime:) senior shoot

Smousefam5 wrote:
Number 3 is my favorite. I love the lighting.

Thanks Smousefam5!

Oct 27, 2017 at 10:23 AM
Chad Bassman
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · HELP!!! Sports Photographer trying to make a dime:) senior shoot

jrulison wrote:
Why didn’t you do any senior pictures of her doing her sport? I think you should have have exposed for the bright side making her darker when she is in the shadows and used a flash or reflector to get back in there with light. Don’t get me wrong your photos are fine I don’t think you did anything wrong. I just think if you want to take them to the next level and get some good money from your senior portraits you could do it. You can’t really google environmental portraits these days because so many people get it
...Show more

Thank you I'll take a look at Matt's pictures. Great question about why we didn't include her love of soccer... my fault, I should've insisted as she's a good player and played all 4 years.

Oct 27, 2017 at 10:25 AM
mikekeating
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · HELP!!! Sports Photographer trying to make a dime:) senior shoot

Nice

I like the new crop. Then again I am probably biased on it.

I go through the same issues with Senior photos and as a result probably take a hundred more images than I need.

Oct 27, 2017 at 03:17 PM
Lefkopml

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · HELP!!! Sports Photographer trying to make a dime:) senior shoot

nice stuff, spot meter is your friend when in direct sunlight. You blow the skies but maintain the person. A radial gradient can also be quite helpful to generate some depth.

Oct 30, 2017 at 05:11 PM
FoleyAMG
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · HELP!!! Sports Photographer trying to make a dime:) senior shoot

Hey Chad

Good stuff...I am sort of in the same boat, predominantly sports but I have been dabbling in more portraits and trying to learn how to use lights...I have recently starting playing with high speed sync...

Check out this link...in my portfolio check out pic#2, 7, 8 ...
www.photoshelter.com/user/SFPhoto
Details: Model was photographed with the Fujifilm X-T2, XF 50-140mmF2.8, with the new GODOX AD 200 strobe, in high speed sync. Exposure was: ISO 320, 1/8000, F2.8. The scene was outside in broad daylight

Nov 01, 2017 at 11:08 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.